Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Changes to Long-Haul Schedule Announced 31 Jul '14 for AA/US (merged threads)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 27, 14, 3:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Europe changes: Beginning winter 2014, AA plans seasonal adjustments to the European schedule:

Short Suspensions (MAH4546)

● ORD - Manchester / MAN suspended between January 6th and March 29th (MAN still served via PHL, JFK)
● PHL - Barcelona / BCN suspended between March 5th and March 29th (BCN still served via MIA, JFK)
● PHL - Rome / FCO suspended between February 5th and March 5th (FCO will not be served with AA metal during this time frame)

Winter Timetable Suspensions

● JFK-Dublin suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dublin still served via PHL)
● ORD-Dusseldorf suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dusseldorf will not be served during winter)
● PHL-Zurich suspended between October 25th and April 14th (ZRH still served via JFK)

Milan / MXP Service Temporarily Merged

● Milan / MXP service will alternate as a daily flight between Miami (3w) and JFK (4w) between January 6th and March 28th, after which both routes will go daily again.

Code:
U.S. Gateway   Dest   Suspend     Resume
JFK            DUB    25 Oct 14   29 Mar 15
ORD            DUS    25 Oct 14   29 Mar 15
PHL            ZRH    25 Oct 14   14 Apr 15
ORD            MAN    06 Jan 14?  29 Mar 15
PHL            FCO    05 Feb 15   05 Mar 15
PHL            BCN    05 Mar 15   29 Mar 15

Brazil changes:

1 Oct 2014, US discontinues CLT-GRU, channeling customers to AA's flights.

VCP flights added from MIA and JFK, adding services to São Paulo.
JFK-VCP begins 1 Dec 2014, three times a week; MIA-VCP will operate daily as of 2 Dec 2014, both with CIP Boeing 767-323ERs, fully flat beds.

All GRU flights to / from JFK, MIA and DFW will be operated by Boeing 777-323ER / 77W by Dec 2014.

(AA PR Newswire, 31 Jul 2014)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 31, 14, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Lots of international changes announced today affecting US routes....and some AA routes as well. CLT-GRU to be discontinued permanently (No surprise at all). The other US route changes are seasonal adjustments

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...190000048.html

Last edited by Seat 1F; Jul 31, 14 at 2:56 pm
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat 1F View Post
Lots of international changes announced today affecting US routes....and some AA routes as well. CLT-GRU to be discontinued permanently (No surprise at all). The other US route changes are seasonal adjustments

Some interesting changes, such as the the three and a half week BCN and one month FCO suspensions. These coincide with some spring/winter break schedules, so I wonder if some of this is transferring widebodies to Caribbean destinations for a bit while some others are out for winter heavy maintenance, as well as maybe some more 767-200ER retirements.

I've always been surprised that PHL-ZRH was ever year round, especially since they only flew the 762 on the route rather than A332 with business class suites on what one would expect to be a higher yielding route. Last I flew it in the depths of winter there were something like 45 total passengers on it.
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), UA Platinum (1mm), HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by phlwookie View Post
Some interesting changes, such as the the three and a half week BCN and one month FCO suspensions. These coincide with some spring/winter break schedules, so I wonder if some of this is transferring widebodies to Caribbean destinations for a bit while some others are out for winter heavy maintenance, as well as maybe some more 767-200ER retirements.

I've always been surprised that PHL-ZRH was ever year round, especially since they only flew the 762 on the route rather than A332 with business class suites on what one would expect to be a higher yielding route. Last I flew it in the depths of winter there were something like 45 total passengers on it.
Yes....some of the suspensions are indeed very short. Nothing totally surprising here except perhaps the addition of flights to VCP.
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:11 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
US to cancel CLT-GRU

So many benefits to this merger! No filthy South American flights anymore. Let's work on canceling Europe service, too...

http://jansaviation.com/nc/news.php?...merica-service
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Major Changes to Long-Haul Schedule Announced for AA/US

Major changes have been announced by AA/US. I suspect some of these suspensions - notably the ones that are a very small period (as little as 24 days in the case of Philadelphia-Barceloma) - may be related to ramping up aircraft interior conversions.

Sao Paulo Changes

American will transfer one daily Miami-Sao Paulo/Guarulhos flight and three weekly JFK-Sao Paulo/Guarulhos flights to operate out of Viracopos International Airport, which is located about 51 miles Northwest of Guarrulhos. JFK-VCP begins December 1st and MIA-VCP begins December 2nd. These flights will operate with new-configuration 767-300ERs.

Overall frequency between New York and Sao Paulo and Miami and Sao Paulo remains unchanged (28w MIA-SAO and 12w JFK-SAO), it is just now being split between two airports.

The remaining three daily flights between Miami and Guarulhos will convert to 777-300ER service in the winter.

Service between Charlotte and Guarulhos will be discontinued entirely on October 1st.

Short Suspensions

ORD-Manchester suspended between January 6th and March 29th (MAN still served via PHL, JFK)
PHL-Barcelona suspended between March 5th and March 29th (BCN still served via MIA, JFK)
PHL-Rome suspended between February 5th and March 5th (FCO will not be served with AA metal during this time frame)

Winter Timetable Suspensions

JFK-Dublin suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dublin still served via PHL)
ORD-Dusseldorf suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dusseldorf will not be served during winter)
PHL-Zurich suspended between October 25th and April 14th (ZRH still served via JFK)

Milan Service Temporarily Merged

Milan service will alternate as a daily flight between Miami (3w) and JFK (4w) between January 6th and March 28th, after which both routes will go daily again.

Full PR:

Last edited by MAH4546; Jul 31, 14 at 3:34 pm
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Let the A330 painting, 767-300 and 772 refurbs get crazy busy during the dead of winter. A very smart move.

I'm a little surprised by DUS, but I guess they assume there's plenty of capacity in the AA/oneworld network to DUS from the US with AB.
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:28 pm

Programs: All of the Above
It will make life easier for a lot of businesses that are north of GRU by added VCP. In fact, I was scheduled to fly CLT-GRU next year, and will happily change to VCP if they allow it.
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is actually good news, as the new AA won't continue to bleed cash flying Brazilians from GRU or GIG to Orlando via CLT at low fares. It's a terribly inefficient way to cater to leisure traffic.

Before the merger, when the highest paid US Airways A330 captain made less money than the most junior AA MD-80 captain, routes like CLT-Brazil might have made sense. At the new much higher AA wages, there's no need for new AA to keep hacking at its wrists by flying money-losers like Charlotte-Brazil.

There's a reason that the CLT airport recently cancelled the new international terminal, and that is that 2015 and beyond will see fewer international flights at CLT than this year.
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:45 pm

Programs: All of the Above
FWIW, they say on the phone my flight isn't going to be canceled in April of 2015, from CLT-GRU. I guess the press release will take some time to filter down to the agents and computers....
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does AA have to relinquish the CLT-GRU frequencies (granted by DoT) and the slots at GRU (granted by Brazil) or can it transition those to another gateway?
Old Jul 31, 14, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidAL View Post
FWIW, they say on the phone my flight isn't going to be canceled in April of 2015, from CLT-GRU. I guess the press release will take some time to filter down to the agents and computers....
I suspect that inventory will be zeroed out shortly and the flight removed from the GDS this weekend. Doing that in advance would have permitted others to have the scoop (bloggers and others who monitor and publish schedule changes). Keeping the flight for sale until the press release was issued prevented others from stealing AA's thunder.
Old Jul 31, 14, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Just booked 241 DUS-ORD yesterday in. Dec using SWU.
Old Jul 31, 14, 4:19 pm
Used to be 'martinnj99'

No word on what the MIA-VCP and JFK-VCP schedules will be yet? Anyone know?
Old Jul 31, 14, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there really much demand for VCP? AA will be the first US airline to serve it, and 10x weekly is an aggressive starting point.
Old Jul 31, 14, 8:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather AA stop with adding so many flights to South America and to focus more on new cities in Europe and Asia.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: