Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH makes an offer to buy out Swiss.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:51 am
Original Poster

LH makes an offer to buy out Swiss.

If this goes through, will that mean the end of the AA codeshares on Swiss?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Not so fast ... I heard AA was planning on selling all TWA assests and the St. Louis hub to Southwest so it could raise enough cash to buy Swiss and create it's own European hub. This will also solve the who BA/AA LHR issue and allow it's customers to earn milage with BA on tansatlantic flights.

New airline will be named Swiss-American and Swiss-American connection.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:25 pm

No cabotage in Switzerland?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAlton:
No cabotage in Switzerland?</font>
And how much domestic flying do you think there is in Switzerland? It's a small country with an awesome rail system. Not that I know for sure, but I'd guess that if there are cabotage laws then any foreign owner of Swiss could sell off the domestic rights to some local businessman to operate as a feeder airline. (Call it, let's see, Crossair? ) I'd be very surprised if anything bigger than an RJ flies domestic in Switzerland -- even on GVA-ZRH.

On the other hand, historically rights to routes to/from Switzerland have been fairly heavily regulated by the Swiss government -- easyJet had a boatload of trouble trying to start up a GVA-BCN route, for instance. So there may be terms in Swiss's route licenses saying that they are null and void if it gets a foreign owner. But realistically I'm not convinced that the government over there is as bothered about having a locally owned airline as the US government is.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crAAzy:

New airline will be named Swiss-American and Swiss-American connection.
</font>
Sounds kind of cheesy.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:12 pm

It sounds like this deal has a lot of holes in it, like swiss cheese.

Ron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.