Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've been "bumped" before, but never by phone!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I've been "bumped" before, but never by phone!

I got a call today from an AA reservation clerk who said my flight on April 8 after the "final four" was oversold...and would my wife and I be interested in being bumped. I asked what she was offering by way of compensation and she said 200.00 apiece. Usually I just get calls saying I've been put on a new flight. Is this something new?
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:08 pm
Turks&CaicosIsles

This happened to me a few years ago. Was called around 6:00a (had a mid-morning flight)and asked if we would volunteer for flight later in the day - two of us $250.00 each, got vouchers when we checked in later in the day.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Had this happen a couple of times. Vouchers and/or op. upgrades for taking an earlier or later flight. They usually ask really nicely too.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My brother had this happen. I negotiated his bump deal and reaccommodation for him.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I got a call for this Sat to take a later flight from ORD to MIA. She offered $250 a person and although I tried I couldn't get one dollar more nor an upgrade on the later flight.

I truly appreciated the call. This way I got the bump but we all don't have to sit around the airport for 5 hours waiting for the later flight.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Plus....you don't have to stand around with your carryons until a minute or two before they close the gate worrying that they're going to tell you "I guess we don't need your tickets...and good luck finding an overhead for your stuff". (not that this won't stop us from trying to get bumped from our new flight.)
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:19 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
Had this happen to me a couple of times...... I love those phone calls.

------------------
AA member since 1981.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:54 pm

Never. I guess some guys have all the luck.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve B:
I got a call today from an AA reservation clerk who said my flight on April 8 after the "final four" was oversold...and would my wife and I be interested in being bumped. I asked what she was offering by way of compensation and she said 200.00 apiece. Usually I just get calls saying I've been put on a new flight. Is this something new? </font>
A couple of months ago I got a call like this. I was on a 6:30pish STL-LAX leg, they called and said it was oversold and were looking for people with flexible schedules. I tried to negotiate, but her (only) offer was EITHER:
1. Take a different flight that day, with a free F upgrade.
2. $100 voucher.

I took the upgrade, since frankly, I didn't mind getting to LAX a couple hours earlier and $100 wasn't enough to pass up the free upgrade.

Only happened once, for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.