Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby question for Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Standby question for Award Ticket

My kids are on business class award tickets this Saturday MSP-ORD-MAD-AGP. The ORD-MAD-AGP is on Iberia.

The connection time at ORD is only 35 minutes so we are all concerned about them making the flight. There is an earlier MSP-ORD flight that they may be able to make. The issue is that they will be flying from points in Montana to MSP on Delta. They arrive at MSP at 9:30am and could possibly make the 10:10am flight to ORD.

So, is it possible for them to get on a standby list for the earlier flight before they get to the airport? If so, can you explain the process? I can also switch them to the earlier flight now and hope they make the second one if they are delayed on Delta. I appreciate any advice.

Deb
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Qualifications for $75 confirmed same day flight change, and standby, are described here for AA-operated and AA-marketed flights.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

I am aware of the confirmed standby rule but since this is an award seat, I could change it in advance. However, this gives me a tight connection on the other end and may not be a good choice.

I was looking for some advice on how the experts might handle a situation.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Deb
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
From what I've experienced & read here the policy on that page says "domestic flight" but really means "domestic itinerary" (the linked FAQ seems to reflect this more accurately) so all of that is N/A for a trip to Europe. The AA website can offer alternative flights during checkin but it's never offered any when I fly to Europe (even for the domestic legs that all of my trips require).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Good to know. Are you saying they won't be allowed to standby for earlier flight due to the international itinerary? or just that they can't do confirmed standby?

Deb
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
If you're that concerned just change them to the earlier flight if it's available. If it's a legal connection, which it was if it was ticketed, I wouldn't worry about it.

As they are business class I believe that they should be able to standby for the earlier MSP-ORD flight. I don't think that there is any way to get added to the list until you get to the airport, or at least I've been unsuccessful in my attempts via the phone.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
My understanding (both 1st hand [3x to Europe in biz/1st each year] and reading here) is that neither voluntary standby nor CFC is available for international travel (even the domestic legs). Other types of changes are available (eg, usual award changes), just not these 2. Agents see you're crossing the pond and don't want to touch it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

I appreciate the advice and it's good to know what to expect.

I can change them to the earlier flight but then they risk missing that one if the Delta flights are late. It's probably best that they have the extra check in time in MSP for the international flight.

That 35 minute connection time doesn't give much room for error!

Deb
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
Originally Posted by DebBrown
I am aware of the confirmed standby rule but since this is an award seat, I could change it in advance. However, this gives me a tight connection on the other end and may not be a good choice.

I was looking for some advice on how the experts might handle a situation.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Deb
Ok, if it were me, I'd fly into MSP or ORD the day before. I wouldn't risk such tight connections to an INTL flight.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randapex
Ok, if it were me, I'd fly into MSP or ORD the day before. I wouldn't risk such tight connections to an INTL flight.
When I booked the flight last year, there was a reasonable connect time. A schedule change occurred and I waited it out hoping for another one to fix this. Maybe I should still change it...

Deb
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Assuming I'm reading this correctly, you have your kids flying Delta on a separate booking to MSP where they will then need to check in for an international itinerary with AA? Yes absolutely change it. This has misconnect with no one to blame written all over it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
Carry-on or Checked Luggage?

I have flown on AA and IB to/from Madrid several times a year for the past 15 years from every US gateway except LAX. My personal experience is during the summer months, there can be WEATHER delays in the afternoon/evenings that may impact the skeds. This also raises the question of whether your kids' checked bags will make any/all of the connections along the way, even if there are no delays.

If your kids have checked luggage from Delta, I assume that it will need to be claimed in MSP, then re-checked with AA at the ticket counter. There is simply not enough time between the 0930 DL arrival and the 1010 AA departure if there is checked bags involved. I just don't see how/why DL would "through-check" your intl bags all the way from Montana to Malaga.

Since your kids are on U class award tickets that are flexible in that you can change the routing for free (but not the origin/destination), I would suggest that you call AA and see if there are any alternative flights available that would give your kids more wiggle room in the event that there is any type of delay. If there are no award seats available, then I would check AA/IB schedules that have later departing flights from other gateways (i.e. JFK / MIA) in case of a misconnect (this info may come in very handy on day of travel).

I have been on the receiving end of many IB issues (positive and negative) but being aware of available options in a potential misconnect situation is a very good strategy and could help secure same day re-accomodation instead of an unplanned overnight (or 2) in a hotel.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

We have changed their flights now. They will be flying Delta to Chicago on Friday. Then taking the ORD-MAD-AGP flights on Iberia on Saturday. We all feel a whole lot better about this. The rest of the family is joining them on the Saturday flights.

I had to drop the AA MSP-ORD segment of the award and pay change fees with Delta.

KIR, if they were going to try to make the earlier MSP-ORD flight, they would have done it with only carry-ons.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to advise me.

Deb
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Much better idea. May they have a fantastic trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.