Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cream of Corn Entree in Intl J- Catering Going Downhill?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Cream of Corn Entree in Intl J- Catering Going Downhill?

Had a great, hearty chicken and spinach soup on the way to EZE but on the return, got absolute last choice as I was in unlucky row 13. Was looking for something more solid on the return.

How can cream of corn soup be considered an entree in international J? Creamed corn reminds me more of elementary school cafeteria fare. What is the worst meal you have seen featured? Is catering going down? What's next- corn flakes in domestic F and ramen noodle bowls to Japan- oh wait, it is already happening!

BTW, in fairness to AA, chicken soup was better but corn was not bad- just would have preferred something better. Just would like to know meals in advance to avoid mistakes or regrets on board later.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:50 pm

The title of your posting is so misleading. You make it sound as if they plopped a spoonful of creamed corn next to your salisbury steak dinner. Corn chowder, which you are most likely referring to, is served in some very good restaurants in different varieties. Smoked chicken and corn chowder, corn chowder with roasted red peppers, etc. Corn chowder isn't a step down from anything.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:28 pm

That corn chowder served on AA is actually pretty doggone good...one of the better lnuchtime meals I've had in F lately. I agree that the volume (as well as frequency)of chow is going down in F, but, if you're that hungry (like I am half the time), grab a sammich at the airport before heading out.

Actually, it's sad to say this, but I only "expect" a big seat when traveling up front now and am pleasantly surprised when something additional pops up. I guess it's easier it's to find the good little things in life if you don't expect them to happen all of the time.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:34 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
I agree that the volume (as well as frequency)of chow is going down in F, but, if you're that hungry (like I am half the time), grab a sammich at the airport before heading out.

Actually, it's sad to say this, but I only "expect" a big seat when traveling up front now and am pleasantly surprised when something additional pops up.
</font>
boy, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:49 pm

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The corn chowder, which I consider excellent (but taste is obviously very subjective), is Ok as an option on the menu in my opinion. Travelling First or Business does not absolutely mean you have to overindulge gastronomically, but of course there should be different options available to each passenger...I think that's where the real problem is, not the quality of the corn chowder itself.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

"What's the coach meal?"
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:52 pm

If only I could still get corn chowder with crab or oysters at Jean-Louis-at-the-Watergate.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:44 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Ideal - thank you for your timely posting.

I am doing AA 900 on Thurs. (EZE-MIA) in J.

At the risk of defending AA here, I suspect the soup is on the menu as an alternative to a havier entree, as the flight departs close to 9 p.m.

That being said, I do feel that, generally speaking, AA's catering has really suffered in the last 2 years. i suspect most here would agree with that.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:20 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wigstheone:
If only I could still get corn chowder with crab or oysters at Jean-Louis-at-the-Watergate.</font>
You can request a "low calorie" meal and you'll get the crab (imitation)! :-) But then they won't give you the cobb.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Sorry if I appeared to dramatic or if headline was misleading. I understand and have had wonderful roast corn chowder in a nice restaurant in DC before. But this was advertised on the menu as Cream of Corn Soup so maybe the flaw in AA is the wording. I remembered a BA flight that once had Beef Rendang on the menu. Nobody ordered it until they changed the name and began calling it Spicy Indonesian Style Beef- same thing, just better marketing as it is paints a better picture in the mind.

Lastly back to soups, I never consider a soup a meal for the most part. I think of it as something the cook puts all the leftovers into or something light or a cheaper alternative to buying an entree. Maybe as well because it is winter that far south, soups are placed more on the menu but departing a 90 degree Miami and hot shower at the Admirals Club, the hot soup was not as welcomed.

All in all, both soups were still good but I have noticed that meals up front are not the same as they used to be, but more so on AA. I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences, that's all.

------------------
Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Lastly back to soups, I never consider a soup a meal for the most part.</font>
Did you crumble any crackers into it?

Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:31 am

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Whether this is served to or from Europe I do not know. I would consider this item a snack rather than a meal item. That said, soup would be a good but light alternative and a good and rather easier item to digest if you want to sleep.

Cream of Corn would be a major turn-off to a lot of people, but then not having tasted it I would not prejudge.

I suppose that one plus point is that they should not find it hard to overcook it, but they may regard that as a challenge!

Overall, catering has gone from worse to even worse. it is quite obvious that American have stopped worrying about the competition at any class it carries across the Atlantic. How they think that will generate premium reveunue I do not know. Are we being too loyal? I used BA in First and Business last year, and American appear to have completely lost the plot. A very great shame.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
But did it come from Mendy's?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
Did you crumble any crackers into it?
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by idealflyer:
Lastly back to soups, I never consider a soup a meal for the most part.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

Old Jul 11, 2003, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, no crackers. Was given regular rolls- white or wheat. I am almost certain only 2 soups were available for the entire J cabin and they were the 2 deadlast choices as myself and the person across the aisle from me was also disappointed in being told what we were going to eat. What I wonder is if the person is in the last row and not a real meat eater, what do they do if the last choice is beef? Sure, people could order a special meal but I can think of a lot of people who eat chicken or fish but not red meat. Are there such special meals as chicken/fish only type person or would they just eat the salad?

BTW, I did splash the croutons from the salad into it which did make the soup much better.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.