Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying AA DFW-ICN soon - anyone fly this recently?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 110pgl
It might be worth it to copy your post and send it to AA. Not for credit/miles/etc, but to keep them aware of the situation. The same crew typically flies the same route every month. We as a group need to let the crew know we are noticing.
Thank you. I'll do that.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger
I travelled this route in First a couple of days ago and was very disappointed. It was my first time in AA international First.

The crew were stale, on the edge of being completely indifferent about their jobs. There was no welcome from the CSM and I don't think I saw him smile the entire flight. The menu said something like 'You may choose to dine at anytime' so I had a very small single course meal after take-off then slept. After waking asked for the pasta but was told that was only available as part of the first meal service. I thought the drink selection was of a poor standard for First. My IFE unit was a no-go. First it skipped, every second, so an FA had it reset. Then it was bright pink and green so I was offered a Samsung tab from Business which worked fine. I've had better IFE units in Economy class on some carriers. I was addressed by name maybe twice for the whole flight. Single ply toilet paper. Wow. Don't get me wrong, a little thing but seriously, in First?

There was one particularly below average FA. Early on, before take-off, she was walking down the aisle towards the front. I said "excuse me" to ask for some water and was met with a look as if I'd sprung her running from the bank with the loot. Later in the flight I went to the galley behind First and asked her for a glass of water with ice to which her response was "You have a whole galley of your own at the front of the plane; this is for Business". Wow.

And the seatbelt sign. I've had sneezes create more disturbance than some of the 'turbulence' that prompted the flight crew to put the seatbelt sign on. And on it stayed, for hours. At one point I spotted the pilot on his rest break stretching his legs walking around the cabin, while the sign was on. So I went up to him and said this will sound rude but it's not intended that way: you're part of the flight crew and you're walking around when the seatbelt sign is on. He was very polite and said that his watch had put it on and the current watch probably didn't even know it was on. That was his excuse.

The positive part was I thought the food was very nice and well presented and my bags came off very early. But that's it. Overall, a very disappointing experience.
It might be worth it to copy your post and send it to AA. Not for credit/miles/etc, but to keep them aware of the situation. The same crew typically flies the same route every month. We as a group need to let the crew know we are noticing.
I took your advice and emailed AA. I outlined all of the above and finished by saying I wasn't seeking any compensation or even an apology, just a reply noting my experience and passing it on to the relevant area.

About four or five days later I got a very personalised reply. It was very clear that, while it obviously had the odd sentence that came straight from the template, there was very clear evidence that the agent responding had taken the time to read my email and responded directly to several points. There was no offer of any compensation and I was glad. The agent also said my concerns would be passed to the relevant areas.

I was very pleasantly surprised and quite impressed. Full points.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by danger
I travelled this route in First a couple of days ago and was very disappointed. It was my first time in AA international First.

The crew were stale, on the edge of being completely indifferent about their jobs. There was no welcome from the CSM and I don't think I saw him smile the entire flight. The menu said something like 'You may choose to dine at anytime' so I had a very small single course meal after take-off then slept. After waking asked for the pasta but was told that was only available as part of the first meal service. I thought the drink selection was of a poor standard for First. My IFE unit was a no-go. First it skipped, every second, so an FA had it reset. Then it was bright pink and green so I was offered a Samsung tab from Business which worked fine. I've had better IFE units in Economy class on some carriers. I was addressed by name maybe twice for the whole flight. Single ply toilet paper. Wow. Don't get me wrong, a little thing but seriously, in First?

There was one particularly below average FA. Early on, before take-off, she was walking down the aisle towards the front. I said "excuse me" to ask for some water and was met with a look as if I'd sprung her running from the bank with the loot. Later in the flight I went to the galley behind First and asked her for a glass of water with ice to which her response was "You have a whole galley of your own at the front of the plane; this is for Business". Wow.

And the seatbelt sign. I've had sneezes create more disturbance than some of the 'turbulence' that prompted the flight crew to put the seatbelt sign on. And on it stayed, for hours. At one point I spotted the pilot on his rest break stretching his legs walking around the cabin, while the sign was on. So I went up to him and said this will sound rude but it's not intended that way: you're part of the flight crew and you're walking around when the seatbelt sign is on. He was very polite and said that his watch had put it on and the current watch probably didn't even know it was on. That was his excuse.

The positive part was I thought the food was very nice and well presented and my bags came off very early. But that's it. Overall, a very disappointing experience.
Unfortunately this sounds like at least half of my AA premium class experiences and is not something I'm at all surprised about. The fact people continue to pay for AA's premium product is very surprising to me. Not necessarily because of the seats or entertainment, but because of the attitude of the flight crew where like your example above, asking for a glass of water is like asking to move a mountain. When I'm smiling at a FA, saying please and thank you, a smile back with out their face cracking would be nice. I won't just limit it to AA, the attitude of the FA extends to UA and DL too. I won't start a political discussion as this isn't the place for it, but I have very firm beliefs as to why this is.

People have been very excited on this board about the new DFW-HKG/ICN routes and from a SWU usage perspective I get it. When it comes to paying with cash or even miles for J/F on these routes, not sure why anyone who lives outside of the DFW area would choose to fly AA when there is CX and JL options available. When paying for a premium flight with cash, I try to route myself on a partner.

Last edited by umaa83; Oct 16, 2014 at 10:20 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by umaa83
Unfortunately this sounds like at least half of my AA premium class experiences and is not something I'm at all surprised about. The fact people continue to pay for AA's premium product is very surprising to me. Not necessarily because of the seats or entertainment, but because of the attitude of the flight crew where like your example above, asking for a glass of water is like asking to move a mountain. When I'm smiling at a FA, saying please and thank you, a smile back with out their face cracking would be nice. I won't just limit it to AA, the attitude of the FA extends to UA and DL too.
Same here. As a longtime UA guy, I'm surprised by how rarely (if ever) AA FAs address pax by name. Both in domestic F and international C/F. It's a small thing, and no you don't have to memorize it and use it 100 times, but when you're taking the meal order and have the freakin' manifest in your hand, how bout you say "Hi, Mr./Mrs. X. I'm So-And-So, your lead FA today. Welcome aboard our flight. Have you had a chance to look at the menu?"

UA certainly had its share of grumps and downers, but I'd say that its baseline for international premium cabin FAs in my experience was higher than what I've experienced on AA out of DFW. I was expecting the opposite. Hopefully that will change as my sample size on AA grows.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I thought they had a few DC to AC adapters in F on the 772 for pax to use during the flight? Never asked for it the on my one AA In'tl F flight (DFW-NRT), so not sure. Hopefully others can confirm.
Yep they definitely have the power adapters. I've asked for the adapters several times on the 772; frankly I don't think may PAX know they exist. Same for the FAs for that matter...took them a while to find it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Dia
Which lounge do you use in ICN flying AA first?

I was just booked on AA FIRST from ICN to DFW. Tried very hard to get a date with a Cathay flight but no such luck!! :-(
Anyways can anyone tell me which lounge to use in ICN if I m flying AA First?
Also do they still give PJs on the flight?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by pgur
I was just booked on AA FIRST from ICN to DFW. Tried very hard to get a date with a Cathay flight but no such luck!! :-(
Anyways can anyone tell me which lounge to use in ICN if I m flying AA First?
Also do they still give PJs on the flight?
There is an Asiana First Class lounge by the AA gate. You can use that one - and only that First Class lounge. (AA First is not allowed in the main F/C lounge - I don't know why.)

Yes to the pj's in first.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I think some of the high expectations on International First on AA is just that - high expectations. On the two US-based legacy carriers, AA and UA, International First is better than business class in terms of the hard product (more space, privacy and mattress pad over your seat for sleeping), but you can't compare it to foreign airline International First. The soft product or service can be a hit or miss depending on the crew. For the most part, they are OK but not stellar. AA does give out PJs whereas UA doesn't, but UA's amenity kit is slightly better than AA's.

Since there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW, no difference in ground service at DFW. At least AA boards their International First passengers ahead of business class and elite passengers. On UA, you have to stand in the same line along with business class and other elite passengers (1K/PLT) traveling in economy class. UA's line is often 75+ passengers long.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I think some of the high expectations on International First on AA is just that - high expectations. On the two US-based legacy carriers, AA and UA, International First is better than business class in terms of the hard product (more space, privacy and mattress pad over your seat for sleeping), but you can't compare it to foreign airline International First. The soft product or service can be a hit or miss depending on the crew. For the most part, they are OK but not stellar. AA does give out PJs whereas UA doesn't, but UA's amenity kit is slightly better than AA's.

Since there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW, no difference in ground service at DFW. At least AA boards their International First passengers ahead of business class and elite passengers. On UA, you have to stand in the same line along with business class and other elite passengers (1K/PLT) traveling in economy class. UA's line is often 75+ passengers long.
+1

Honestly though, can anyone even begin to honestly compare any us based carrier to international carriers in terms of soft product? I have never - read never - had better soft product service on a us based carrier first class than international first.

I think people have really lowered their expectations... when I hear that the 'AA/UA/DL crew were great' all I think is .... good they did not hide the entire flight.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
I think people have really lowered their expectations... when I hear that the 'AA/UA/DL crew were great' all I think is .... good they did not hide the entire flight.
^^ Of course, when looking at AA F for $8k vs. $15k for CX, you can argue that the AA value proposition is a lot stronger, particularly if you plan to spend most of the time asleep. Or better yet, use SWU or miles+copay and upgrade from J.

My biggest complaint with the 772 F is the crappy AVOD system. I have not flown this route since the 9/1 catering downgrade, so I can't comment on the current dining options. I don't care for the AA PJs, but they do offer them. I like the AA amenity kit; they make for a great iPad case.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I fly the ICN-DFW route fairly often, and have happy with the J service. Maybe I have been lucky, but the FAs have been friendly, called me by name, and thanked me for being onboard. The only glitch was a month ago when the IFE didn't work at my J seat on the 772; but, I was given a Galaxy Tab, which had fewer movie choices, this was OK. I pre-select my meals, and have been OK with them. Maybe, a person flying on paid F does feel cheated; I wouldn't know since I can only afford J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.