Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W / 777-300ER pilot rest; is a seat blocked?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

77W / 777-300ER pilot rest; is a seat blocked?

Does AA still block off a seat of the 3rd pilot in FC on long flights? LAX-LHR & DFW-HKG)

On planes with 16 F seats, its not so bad, on a 77W with 8 FC seats its another story...
Old May 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
The 77W has two or three bunks above FC for pilot/crew use. With only 8 FC seats they do not allocated one for pilots.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

The thread title is also being updated slightly to clarify its contents.

~Moderator
Old May 23, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, AC, DL, UA, US
Why would they block F seats for crew/employee use? That is as dumb as giving away free upgrades to elites. Those seats should be sold, period. No employee or elite should get them for free. This is business 101.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by alltheteainchina
Why would they block F seats for crew/employee use? That is as dumb as giving away free upgrades to elites. Those seats should be sold, period. No employee or elite should get them for free. This is business 101.
Because pilots need rest too....
Old May 23, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison
Because pilots need rest too....
In a revenue seat? Yea, thats a real good business practice.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:17 pm

Where else would you like them to sleep when there's no crew rest area?

The 772s do not have a rest area for the pilots, so they get a first class seat (as is stated in their contract.) The 77W does have bunks for the pilots, so it isn't necessary to block a seat (and with only 8F seats, it would be very unwise to do so.)

You're making a very big deal out of common practice on most airlines all over the globe. Plenty of airlines block a J seat for pilots or a block of Y seats in the rear of the cabin for FA's, it's normal.

I do however think that giving the Pilots an F seat is a bit much (J should be good enough), but it's in the contract.

For those of you in the know, I believe I had read that the new contract allowed J seats instead of F seats. Is this correct, or am I mixing up my airlines?
Old May 23, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Wow, just really surprised. I did not know this was in their contract or a common practice. What about flight crews? Do they get F seats too?
Old May 23, 2014, 6:33 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Djokison
Where else would you like them to sleep when there's no crew rest area?

The 772s do not have a rest area for the pilots, so they get a first class seat (as is stated in their contract.) The 77W does have bunks for the pilots, so it isn't necessary to block a seat (and with only 8F seats, it would be very unwise to do so.)

You're making a very big deal out of common practice on most airlines all over the globe. Plenty of airlines block a J seat for pilots or a block of Y seats in the rear of the cabin for FA's, it's normal.

I do however think that giving the Pilots an F seat is a bit much (J should be good enough), but it's in the contract.

For those of you in the know, I believe I had read that the new contract allowed J seats instead of F seats. Is this correct, or am I mixing up my airlines?
The 772 does have a crew rest above the FC cabin. The pilots negotiated and AA accepted a clause that gives them seats in F.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

The 772 does have a crew rest above the FC cabin. The pilots negotiated and AA accepted a clause that gives them seats in F.
Umm not quite correct. The 772 does indeed have bunks for the pilots, but they are not above the First Class cabin. They are directly aft of the cockpit door on the port side of the aircraft. The word from 777 pilots I've talked too is that they negotiated for the use of 1 or 2 First Class seats on the 772 because a) there is no place to rest in a seated position in their bunks and b) many of them find the bunks claustrophobic and not well ventilated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.