Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Elites no longer entitled to automatic Priority Baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Are Elites no longer entitled to automatic Priority Baggage?

I've searched, but can't find any reference to this issue, so it could be a recent development (or maybe I'm not intuitive enough in setting my search parameters).

I'm Platinum (lifetime) with American, and in late May on a flight I noticed that my luggage didn't have the red "Priority" tags, either coming or going. It was a domestic trip, so I wasn't too concerned. I chalked it up to oversight (both ways).

In June, though, I had a TATL on American, and when I checked my bags I noticed that the counter agent didn't reach for the red tags when he tagged my bags. I was concerned since the continuation was on a OneWorld carrier other than AA, and I wanted to make sure that carrier knew to give my bags priority handling (for what it's worth), so I asked him whether Platinums no longer were given the Priority baggage treatment. His answer really surprised me.

He said the only time they are to put the red "Priority" insert in the tags is when the tag printer prints a big "P" next to the flight list on the part of the tag that is given to the passenger, and the tags for my bags did not have the "P".

Now, the boarding passes that had just printed did clearly show my AA Platinum and OW Sapphire status, and the TSA Precheck and all, so it wasn't that my AAdvantage number or status had somehow failed to register. Yet, priority luggage was apparently now no longer included.

Has anyone else run into this? Is it some sort of error, or is this intentional -- another stealth devaluation of elite status? I didn't run into this in March or April.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still a benefit according to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...fits-chart.jsp
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
For some time now, as a Gold, I seem to only get the priority tags when my upgrade has cleared. But I don't worry about it, since even when I get the tags, the bags often aren't the first ones out anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
For some time now, as a Gold, I seem to only get the priority tags when my upgrade has cleared. But I don't worry about it, since even when I get the tags, the bags often aren't the first ones out anyway.
According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...fits-chart.jsp, it's only an EXP (emerald) or PLT (sapphire) benefit. This has been the case since at least 2011 (the amount of history I have), probably further back.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by hillrider
According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...fits-chart.jsp, it's only an EXP (emerald) or PLT (sapphire) benefit. This has been the case since at least 2011 (the amount of history I have), probably further back.
This. Does anyone know if priority baggage handling has ever been a benefit for Golds?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:07 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
And some of the kiosks are not working properly - in case you're not checking on at the counter. Some do not encode priority on the tags, regardless of whether you're EXP or else. And indeed, the "P" is missing. Only way around it is to have a counter agent fix it.

The mis-coding also produces errors when you have actually using the 70 lbs. The kiosk itself states it's free but the agent who is putting on the tags gets a warning on the screen.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
does it matter?

does it matter if you get the priority tags? My experience has been very hit or miss. I've had my bag come out dead last more than once with the nice bright priority tag still attached.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've actually had very good experience with priority tags at SFO, even when the trip started on another OW airline (e.g., Qatar). Isn't the priority status actually captured in the barcode? I know that's the case on some OW airlines.

I was surprised to find out recently (maybe b/c I rarely check bags) that BA does not do priority bags for OW Emeralds.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I did not have the P in a mixed AA-US itinerary. The agent refused to put the tag at the beginning based on this, had to argue that I was flying Business and was a PLT.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by GullwingSL
Does anyone know if priority baggage handling has ever been a benefit for Golds?
For about 8 years primarily as Gold, not a benefit for me.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Priority Tags = value-less

In the last three years, I can count the times that the placement of the red Priority tag has made any difference, whatsoever. Whether its SFO, LAX or DFW on AA...or LHR on BA / AA....my bags come out early or late; with or without tag. I still mention it when checking in as an EXP to TA, but it has never mattered with any frequency.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billgrates3
does it matter if you get the priority tags? My experience has been very hit or miss. I've had my bag come out dead last more than once with the nice bright priority tag still attached.
The counter agent who told me about the "P" said AA was stressing the Priority bag concept, and baggage handlers were being instructed to clear all Priority bags before sending out the others.

Whether or not we'll see the difference (I usually do) seems spotty, but from what he told me it is expected to improve as more handlers become "sensitized" to the program.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It works well in Asia (HKG, NRT, SGN). Also worked for me last time arriving at LAX from NRT on AA.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Priority bag tags have never failed me. Always off first, LAX and MIA my most common destinations. Surprised it is hit and miss for so many.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Yes. AA does the Priority baggage thing quite well, and a deep product push about 3 years ago has shown tangible returns. It's not failproof, but works most of the times for me and it's definitely a huge differentiator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.