Wiki Posts
Search

Will I earn miles? AA - operated by Cathay and JAL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Will I earn miles? AA - operated by Cathay and JAL

Hi there -

I am looking at purchasing a flight through AA.com where each leg is operated by either Cathay Pacific or JAL. I called AA and the representative said that the class I am booking, I wouldn't earn any miles on either flight. I flew a Q class AA ticket a year or so ago that was also operated by Cathay Pacific and remember receiving miles. Can anyone help me decode? I'm AA Gold and have a Platinum AA Visa if that matters. Thanks!!

American Airlines 8927
Operated by Cathay Pacific Airways
New York (JFK)
September 19, 2014 01:30 AM
Travel Time : 15 h 50 m
Cabin Class : Economy
Seat : unassigned
Hong Kong (HKG)
September 20, 2014 05:20 AM
Booking Code : L

Plane Type : 773
American Airlines 8915
Operated by Cathay Pacific Airways
Hong Kong (HKG)
September 20, 2014 10:15 AM
Travel Time : 4 h 45 m
Seat : unassigned
Denpasar Bali (DPS)
September 20, 2014 03:00 PM
Booking Code : L
Plane Type : 773

American Airlines 8413
Operated by Japan Airlines
Singapore (SIN)
September 29, 2014 08:10 AM
Travel Time : 7 h 10 m
Seat : 47A
Tokyo (NRT)
September 29, 2014 04:20 PM
Booking Code : S
Plane Type : 767

American Airlines 8496
Operated by Japan Airlines
Tokyo (NRT)
September 29, 2014 06:30 PM
Travel Time : 12 h 55 m
Seat : 27A
New York (JFK)
September 29, 2014 06:25 PM
Booking Code : S
Plane Type : 787
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
According to the AA website, L-class flights on Cathay Pacific do not earn miles, while S-class flights on Japan Airlines earn miles at a rate of 50%.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by JPG3392
According to the AA website, L-class flights on Cathay Pacific do not earn miles, while S-class flights on Japan Airlines earn miles at a rate of 50%.
Incorrect. Since these flight have AA flight numbers, you will earn per the AA earnings chart. This will earn 100% redeemable miles and the flight booked in S will earn EQM at 50% (100% for the one booked in L). This is my favorite benefit of codeshares.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

That's what I thought. I remember flying about a year ago and it was an AA flight but codeshare and I received full mileage. I thought the AA representative was wrong!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Yes, when you book an AA flight number, you earn miles just as if it were an AA flight. The fact that it's operated by another carrier is irrelevant. For this very reason, when I booked LGA-DFW-HKG-CGK, I made sure to book the AA codeshare on the HKG-CGK segment, rather than the CX flight number.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, US, CO, UA
As an FYI, I've booked 4 flights CLT to SIN through NRT and back the same way. NRT to SIN is on JAL but I have yet to receive miles because JAL says they cannot find me on the flight. Very frustrating. I've gone back and forth several times but they keep denying it. So although the website says you will earn miles, the reality is there are still A LOT of bugs in the codeshare with JAL. Good luck!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cltsig
As an FYI, I've booked 4 flights CLT to SIN through NRT and back the same way. NRT to SIN is on JAL but I have yet to receive miles because JAL says they cannot find me on the flight. Very frustrating. I've gone back and forth several times but they keep denying it. So although the website says you will earn miles, the reality is there are still A LOT of bugs in the codeshare with JAL. Good luck!
Did you book it as an AA flight number or as a JL flight?
(For what it's worth, I have never had trouble getting credit for a flight on a OW carrier.)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
Originally Posted by zakami
Incorrect. Since these flight have AA flight numbers, you will earn per the AA earnings chart. This will earn 100% redeemable miles and the flight booked in S will earn EQM at 50% (100% for the one booked in L). This is my favorite benefit of codeshares.
Not quite. EQM and RDM will be earned at 100% for both S and L. EQP will be earned at 100% for L and 50% for S.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cltsig
That is certainly interesting. I've had a lot of AA codeshares operated by JL over the years, and I have never had any trouble being credited proper mileage. I have always received the mileage and elite RDM bonus in under 48 house.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just watch out for any schedule changes. Often new flights will revert to their metal carrier's flight number and not the AA codeshare. Should this happens just hold onto your original flight details (print out/screen shot) in case the flights post with the lower mileage (or no mileage). I did have such a change occur on a JL flight last year and it ended up being flown with the JL flight number. However it did post with the full 100% mileage even though as a JL flight might have been 50%.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just watch out for any schedule changes. Often new flights will revert to their metal carrier's flight number and not the AA codeshare. Should this happens just hold onto your original flight details (print out/screen shot) in case the flights post with the lower mileage (or no mileage). I did have such a change occur on a JL flight last year and it ended up being flown with the JL flight number. However it did post with the full 100% mileage even though as a JL flight might have been 50%.
Would a request for Original Routing Credit cover this automatically?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.