Wiki Posts
Search

New Destination: Nevis

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New Destination: Nevis

American Eagle will launch daily San Juan-Nevis service on 15 May 2003, operated with an ATR-42. The daily service will open (reopen?) a new market for American Airlines/American Eagle. If it prooves popular, do not be surprised to see Miami-Nevis service launch in time for winter.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:27 am
hvd

Programs: AA EXP, LX travelclub
This news strikes me as both good and bad. Its good because it makes it that much easier to get to this wonderful place in the Caribbean sun. On the other hand I'm afraid it will pose the risk that it will make it too easy for too many to discover the joys of this place and all of the peace and tranquility that we have come to love about Nevis will disappear. I'm afraid that it might become, as Yogi aptly put it, (and I'm paraphrasing) a place where nobody goes anymore; its too crowded.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 6:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
Why would the success of San Juan-Nevis service mean flights to Nevis out of Miami? The airport on Nevis has just been extended to allow ATRs to land -- it won't accommodate jets. ATRs can't make it nonstop from Miami to Nevis.

Besides, the nation of St. Kitts-Nevis already has a jet-worthy airport on the island of St. Kitts, where there are three times the residents and three times the number of hotel rooms as on Nevis. AA doesn't have flights from Miami to St. Kitts either.

Bottom line, AA prefers to have the smaller Caribbean islands served by ATR out of its San Juan hub.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MAH4546:
American Eagle will launch daily San Juan-Nevis service on 15 May 2003, operated with an ATR-42. The daily service will open (reopen?) a new market for American Airlines/American Eagle. If it prooves popular, do not be surprised to see Miami-Nevis service launch in time for winter. </font>
This is good news. I was actually thinking of going to Nevis the next time I visit Antigua. I don't see this as any indication that a Miami-Nevis route will open though. There are already several very popular islands that are not serviced via Miami for them to do this for Nevis.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I got totally confused with St. Kitts and Nevis. I meant to say Miami-St. Kitts service may be in the future, mainly in response to the compieition. USAirways now offers service between St. Kitts and the mainland and Delta is expected to announce it in time for winter.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 7:44 am
SST

This is GREAT! I've been meaning to go back there for some time, and it was always a pain to go to SXM (which has direct Nevis flights), mainly because with all the cruise ships now, SXM has become a ultra-difficult for freebies and super expensive if you pay for a flight. I imagine that's hurt SBH, Statia, Anguilla, etc., too, as well as the French side of St Martin.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm so happy to see so many FTers are familiar with NEVIS. That's were I live and work most of the year, but most times when I travel, folks have never heard of it although they know St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Martin and the like. Now I can proudly change my call city on my profile from SKB to NEV.

It is certainly a paradise in and of itself.

I plan to take the first flight out AA#5111 at 1:50pm on May 15 myself....just for the heck of it.

And unless AA uses an ERJ (very highly unlikely), no jumbojets can land in Nevis yet, nor for a long time to come.

[This message has been edited by Cellisvae (edited 02-27-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.