Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage for same trip, different tickets, different classes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Baggage for same trip, different tickets, different classes?

I booked a business ticket ORD-HKG-HAN with Cathay and Dragonair using AA miles. However, since the CID-ORD leg wasn't available using miles and I didn't want to risk losing the award ticket on Cathay, I simply purchased that leg separately using cash.

Ticket 1: CID-ORD = economy, AA
Ticket 2: ORD onwards = business, Cathay/Dragonair

Do I have to pay to check a bag for that CID-ORD leg since it's on a separate ticket, even though it's on the same trip? I no longer have any useful status.

AA customer support can't seem to give me a straight answer for if I'll be charged for checking a bag from CID-ORD or not. They only say that it's up to the counter agent when I check in. Does anyone know if there's any kind of policy/procedure/guidance of any kind or any experience with this type of multiple ticket situation?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct carriers, this question is being moved to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

/Moderator
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is the chart. The fee is $25 unless you have a waiver such as for status (not apparent from your profile).

There is the possibility that a kindly agent may as a customer service gesture waive the fee because you are flying onward, but that is purely a matter of discretion and is nothing you will know about in advance.

If you look at your e-ticket receipt for the CID-ORD ticket, you will see your baggage allowance listed at the bottom. That is what the agent will see at check-in.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm planning on taking a checked bag of items to donate for a group and they've asked if there's a bag fee.

I was just hoping that there might be some kind of guidance available to agents since this is probably not a rare thing. I just double checked my receipt and it actually does not show the baggage allowance. However... I did notice that I used my AA card and remembered that I think that card actually has a free checked bag as a benefit.

I just double checked and yep, it does! I can check one bag due to the credit card I used to purchase the ticket so even if they don't want to waive the baggage fee because I'm continuing the trip, they should waive it because of the card.

I always forget that the card has benefits other than earning miles... Thanks again for the help and sorry for asking a question that I should have been able to answer on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.