Wiki Posts
Search

No upgradeable seats 6 mos out???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

No upgradeable seats 6 mos out???

Hi All,
Trying to upgrade a DCA/MVD RT in Jan/Feb.
Have done this for the past 7 yrs w/o a problem. It's 6 mos prior to travel, the J cabins are virtually empty on all days that I could travel (from mid Jan through mid Feb) but every time I call, nothing is available. I'm Platinum.
Hesitant to do waitlist as I know sometimes you don't find out until you get to airport. Not sure I want to do the 9 hr MIA/MVD RT twice in 2 weeks even if I were in MCE. What's up w/ the upgrade availablilty w/ empty J cabins? Does anyone have any hints or know something I don't. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I just waited too long to book, but I though 6 mos would be sufficient. Thanks. GRF in DC
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum, where you'll find lots of information on upgrading.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
I appreciate the info
I'll follow your advice and hopefully find an answer
GRF
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Oh
And sorry for the misplaced post.
As the moderator, do you have any advice re: my question?
Thanks GRF
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by grf1953
Hi All,
Have done this for the past 7 yrs w/o a problem. It's 6 mos prior to travel, the J cabins are virtually empty on all days that I could travel (from mid Jan through mid Feb) but every time I call, nothing is available. I'm Platinum.
Hesitant to do waitlist as I know sometimes you don't find out until you get to airport. Not sure I want to do the 9 hr MIA/MVD RT twice in 2 weeks even if I were in MCE. What's up w/ the upgrade availablilty w/ empty J cabins? Does anyone have any hints or know something I don't. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I just waited too long to book, but I though 6 mos would be sufficient. Thanks. GRF in DC
AA is just holding them out for longer. I'm not sure about your specific route, but I've noticed this on some of my international flights. I was put on the waitlist for LAX-LHR about 7 months in advance. As an EXP, I didn't clear, and I sat in regular Y, not even MCE.

But I think my thing might have to do with everyone going to London for Wimbledon, or something like that.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From our forum's FAQ: How can I upgrade on AA? Can I upgrade on its partners?

From AA.com: The Who, What, When, And How Of Upgrading

FT: "Airport Upgrade List" - Standby, upgrade and the PALL List info for you

You could find upgradable seat inventory using ExpertFlyer or KVS, and book both seat and upgrade at the same time (call fee applies), but upgrade inventory is dynamic, revenue management based, as they'd prefer to sell Business seats.

And I'm not sure what indication of empty seats you're using, but seat charts only indicate unassigned, not sold, seats. A better indicator of upgrade availability at a point closer in might be the availability of lowest cost fares, e.g. J7, D7, I7. J2, D2, I0 would be a pretty negative indicator.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
AA is getting a lot tighter on its advance upgrades and release of C class. You don't note your status on your profile. As EXP, you'd likely clear before/at the gate requesting this far in advance. But with any other status its a toss-up. Maybe get an ExpertFlyer subscription and then do some searches on +/-3 days and/or set some alerts?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
AA is getting a lot tighter on its advance upgrades and release of C class. You don't note your status on your profile. As EXP, you'd likely clear before/at the gate requesting this far in advance. But with any other status its a toss-up. Maybe get an ExpertFlyer subscription and then do some searches on +/-3 days and/or set some alerts?
OP is PLT (and hesitant to waitlist).

Last edited by Djokison; Aug 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
It's 6 mos prior to travel, the J cabins are virtually empty on all days that I could travel (from mid Jan through mid Feb) but every time I call, nothing is available.
the amount of empty or unassigned seats is irrelevant to your situation, as every seat is not upgradeable. AA thinks they can sell those seats, and they probably can. The unsold seats will be made available sometime between now and when they close the door. I'd get on the wait list to be ahead of other PLTs, although any EXPs will be upgraded before you.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Tell me about it.. I bought my Peru trip 9months ahead and my swu is still waitlisted. The business class seats were all empty when I bought it, now 6weeks before the trip, there's only 8seats left... :/
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:36 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AAnerd
Tell me about it.. I bought my Peru trip 9months ahead and my swu is still waitlisted. The business class seats were all empty when I bought it, now 6weeks before the trip, there's only 8seats left... :/
yeah stingy all the way around. Booked to ANU in January for October. About 8 weeks out now the departure has about 8 empty seats on 738 and the return 6 days later still has 12 on the return on a 738. Ive looked probably once a week for the last 6 monthts and the last month Ive probably checked daily or 2x daily. Given my researching trends Ive kind of written off the departure and figure high rollin honeymooners will fill the 8 seats. The return on an off peak day, Ive got hopes I can snag one of those
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Last year I took two MVD trips and all four segments cleared on SWU's. I was Gold at the time and using SWU's from a co-worker. I'm trying to remember but I don't think I ever cleared more than 72 hours out and at least once cleared at the airport in the Admiral's Club. As a reference all of my trips were ticketed less than 30 days before departure and I booked economy for the exact dates I needed, not even checking upgrade availibility. My MVD trips are always fly overnight, relax the first day, work two days and fly back the night of the second work day. I thought the trip would be hell and truthfully it's not as bad as I thought.

Good luck
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:35 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Please keep the following in mind:

In order to ensure consistency between both carriers (US and AA), we have adopted a new policy of not releasing upgrades until 10 minutes before departure. We have verified with our customers that this is what they are looking for when they travel, and therefore this is also being done for competitive reasons.

Signed,

Douggie P

Just kidding...
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
If you really want to be depressed (or angry) try booking a premium class award at saver levels. At least the upgrades get released and are available- albeit only a day or two before departure. Not so the awards .

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Aug 9, 2014 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Hi All,
I am unclear as to why you would be hesitant to waitlist. Your priority vs. other PLT is determined by time of request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.