Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA242 ORD - DUS - Not Available After 10/24

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
IME they have re-booked me on another AA flight into LHR or MAD and then on to my destination, with the partner booking in a revenue fare bucket if they don't have the award space (they often book their own flight in a revenue bucket ). AA can force open award space on their own flights (not sure if that applies to US flights yet). What they can't do is force open space on partners, but they can book you on them at their expense and they have done this for me numerous times to various destinations. Note to the OP that it's not your problem they suspended the flight. They could try to force a refund on you, but I would push back.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:28 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
This thread was really helpful for me -- sadly, simply as reminder that there is (was) service to DUS. I'm booking a return flight out of MUC and was trying to figure out the best connection with upgrade space... turns out DUS-ORD has tons of C available (hence its shortened flying season...) and just snagged MUC-DUS (AB) DUS-ORD-SFO (AA) for early October. I'd been preparing myself to sit out a waitlist on LHR-US -- this is much better.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by umaa83
IME they have re-booked me on another AA flight into LHR or MAD and then on to my destination, with the partner booking in a revenue fare bucket if they don't have the award space (they often book their own flight in a revenue bucket ). AA can force open award space on their own flights (not sure if that applies to US flights yet). What they can't do is force open space on partners, but they can book you on them at their expense and they have done this for me numerous times to various destinations. Note to the OP that it's not your problem they suspended the flight. They could try to force a refund on you, but I would push back.
Thank you for this. As it looks like now, they'd have to open up two almost full fare seats on US to MUC and convince me that a one hour connect intl. to intl. as we enter the EU is appropriate. Not looking very viable.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by alien
What do they say when you refer them to their own announcement:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5807

edit to answer my own facetious(sorry) question: Phone agents are probably powerless to do anything until the computer actually shows the seasonal adjustments...

The phone agent I am working with right now is able to change my flight to LAX-LHR-DUS. She does have the power to make the switch, and give me confirmed reservations.

She had to do some research as the phone agents were not informed of the schedule change. It's real.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:39 am

Anyone else calling: Be sure and reference the AA press released in the "Newsroom" section of their website, under "American Airlines Adjusts International Winter Schedule".

Once I pointed the phone agent to that press release, I got re-ticketed and confirmed.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 6, 2014 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The phone agent I am working with right now is able to change my flight to LAX-LHR-DUS. She does have the power to make the switch, and give me confirmed reservations.

She had to do some research as the phone agents were not informed of the schedule change. It's real.
I'm presuming you were originally booked LAX-ORD-DUS. Is your new res AA/BA and if so did they ask you to pick up the added taxes from the BA segment ? Any idea if there was award space available beforehand ?

Last edited by idainc; Aug 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by idainc
I'm presuming you were originally booked LAX-ORD-DUS. Is your new res AA/BA and if so did they ask you to pick up the added taxes from the BA segment ?
There shouldn't be any additional taxes for transiting LHR. The collection of YQ/YR on BA metal but not AA is an arbitrary decision by the JV and can be waived by AA.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:04 pm

DUS-ORD change of airport of origin?

Hi,
I am another FT'er on one of the cancelled flights in November.
Would AA be willing to rebook from AMS or BRU (via MAD or LHR) to ORD or my final destination in the US?

I know ... I will have to call to ask, but nice to know what my chances are. I presume not too bad considering status, AA-invoked cancellation, etc.

Will I get miles of original ticket, or actual miles flown? I may be a bit tight this year to reach EXP, so an extra stop over might be worth it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for this. As it looks like now, they'd have to open up two almost full fare seats on US to MUC and convince me that a one hour connect intl. to intl. as we enter the EU is appropriate. Not looking very viable.
Your earlier post suggest you were heading to Austria or Greece. Not sure which. Regardless, one hour connection in MUC is adequate.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Zaynab
Hi,
I am another FT'er on one of the cancelled flights in November.
Would AA be willing to rebook from AMS or BRU (via MAD or LHR) to ORD or my final destination in the US?

I know ... I will have to call to ask, but nice to know what my chances are. I presume not too bad considering status, AA-invoked cancellation, etc.

Will I get miles of original ticket, or actual miles flown? I may be a bit tight this year to reach EXP, so an extra stop over might be worth it.
I think you've got a decent chance. May require some HUACA, but if the best alternative involves routing on BA to LHR, I don't see much of a difference -- just be prepared with the exact itinerary you want when you call.

ORC is likely to be tougher, though, since you're asking to take the shorter routing. If the 80 miles makes a difference, don't chance it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:01 pm

I'm presuming you were originally booked LAX-ORD-DUS. Is your new res AA/BA and if so did they ask you to pick up the added taxes from the BA segment ? Any idea if there was award space available beforehand ?
Yes, original booking LAX-ORD-DUS and back.

Yes, new res LAX-LHR-ORD with AA and BA. Same flights I've been on for the past 20 years going to DUS in November.

No to the taxes.

Unsure about award space question. I did not look. I just called in a mild state of panic.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:50 pm

I'll add this:

My Düsseldorf friend usually comes to the US in March. The DUS-ORD flight convinced him to switch his allegiance to AA. He was beginning to look forward to an award or upgrade in the near future.

Now, it's back to whatever.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Somehow I'm thinking this lowly lifetime gold isn't going to get them to open up two seats on two US flights and an AB flight. And if it involves BA I'm certain they wont cover the wild "taxes". And I don't want to incur an overnight along the way either.

I might prefer just walking away from it and getting them all re-deposited except the return is on another PNR that is dependent on the AA 242 itin. happening so although seemingly unaffected it would essentially be in vain.
I wouldn't be so pessimistic about this. As I understand it, you have an award ticket through AA on a flight which has now been cancelled. AA will likely be very flexible under these circumstances. About a year and a half ago I had an award ticket BWI-JFK-TXL-STR on AA/AB. After I checked in at BWI the BWI-JFK flight was delayed several hours, which made the connection at JFK impossible. As an alternative, AA offered BWI-LHR-STR on BA, with no extra charges.

I realize that your situation is different, but if you research your options I think that AA will adjust to whatever reasonable preferences you have.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I'll add this:

My Düsseldorf friend usually comes to the US in March. The DUS-ORD flight convinced him to switch his allegiance to AA. He was beginning to look forward to an award or upgrade in the near future.

Now, it's back to whatever.
This may be a one-off seasonal adjustment to accelerate the CIP program, but I don't have any data to support that theory. Only way to tell is to see what happens to the flight next year.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
I wouldn't be so pessimistic about this. As I understand it, you have an award ticket through AA on a flight which has now been cancelled. AA will likely be very flexible under these circumstances. About a year and a half ago I had an award ticket BWI-JFK-TXL-STR on AA/AB. After I checked in at BWI the BWI-JFK flight was delayed several hours, which made the connection at JFK impossible. As an alternative, AA offered BWI-LHR-STR on BA, with no extra charges.

I realize that your situation is different, but if you research your options I think that AA will adjust to whatever reasonable preferences you have.
Thanks and I hope so. We're going from PHX - JTR (Santorini) and returning from Athens. Going over, in todays availability, the connections are too tight for our comfort and we'd decline them all. I'd consider arriving Athens and I'll deal with the land portion. VIE - JTR has one flight that day and there really isn't a way to make it better short of overnighting at our expense or real short connections.

Hoping they'll make it right but as of now they haven't rebooked anything and I'm not enamored of long phone calls with them any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.