Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questionable charges on AA Award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
Yes, of course I know that UA won't be issuing awards on CX. I was comparing an all UA metal ORD - HKG - SIN award using UA miles to an all CX metal ORD - HKG - SIN award using AA miles.

Rather awful of CX to be imposing these additional charges. We'd all be better off if you could use a few more miles instead of having to pay YQ because you could then save all the additional taxes that YQ triggers.

Oh well. Another devaluation.
Right, it's a bit of devaluation. Connecting through HKG with CX was very good deal before. The award fare was $0. If you do the same day connection at HKG, there is no HKG departure Tax. And of course, no $17.5 US international tax (US) each way and $4.5 US Facility Charge (XF) due to the $0 fare.

Now with this $6 "Fare" (each way), the (US) and (XF) tax items are imposed. For a round trip with HKG connection both ways, that adds up $51.5 comparing to the previous. That's higher than NRT connection with JL, which is $31 for r/t.

It's not that huge, but on the principle, passing HKG security fee as "Fare" does seem controversial.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I also find the pricing odd: xxx-xxx-LAX-SYD-CNS, AA award in F on AA/QF has total taxes and fees of $47.20USD. Return CNS-BNE-SYD-LAX-xxx-xxx (1 extra intra-OZ segment) runs $134.10USD. AA tells me it is Australian departure fees. Really? Wow - and everybody complains about the U.K. APD....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UK APD is a lot higher than Australian Departure taxes. The equivalent in APD for such a distance ( e.g. LHR-SYD ) would be GBP184 approx $333 ). There are other taxes such as PSC to add for a london dept

All taxes coming in at $134 is not even close to that. $35 of the taxes will be US taxes
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
UK APD is a lot higher than Australian Departure taxes. The equivalent in APD for such a distance ( e.g. LHR-SYD ) would be GBP184 approx $333 ). There are other taxes such as PSC to add for a london dept

All taxes coming in at $134 is not even close to that. $35 of the taxes will be US taxes
Thanks for the info. Just sorta took me by surprise that ex-OZ is like 2.5-3x the taxes/fees of ex-US. (Used to the U.K. jab I guess...)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Thanks for the info. Just sorta took me by surprise that ex-OZ is like 2.5-3x the taxes/fees of ex-US. (Used to the U.K. jab I guess...)
Well... thats only really because the US taxes are not charged when departing the US. If the US didn't have the peculiarity of not charging them on free tickets, it makes the comparison quite unfair

The airport charges are quite high in Oz and going CNS-BNE-SYD-US does help ramp up the taxes. If you were just doing SYD-LAX the taxes would be lower ( approx $112)

A breakdown on CNS-LAX would be of the order

Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $51.60
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $18.70
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $9.60
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $5.20
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $25.90

USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50

As a comparison , LHR-LAX taxes for non stop in business class is $346.83

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 25, 2014 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:42 pm

Well... thats only really because the US taxes are not charged when departing the US. If the US didn't have the peculiarity of not charging them on free tickets, it makes the comparison quite unfair

The airport charges are quite high in Oz and going CNS-BNE-SYD-US does help ramp up the taxes. If you were just doing SYD-LAX the taxes would be lower ( approx $112)

A breakdown on CNS-LAX would be of the order

Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $51.60
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $18.70
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $9.60
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $5.20
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $25.90

USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50

As a comparison , LHR-LAX taxes for non stop in business class is $346.83
Thanks again. Sadly, via BNE is the only way to get to SYD for the (same-day) US flights with the termination of the early QF921(?) SYD-CNS that used to be there.

AA's web breakdown is similar, though not the same, as yours:

Base fare, taxes and carrier-imposed fees

Adult fare, taxes and carrier-imposed fees

Base fare $0.00 USD
Per person

PASSENGER MOVEMENT CHARGE $51.60 USD
AUSTRALIA
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $28.30 USD
AUSTRALIA
SAFETY AND SECURITY CHARGE $5.20 USD
AUSTRALIA
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $25.90 USD
AUSTRALIA
US APHIS USER FEE $5.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE $7.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US SECURITY FEE $5.60 USD
UNITED STATES
US CUSTOMS USER FEE $5.50 USD
UNITED STATES

Total Adult taxes and carrier-imposed fees
$134.10 USD
Per person
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:50 pm

The AU taxes look the same to me , other than merging the 2 QRs together 1x $28.30 vs $18.70 and $9.60

The US taxes I would expect to be different since you are continuing on from LAX. It does look like the International Arrival Tax has not been charged; perhaps that is another curio that doesn't get charged on free tickets
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:23 pm

The AU taxes look the same to me , other than merging the 2 QRs together 1x $28.30 vs $18.70 and $9.60

The US taxes I would expect to be different since you are continuing on from LAX. It does look like the International Arrival Tax has not been charged; perhaps that is another curio that doesn't get charged on free tickets
That was my biggest question- but it was in my favor!!!
Your posts (as always) have been most helpful Did you get those numbers using some publically-available tool, or just adding known current fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.