By By old gal.. 767-200 now all gone

Old May 12, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
By By old gal.. 767-200 now all gone

Is AA getting out of the economy transcontinental market? Since the 321s arrived, coach roundtrip fares are $550-$700 while competitors are $400.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Isn't it "bye bye" rather than "by by"? That evil spell checker hits again, I guess .
Old May 12, 2014, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is AA getting out of the economy transcontinental market? Since the 321s arrived, coach roundtrip fares are $550-$700 while competitors are $400.
You feel that follows??
Old May 12, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You feel that follows??
Yeah. Is AA's intent to compete in the coach segment gone with the 762 as well?
Old May 13, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure they will make for some excellent "airplane salad": http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...s-boneyard.ece
Old May 13, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it was, why would it put 36 economy and 36 main cabin extra seats inside the aeroplane?

With only 72 seats to sell rather than 128, seems to make sense that AA can set its pricing so as to have less very low fares offered
Old May 13, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Loved flying the 762 JFK-MIA in J seats sold as Y.
Also, I think these were the first birds to get Gogo back in the day.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it was, why would it put 36 economy and 36 main cabin extra seats inside the aeroplane?

With only 72 seats to sell rather than 128, seems to make sense that AA can set its pricing so as to have less very low fares offered
That's my point. Seems like AA made a conscious decision to no longer compete in economy by reduce capacity in coach by configuring the 321 the way they did. Less coach seats per flight than DL or UA.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's my point. Seems like AA made a conscious decision to no longer compete in economy by reduce capacity in coach by configuring the 321 the way they did. Less coach seats per flight than DL or UA.
You asked whether AA was getting out of the economy transcontinental market. I would say no , just that they may be targetting a higher fare per passenger, which seems a fair approach
Old May 13, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, but apparently they're getting out of the deep discount economy transcon market. @:-)
I'd venture a guess that within 7-14 days from departure, their fares will be competitive.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Valmiki
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'll take 762 J over A321T Y any day.

Sigh.
Come on, compare apples with apples --
I think his referring to upgrade chances on the new A321T. Sadly it has plummeted compared to the 767s. So he's stuck in the 321 Y.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
By your logic, AA could "compete" for economy passengers by dramatically increasing capacity on this route. Sure, the fundamentals of economics assure that they'd have to drop prices as capacity increases, and thus they likely would be assured of losing money on every ticket sold, but they'd make it up in volume, right?!?!
Old May 14, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's apparent to me that AA did give up trying to attract the "backpacker crowd" (probably politically incorrect term these days) - the young, hip, Kayaker crowd with no elite status (or maybe Gold) who want to fly back and forth between NYC and LAX for dirt cheap. Years and years ago they flew Tower Air. Now they can fly B6 or pay low fares to help fill up those Delta 767s.

In the third quarter of last year (most recent gov't fare data available), AA had the largest share of the JFK-LAX market at average fares in excess of $500 each way. That high average fare wasn't due to the 128 seats in the back of each 762; that high average fare was due to the 40 bigger seats up front.

We won't know for quite some time whether AA is successful in raising its average fare on the JFK-LAX transcons as a result of its decision to reduce Y seating by 56 seats per flight but my guess is that the average fare will increase. And like happens every day, if AA can't sell those 72 Y seats for the fares it seeks, we can rest assured that AA will cut the price to the level it feels will maximize revenues and/or profits. AA has people on staff with that job description.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Blumie
By your logic, AA could "compete" for economy passengers by dramatically increasing capacity on this route. Sure, the fundamentals of economics assure that they'd have to drop prices as capacity increases, and thus they likely would be assured of losing money on every ticket sold, but they'd make it up in volume, right?!?!
Tough crowd today. I'm just pointing out an observation that AA is no longer competing for coach as evidence my capacity reduction and fares being offered. I'm sure they have the numbers to support making such a bet by deploying a new type of aircraft with that particular F/J/Y ratio and a 3-class cabin on the 321 doesn't seem suitable for any other AA route should their bet go sour.

Please point out any evidence to support they are in fact losing money on that segment of the market. Competitors are still serving that segment whether it is legacy UA/DL or B6/VX seems to indicate it is not not necessarily losing money. No doubt less margin than the front of the plane.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
This really sucks... for someone who flies SFO-JFK often.

Also, can someone help explain why first class cost less than business? I can't seem to figure out why.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.