Wiki Posts
Search

One Reason why OnePass is better than AAdvantage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One Reason why OnePass is better than AAdvantage

I believe CO will let you "split" a round-trip award ticket between "EasyPass" (aka PlanAAhead) and "Standard" (aka AAnytime) if the more restrictive award is only available in one direction.

AA makes you redeem the more expensive reward.

Of course CO's Sat-night stay requirements and general lack of availability are two big strikes against the program...

Just my $0.02.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 3:57 pm

That is nice, but I don't think it comes anywhere close to making up for all the other areas where CO lags.

I was able to use this feature to help liquidate my last remaining CO miles earlier this year.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ijgordon:
I believe CO will let you "split" a round-trip award ticket between "EasyPass" (aka PlanAAhead) and "Standard" (aka AAnytime) if the more restrictive award is only available in one direction.</font>
True. But PlanAAhead award inventory, on AA IMHO, is superior to that of the CO equivalent, thus sometimes obviating the need to claim an AAnytime award.

AA is also superior to that of UA and DL in this realm.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:20 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
But PlanAAhead award inventory, on AA IMHO, is superior to that of the CO equivalent, thus sometimes obviating the need to claim an AAnytime award.</font>
bingo.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:26 pm

Nice try Gordo-we can still hear you wheezing behind the curtain.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
bingo.</font>

Tringo!

Steve
Old Aug 6, 2003, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Hey, I almost flew CO this past week to use up the last of my OnePass miles. They cancelled the flight I was going to take with no viable alternative, so AA to the rescue as usual. I transferred the CO miles to Amtrak and don't plan to ever fly CO again. What a crummy airline.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited 08-06-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
OnePass is better? Give us a break Gordo! Try to use OP miles to upgrade an intl flight; or what about trying to get a free seat on CO? There are 2 areas where CO beats AA: free domestic upgrades for elites and Presidents Clubs are significantly better than Admirals Clubs. A few years ago, OP comped my AA Plat status to their Gold. Took two domestic trips and they upgraded me automatically to first at no charge. That was great. Then I had a trip to Tokyo from the states and there was no way they were going to upgrade me from Y. Took AA and easily upgraded my Y ticket with miles. Then I looked at the CO award chart and tried to book a free ticket-- a total waste of time that was. While I think AA's elite upgrade program (domestic) sucks- so expensive that 80% of my domestic travel is in Y, at least AA's Y product comfort is tolerable AND for the intl trips where upgrades really matter, AA comes through. OnePass is big on the upfront promises but not as big on delivering. My only hope is AA continues to take the high road. OH, and if I really do want to upgrade domestically on AA, even though I have to fork over a lot of stickers or $ to do it, I've never had AA not come through. They deliver as advertised-- OnePass is all sounds great up front but when it comes down to delivery, buyer beware!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 6:28 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ijgordon:
I believe CO will let you "split" a round-trip award ticket between "EasyPass" (aka PlanAAhead) and "Standard" (aka AAnytime) if the more restrictive award is only available in one direction.
</font>
Only problem with this presentation is that you would have to fly on Continental....I used up all my miles and basically gave up on them, I got tired of being enhanced and lied to all the time

------------------
AA member since 1981. Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Avek00 to the AA forum, Avek00 to the AA forum.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Running for Talkboard, All votes appreciated
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CMK10:
Avek00 to the AA forum, Avek00 to the AA forum.

</font>
God no! Can this thread die before we reach that point? Will we be saved?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry guys -- just though I'd stir up the pot because I'm minorly po'd at AA for not letting me do this.

And for the record, my last name is Gordon.

BTW, I've never NOT received an upgrade on CO, domestic or international, when I've been willing to use miles and have planned at least somewhat in advance, even when I had to get on the waitlist at time of booking. So, as long as I've been willing to cough up miles (and 20K r/t domestic on CO is a lot cheaper than 30K on AA), I've never had to sit in the (admittedly miserable) back.

I understand other people's experiences may have been different, so my only point is that Onepass may not be as awful as some make it out to be. And I'm not a CO apologist. I've had good and bad experiences on both CO and AA.

[This message has been edited by ijgordon (edited 08-06-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:13 pm
Suspended

...so my only point is that Onepass may not be as awful as some make it out to be.</font>
IMHO-- It's worse.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
So, as long as I've been willing to cough up miles (and 20K r/t domestic on CO is a lot cheaper than 30K on AA), I've never had to sit in the (admittedly miserable) back.</font>
For me, the one bright and shining light of CO (and NW) is the complimentary domestic upgrade policy for elites. But CO's award availability is atrocious, and its coach product is inferior. So I scratch my head when I read your anecdote about shelling out miles to garner a domestic upgrade. I presume you are a non-elite. If so, then why not fly AA where, when you don't have miles to burn on a domestic upgrade, you at least have a better coach seat (at least on the non-LRTC aircraft) and will be earning miles you can actually use without having to pay extra?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
For me, the one bright and shining light of CO (and NW) is the complimentary domestic upgrade policy for elites. But CO's award availability is atrocious, and its coach product is inferior. So I scratch my head when I read your anecdote about shelling out miles to garner a domestic upgrade. I presume you are a non-elite. If so, then why not fly AA where, when you don't have miles to burn on a domestic upgrade, you at least have a better coach seat (at least on the non-LRTC aircraft) and will be earning miles you can actually use without having to pay extra?</font>
Probably because CO devalues its mileage program by giving away nOnePass miles left and right to credit card companies instead of their valued customers. Personally, I've barely stepped foot on a Continental aircraft and yet I have hundreds of thousands of very useless nOnePass miles (though I have used the VS codeshare). In fact, the only times I've ever redeemed them was to fly someone else to see me!

If you fly very little, I suspect it would be very easy to redeem 20k for a nOnePass upgrade now and then.

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 08-06-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.