Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AA credit card deal? AA gold MC at 5000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Location: Bannockburn, IL USA -- AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Best AA credit card deal? AA gold MC at 5000 Miles?

Hi all,
I am looking to sign up for an AA credit card. The current offer online is the AA Gold World Mastercard for 5000 miles and a $50 annual fee. Are there better offers that anyone has heard of? Does the offer get better?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks in advance,
rbank
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
And has anybody gotten the 5K more than once?
I just cancelled the AA Mastercard at the suggestion, or perhaps it would be better to say urging, or for that matter truthful to say told by my bank to cancel it or else I wouldn't get my refinancing at 5.625% with no points.

The loan officer said it was no problem to re-open 'em next week - they didn't care as long as they could be truthful to Fannie Mae that I had no cc debt on the date of closing. Today. Done deal so worth it even as it's a pain in the butt to change all the recurring payments.

So now I'm almost a credit card virgin with nothing to shield me from a cold heartless world but a Platinum Amex. And a way better credit score than I ever thought possible. So while I expect the come-ons will start giving the mailman a hernia again next week, I want to maximize points where I can and this would one of 'em.

Any luck getting it twice?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:04 pm

I got an offer by mail in January for 7500 miles ($50 annual fee). I don't recall there was a promotion code for that though.

I recall seeing this in American Way magazine: if you apply online, you'll get 250 bonus miles, in addition to the 5000 miles (though not much better, but 250 miles is still 250 miles).
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbank:
Hi all,
I am looking to sign up for an AA credit card. The current offer online is the AA Gold World Mastercard for 5000 miles and a $50 annual fee. Are there better offers that anyone has heard of? Does the offer get better?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks in advance,
rbank
</font>
That seems to be their standing usual offer for opening a Citibank AAdvantage Gold MasterCard. But a suggestion to do (which I've read here) is when your first annual renewal comes up, ask them for a retention bonus. I called them up stating I was seriously considering closing the account right then if I didn't get some sort of bonus. They offered me another 3,000 miles, so I took it. One thing that did help me were the close to $60,000 in charges over the past year (there was lots of savings bonds and some c2it (a loophole that was closed) in the total. But I always paid my bills on time, and usually in full.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I did a search on here about 2 months ago and found a number to call and got 7500 miles to sign up.

One thing I like about the Citibank cards is that they allow you to use the Virtual Account Numbers (one time use card numbers) for online purchases. You can either run a web application or download a program for windows.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Location: Bannockburn, IL USA -- AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
But overall, is now as good a time as any to sign up??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.