Cathay Pacific Awards - help/confirmation please

Old May 3, 14, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Cathay Pacific Awards - help/confirmation please

Folks - I am flying to Bangladesh (DAC) in December using my AA miles. I was able to find first class seats on:

- CX (JFK to HKG)
- KA (Dragon) (HKG to DAC)

With connections - can you tell me if I am allowed to book using AA miles?

If so, how much it would cost me? Looking at the AA Oneworld chart, it seems like the cost is 67.5K in first one way to the Indian Subcontinent.

Appreciate the help and any responses.

Thank you.
Old May 3, 14, 1:14 pm

Sure - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp
Old May 3, 14, 1:19 pm
Suspended

OP, a connection in region Asia 2 is not allowed on a North America-Middle East/Indian Subcontinent award. To connect there, you would need 2 awards.

You would do better flying nonstop to Doha or Abu Dhabi and connecting from there, although I loathe the current Doha airport.
Old May 3, 14, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
OP, a connection in region Asia 2 is not allowed on a North America-Middle East/Indian Subcontinent award. To connect there, you would need 2 awards.

You would do better flying nonstop to Doha or Abu Dhabi and connecting from there, although I loathe the current Doha airport.
Thanks Leopold; that totally SUCKS. I was really hoping to try CX First for the first time. Back to the drawing board to see if I can snag an Etihad First. Thank you.
Old May 3, 14, 1:31 pm
Suspended

...You would do better flying nonstop to Doha or Abu Dhabi and connecting from there, although I loathe the current Doha airport.
I've connected in Doha many times and never found it nice, but not awful either-- but, you're certainly not "alone" in this opinion:

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
Avoid connecting in Doha. Very unpleasant and chaotic airport.
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
QR already serves IAH. But let me warn you that Doha is an arm pit of an airport for making connections. I hate it.
Old May 3, 14, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by canuckshark

Thanks Leopold; that totally SUCKS. I was really hoping to try CX First for the first time. Back to the drawing board to see if I can snag an Etihad First. Thank you.
Another option is to fly CX as far as BKK, and then fly on a paid ticket from BKK to DAC. (That route appears to be served by a few different carriers, but I have no idea what the fares are like.)
Old May 3, 14, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Another option is to fly CX as far as BKK, and then fly on a paid ticket from BKK to DAC. (That route appears to be served by a few different carriers, but I have no idea what the fares are like.)
Thanks for the recommendation Guv; spoke to an EXP AA angel and ended up forking over the miles for two tickets. Routing looks like this:

JFK to HKG (CX 841 First) - 67.5K miles
HKG to DAC (KA Bus) - 30K miles

Have a ton of miles so it is not too painful; plus this allows me break my journey and enjoy HKG for a couple of days. Really looking forward to trying out CX first. Thanks to all for your quick responses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: