Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Outbound in Y fare class inbound in N fare class. Automatic upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

"Complementary 500-mile upgrades are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum members holding any ticket and AAdvangage Platinum and Gold members holding a Y or B, full fare, economy ticket"

So does this mean I will get (potentially) upgraded on the outbound flight? Or due to my inbound fare class being N negate the outbound leg fare class?

I take it I'll know 72 hours before departure whether the upgrade cleared. Is there a way of checking the pecking order like they do on United?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by inpd
"Complementary 500-mile upgrades are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum members holding any ticket and AAdvangage Platinum and Gold members holding a Y or B, full fare, economy ticket"

So does this mean I will get (potentially) upgraded on the outbound flight? Or due to my inbound fare class being N negate the outbound leg fare class?

I take it I'll know 72 hours before departure whether the upgrade cleared. Is there a way of checking the pecking order like they do on United?
Each way stands on its own - but you must have purchased the outbound Y/B fare - not been reassigned it due to a schedule change or IRROP. Assuming you paid for Y/B fare, if your request is granted, you will not need stickers if elite, non-EXP. You can use the web app from T-4 to check where in the list you are, but normal rules for ordering apply.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
You may be aware, but you must request the upgrade ahead of time and the earlier the better, since you're ordered within your elite group by date/time of request.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

What elite level are you with AA? And why do you say that you'll know whether your upgrade has cleared at T - 72?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anotherlad
You may be aware, but you must request the upgrade ahead of time and the earlier the better, since you're ordered within your elite group by date/time of request.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I'm a new status matched PLAT whose flown with United for the last 10+ years.

It says I'll need 3 500 mile coupons, but I presume that will be waived since its a Y fare class ticket.

Last edited by inpd; Jul 30, 2014 at 7:17 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks. I didn't know that. I'm a new status matched PLAT whose flown with United for the last 10+ years.

It says I'll need 3 500 mile coupons, but I presume that will be waived since its a Y fare class ticket.
Yes.

It could clear any time after 72 hours out, though.

The Y fare class will put you ahead of other PLTs trying to upgrade (but behind EXPs in any fare class).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm...it should show that segment as not requiring any coupons (but 3 on the return segment), but I don't have any recent experience on a Y fare. You sure this is a true Y fare? I'm not sure if government Y fares qualify. I ask because it's very unusual to end up with a domestic Y fare - there's almost always a B or even H fare with no advance purchase requirements, and it's also uncommon to see only Y inventory availability and no B/H.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmmm...it should show that segment as not requiring any coupons (but 3 on the return segment), but I don't have any recent experience on a Y fare. You sure this is a true Y fare? I'm not sure if government Y fares qualify. I ask because it's very unusual to end up with a domestic Y fare - there's almost always a B or even H fare with no advance purchase requirements, and it's also uncommon to see only Y inventory availability and no B/H.

Thanks. All it says on AA.com is "Booking Code : Y" so why wouldn't it be a Y fare. Though I agree, its a bit odd to ask for 3 coupons given its supposed to be complimentary!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. All it says on AA.com is "Booking Code : Y" so why wouldn't it be a Y fare. Though I agree, its a bit odd to ask for 3 coupons given its supposed to be complimentary!
How did you book the ticket?

I just checked by starting a (Hayes) dummy reservation, and it is in fact showing 0 upgrades required next to the check box (happens to be a B fare, and I'm Gold). So it's quite possible your booking is some sort of special Y fare that is not eligible for the complimentary elite upgrade. But not something that could be booked on AA.com.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Can you check the actual, detailed fare code? (Some have used the AA Refunds site to see there.)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Here is how you know if you have a "Y" fare, versus having a "Y" class of service (booking code). At the time you booked the ticket, did you say to yourself "Wow, did I book a flight to Europe by mistake?" If not, it probably isn't "Y."
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by sbrower
Here is how you know if you have a "Y" fare, versus having a "Y" class of service (booking code). At the time you booked the ticket, did you say to yourself "Wow, did I book a flight to Europe by mistake?" If not, it probably isn't "Y."
I think in many cases the reaction would be more like "Wow - did I just buy my own plane?".
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
The ticket was booked by a third party entity so I never saw the fare. Are you saying government fares (i.e. if AA is the government carrier on the route) do not qualify for free upgrades even if the fare class is Y?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are you saying government fares (i.e. if AA is the government carrier on the route) do not qualify for free upgrades even if the fare class is Y?
Correct:

AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members receive complimentary upgrades from full-fare Economy Class tickets (fares booked in Y or B, excluding military/government fares).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...m=Nav#overview

If AA.com is showing that you need '3 coupons' for your upgrade I would suspect you have a Y fare that does not qualify.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
The ticket was booked by a third party entity so I never saw the fare. Are you saying government fares (i.e. if AA is the government carrier on the route) do not qualify for free upgrades even if the fare class is Y?
booking code is not fare code basis. Call AA and ask. "what is the complete fare code for the outbound leg?"

You could be on a YNRA7B (just made that up) and they do not consider that a full Y fare.

Just ask, not a big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.