Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Changes to Long-Haul Schedule Announced 31 Jul '14 for AA/US (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Europe changes: Beginning winter 2014, AA plans seasonal adjustments to the European schedule:

Short Suspensions (MAH4546)

● ORD - Manchester / MAN suspended between January 6th and March 29th (MAN still served via PHL, JFK)
● PHL - Barcelona / BCN suspended between March 5th and March 29th (BCN still served via MIA, JFK)
● PHL - Rome / FCO suspended between February 5th and March 5th (FCO will not be served with AA metal during this time frame)

Winter Timetable Suspensions

● JFK-Dublin suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dublin still served via PHL)
● ORD-Dusseldorf suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dusseldorf will not be served during winter)
● PHL-Zurich suspended between October 25th and April 14th (ZRH still served via JFK)

Milan / MXP Service Temporarily Merged

● Milan / MXP service will alternate as a daily flight between Miami (3w) and JFK (4w) between January 6th and March 28th, after which both routes will go daily again.

Code:
U.S. Gateway   Dest   Suspend     Resume
JFK            DUB    25 Oct 14   29 Mar 15
ORD            DUS    25 Oct 14   29 Mar 15
PHL            ZRH    25 Oct 14   14 Apr 15
ORD            MAN    06 Jan 14?  29 Mar 15
PHL            FCO    05 Feb 15   05 Mar 15
PHL            BCN    05 Mar 15   29 Mar 15

Brazil changes:

1 Oct 2014, US discontinues CLT-GRU, channeling customers to AA's flights.

VCP flights added from MIA and JFK, adding services to São Paulo.
JFK-VCP begins 1 Dec 2014, three times a week; MIA-VCP will operate daily as of 2 Dec 2014, both with CIP Boeing 767-323ERs, fully flat beds.

All GRU flights to / from JFK, MIA and DFW will be operated by Boeing 777-323ER / 77W by Dec 2014.

(AA PR Newswire, 31 Jul 2014)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Long-Haul Schedule Announced 31 Jul '14 for AA/US (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: BA
AA starts service between VCP and MIA/NYC (subject to govt approval??)

http://airlineroute.net/2014/08/26/aa-vcp-dec14/

I found several flights starting in December between Sao Paulo's VCP airport and NYC's JFK Airport as well as Miami Airport. They all say "Service between SAO and NYC is subject to government approval". Why do I need government approval to fly between Sao Paulo and NYC?

Last edited by wiivile; Aug 27, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You don't; the airline does.

When it comes to international flights, each country gets to decide what to allow. If Brazil wants a Brazilian carrier to be able to fly a new route to the U.S., Brazil might not permit a U.S. carrier to fly a new route to Brazil until the U.S. allows the Brazilian carrier to fly a new route. Or vice versa.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:43 am

At least in Brazil (I'm not sure about the US), the regulator (ANAC) must approve ("conceder a licença") for all flights, domestic and international alike, as it is a public concession.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is true worldwide. Few countries grant a carrier landing rights without an approval process. All this means is that you should understand that if the government does not approve the landing rights, the route goes away.

"You" only need approval if you are a carrier !
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Often1
"You" only need approval if you are a carrier !
Or if you're going to Cuba I guess? haha
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum (where these flights have been discussed) and merged into that thread (a member has brought the specific thread to the moderators' attention - thanks).

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Often1
This is true worldwide. Few countries grant a carrier landing rights without an approval process. All this means is that you should understand that if the government does not approve the landing rights, the route goes away.
More true than it used to be, with CA/US/EU open skies!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by wiivile
Or if you're going to Cuba I guess? haha
Or Russia
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:12 am

I am confused by the decision to change several NYC routes from GRU to VCP. VCP is really inconvenient for most travelers to Sao Paulo and is a few hours away from the city center of Sao Paulo.

A lot of people flying to Sao Paulo may not realize that VCP is very far from Sao Paulo (city).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by wiivile
I am confused by the decision to change several NYC routes from GRU to VCP. VCP is really inconvenient for most travelers to Sao Paulo and is a few hours away from the city center of Sao Paulo.

A lot of people flying to Sao Paulo may not realize that VCP is very far from Sao Paulo (city).
I am scheduled to return from Sao Paulo on 1/4 from VCP to JFK. My son, daughter in-law and grandson live in Itaquera, which is just a short 20 minute drive to GRU. From Itaquera, it is a two plus hour drive, and on the Sunday after New Years, probably longer. I'm not sure what services are available to AA customers at this airport as the main carrier using the airport is Azul with the other Brazilian carriers all having beachheads as well. Flight 958 was the second flight from GRU to JFK but is now switched to VCP. It also appears the aircraft has changed as it was a 772 and is now a 763 with the new international configuration. I will post my experience when I return next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.