Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Upgrade from J to F (intl) using US Miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Can I Upgrade from J to F (intl) using US Miles?

I recently booked a flight from DFW-NRT in J for work, and realized that the seats are angle-flat Is there anyway to upgrade using US Miles? Or Pay for an Upgrade closer-in? Sorry I'm new to AA so I'm not sure where to look.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 pm

no you can't. when is your flight? what aircraft?
Old May 27, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

DFW-NRT AA175 on 7/17

and

NRT-ORD AA154 on 7/28
Old May 27, 2014, 1:46 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It's possible that you could get a refurbished 777-200 with just coach and all lie-flat business seating, but the retrofit program is just getting under way so, it's a long shot.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Ugh, that would be amazing! Thanks PHL, where can I find more info on the retrofit?
Old May 27, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
777-200er-772-no-first-new-business-announced-2014-767-stuff-moved-45.html

Here's the FT thread - though there's little information anywhere about the speed of the retrofit, when it begins, ends, etc.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:44 pm

Some thoughts:

Couldn't OP buy some AA miles and use those? Or maybe see if he/she has any friends who are EXP and could lend an SWU?

There is a small chance there will be a LFBU available at check-in, but it's not a great chance.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
I recently booked a flight from DFW-NRT in J for work, and realized that the seats are angle-flat Is there anyway to upgrade using US Miles? Or Pay for an Upgrade closer-in? Sorry I'm new to AA so I'm not sure where to look.
I am not sure about the answer, but having just flown my first AA 777-200 angle-flat seat a few months ago, they were much better than I had anticipated. I just had this dreadful though of the Lufthansa seats where you constantly are sliding down the seats trying to sleep. On the AA seats, I was perfectly comfortable, no sliding occurred, and I slept easily.

So, while I wouldn't suggest you don't try to upgrade, if you are unable too, I would say don't worry too much.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Whimike- that was exactly the worry I have (a la Lufthansa).

Thanks all for the feedback- I'd love some EXP friends right about now
Old May 28, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
Whimike- that was exactly the worry I have (a la Lufthansa).

Thanks all for the feedback- I'd love some EXP friends right about now
The way to minimize the slide-down is to steal a couple of the pillows of your neighbors' seats and rest your feet on those at the bottom of the foot rest. Although the footspace will be restricted it is much better than sliding down the ski slope.

btw - I was disappointed as well not being able to use US miles to upgrade to first. The angled seats in Business is such a step back after getting used to the 180 lie flat beds..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.