Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice please- US to JNB/CPT award

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nalismom
JonNYC....thanks for clarifying the difference in award miles required...when you say you book closer to the travel dates about how far out do you call? Our outbound to JNB would be around September 17 2015 and our inbound from CPT would be October 8 2015......is this considered high season?
The thinking is that you can fly the US->LHR on AA and therefore not pay the surcharges on those flights. I go to South Africa every year and have used most combinations possible using AAdv miles as well as several using star alliance miles, but I do book usually a month before at most and do a lot of "adjusting" of dates etc.
Late sept is perfect, not too busy and generally perfect weather.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
If OP will consider using two awards, there's also the option of going via HKG. That's a total of 105k per person each way in business.
Or only 100K one way if willing to go via Asia 1 (Japan/Korea) and then connecting in HKG en route to JNB. @:-)

Does the OP have any interest in stopping off somewhere en route to JNB? If traveling on two awards (via the Middle East or Asia), one could stop over in either place, if desired.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
QR flies two class from JFK, PHL (LAX is coming).
Also from ORD, IAH, MIA beginning June 10 and DFW beginning July 1.

When is LAX coming? I presume they would need to use their 77Ls for that route.
Old May 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, onePass
JonNYC.......just wondering if you and anyone else has/have looked at the available awards since April 8th.........anything going to LHR from US is on BA metal for a MileSaver Business or First Award......of course one could fly AA metal for an Anytime Award but many of us don't have that many miles to burn especially since they # of miles for those awards has increased dramatically and now no stopovers allowed. Of course though AA metal is available if you want to fly coach.

Back in January I booked a return flight FRA-DFW Anytime because MileSaver was not available. It was 125k and I got a 3 month stopover in DFW before going onto MCO for Xmas. Today - for that same date....it is 175k and no stopover.
Old May 3, 2014, 1:29 pm
Suspended

You could buy either miles or a revenue ticket in Y for the trans-Atlantic flights.
Old May 3, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Leopold.....you are right ......I could buy a coach tic in Y for approx $4500 p.p. But I prefer not fly coach or spend that much on a coach tic and I don't have any/enough status for an upgrade.

Ok..... I'm really intrigued by flying DFW-HKG on AA on the 77w in Business and doing a stopover for couple of days in HKG. Looks like if I'm on top of the 331 release I might be able to book O/L. Or would it be better to just call agent 331 days ahead to book the 2 one way awards meaning the HKG to JNB on CX on the 77w. Does anyone know if availability on this one direct per day is fairly decent for awards...... The other flights out of HKG link to BA or QF and are much longer.

I haven't checked the M.E. yet although I can't check awards online I can at least check flights and connections.

So far going through Asia is looking interesting 😍
Old May 3, 2014, 2:42 pm

Does anyone know if availability on this one direct per day is fairly decent for awards...... The other flights out of HKG link to BA or QF and are much longer.
If you're looking for 11 months out, the award availability is pretty good for HKG-JNB nonstop in J (no F on that flight).
Old May 3, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Leopold.....you are right ......I could buy a coach tic in Y for approx $4500 p.p. But I prefer not fly coach or spend that much on a coach tic and I don't have any/enough status for an upgrade.
Since when are JFK-LHR roundtrip economy fares $4,500 per person?
Old May 3, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Y is full fare/fully flexible economy........discount economy is $1250. For the price of Y I might as well fly Business but I really don't want to spend close to 10k for tickets for 2 people
Old May 3, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Ok ......just checked Eithad site and their award availability tool for Eithad Guest....and there does seem to be a lot of awards still at 6 months out......of course this is for their program so I don't know how their number of miles correspond to AA's # of miles needed or if these flights would be avail for AA folks.

Thanks beerup.....I'm seriously thinking about starting DFW-HKG-JNB and then perhaps JNB-AUH or DOH-DFW.

In any case lots to think about and y'all have me thinking about making this Africa trip an around the world trip��
Old May 3, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
From NY for 2 pax I did AA to LHR on paid Y tix (with SWU upgrades) and BA F to SA with avios. It made finding the BA awards easier, reduced the surcharges, and got AA EQM for the AA flight, which one of us needed. All in it was under $2,000 pp plus the avios and SWUs.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Not eligible for SWU upgrades...don't have Avios....and I'm looking at the price chart on AA right now and yes economy from JFK -LHR is $1090 lowest price...booking code N not Y.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Not eligible for SWU upgrades...don't have Avios....and I'm looking at the price chart on AA right now and yes economy from JFK -LHR is $1090 lowest price...booking code N not Y.
Can you find a lower fare to somewhere else in Europe? Your AA award from Europe to Africa does not have to begin in LON (even though you will have to pass through London on the award).
Old May 4, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Can you find a lower fare to somewhere else in Europe? Your AA award from Europe to Africa does not have to begin in LON (even though you will have to pass through London on the award).
Obviously how everyone values their miles and their SWUs differs, but it doesn't seem to me the paying to Europe option is especially good value.Here is a summary of the alternatives:
  1. DFW-HKG-JNB-DOH-DFW
    Total: 217.5k miles plus $150

2. An award using BA
    Total: 150k miles plus $1750

3. An award using AA (TATL)* plus BA
    Total: 150k miles plus $650

4. Pay to Europe, miles/copay upgrade, award from Europe
    RT fare to Europe in econ: $1000
    Upgrade (miles/copay): 50k miles plus $700
    Award Europe to JNB: 75k miles plus $1000**
    Total 125k miles plus $2700***

5. Pay to Europe, SWU, award from Europe
    RT fare to Europe in econ: $1000
    Award Europe to JNB: 75k miles plus $1000**
    Total 75k miles plus $2000 plus 2 SWUs***
*MileSAAver J/F availability on AA is pretty poor these days

**if the paid flight arrives in LHR less than 24 hours before the award flight leaves, APD would not be due so total would be less. However, APD would be collected and a refund from HM Revenue and Customs would need to be processed. Good luck with that!

***not accounting for RDMs earned TATL

Variants of option 1 would be by transiting Asia 2 in both directions or the Middle East in both directions which would change the mileage to 210k or 225k respectively. Any of these variants would allow stopovers at the intermediate points (since they are separate awards in and out of those points). Personally, I would rank options #3 as the best value if there is availability, followed by #1. Also a hybrid of #1 and #3 would be a good option if there is a TATL AA MileSAAver J/F award available in one direction.

Last edited by beerup; May 4, 2014 at 8:41 am
Old May 4, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"if the paid flight arrives in LHR less than 24 hours before the award flight leaves, APD would not be due so total would be less. However, APD would be collected and a refund from HM Revenue and Customs would need to be processed. Good luck with that!"

Well, the APD would be collected only if the Europe-Africa award began in the UK. If the award began in, for example, DUB or AMS or Scandinavia, then no UK APD would be due, just the LHR PSC for each transit via LHR.

Last edited by guv1976; May 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.