Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AA promo: Experience Elite Status on Us!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:11 pm

I couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere so I thought this might be the place to post it.

I just received an offer through the mail for complimentary platinum elite status through Sept. 15, 2014 as well as twenty 500-mile upgrades.

If I fly 12,000 EQMs by Sept. 15, 2014 I'll receive platinum elite status through Feb. 2016.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
For anyone that receives such an offer:

Can you mention 1) what status you were last year, 2) how close you were to re-qualifying, and 3) how much your "buy it back" offer was?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Debonaire
For anyone that receives such an offer:

Can you mention 1) what status you were last year, 2) how close you were to re-qualifying, and 3) how much your "buy it back" offer was?
I've never had any elite status. In my life I've only flown 1 paid flight (to NYC) on AA, I have flown 2 award trips though. I'm thinking the reason I was targeted was the fact that I have 2 Citi AA Exec cards, a Citi AA Platinum card, and a Citi AA Biz Card.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 1MM
Looks like same offer for Plat. My mother just received one via email. She barely made Gold this year and has not been Plat in at least two years. She does fly paid Business class every time, so maybe AA is doing this for higher revenue generating pax? Either way, it looks like things may get a little diluted for both Gold and Plat this year.

"Hello -------'
AAdvantage Number: Xxxxx

Elevating your journey is important to us. That's why we're adding an average of one new plane a week to build the most modern fleet among the largest U.S. airlines. To see how we're improving your travel, we're offering you complimentary AAdvantage® Platinum status through September 15, 2014.

You'll be eligible for elite status benefits including:
Special upgrade privileges
100% mileage bonus on eligible flights
Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra and
Preferred Seats
Priority check-in and boarding
Two free checked bags
How about Platinum status through February 29, 2016?
Simply register, then start flying on American, US Airways or other select airlines* to earn 12,000 elite-qualifying miles or points between April 28 and September 15, 2014. That's all it takes to extend your newfound perks.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:00 pm

Wife just got this. She hasn't been elite for at least 6 years. We fly AA on awards mostly the last few years, but did have one trip to South America paid in business last year and one to Europe the year prior, both were discount fares about $2K round trip, so not big revenue generators by any means.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
How about Platinum status through February 29, 2016?
So, as I was EXP last year and am PLAT this year, I have to fly 50,000 miles, and they only have to fly 12,000 to get PLAT through 2/29/2016? Also, since I was EXP in January, when I flew 20,000 miles to get NO 500-mile stickers (since I was EXP), and they get 20 stickers? Seems strange to me. Hope somebody from AA is reading this topic.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:53 am

Would earning 10,000 EQMs from spending $40k on the Citi Executive card count towards the 12,000 EQMs needed to maintain Platinum status? Or is it only actual butt-in-seat miles?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
It seems there is little benefit to requalifying for plat this year with AA if its likely next year theyll just send non qualifiers a offer? maybe if they do a ELTA offer soon there might be some benefit to credit flights to AA for the rest of the year, obviously YMMV but I do feel they are only fishing for new elites with no real new benefits for current elites.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by dawgsontop
Would earning 10,000 EQMs from spending $40k on the Citi Executive card count towards the 12,000 EQMs needed to maintain Platinum status? Or is it only actual butt-in-seat miles?

ONLY BIS miiles would count same as a regular paid challenge
Old May 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
My wife lost her status last year, just missing gold. She received multiple offers to buy it back for $395. She usually flies with me and shares my benefits. For the few times when she flies on her own it will be cheaper for her to pay for a better seat (she never checks a bag), so she declined. Two weeks ago she received another letter, offering her the last chance to pay $395 for gold.

Today she received a letter with a promo code offering her free gold status through September 15 plus ten 500 mile upgrades if she simply registers for it. In other words, free gold status. The letter indicated that if she flies 6,000 EQM by 9/15 she will have gold status until 2/29/2016. Basically, it's a gold giveaway, at least until 9/15/2014, and an almost giveaway thereafter.

I'm glad for her, but these giveaways really demean status. I doubt she'll ever get to use the ten 500 mile upgrades as a gold. This was not a soft landing offer. For the last 9 years she has been gold, with an occasional year as platinum.

As far as status goes, I'm not sure that this is a good thing overall.
NO... Gold is pretty much worthless now. I am Gold and pretty much worthless.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jbdk
I've always considered priority security to be one of the best benefits of Gold, but perhaps those with TSA Pre will disagree.

I suppose the discount in MCE helps a bit when you want to buy it for a long-haul international trip.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
My wife got an offer for Gold

My wife barely flies (although we usually go to Europe once a year) and I don't think has ever qualified for Gold except once more than 10 years ago. However, she is a long-time Citi Aadvantage Platinum credit card holder, and when she does fly, she is often in business or first. I am EXP so I usually upgrade her. She had gotten some stickers from prior Gold year, but I have never been able to use them for her. Bottom line, it doesn't really give much of an advantage to her, but it was free so I registered. I tried to register my daughter, but this offer was linked only to invited Aadvantage members.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
with no real new benefits for current elites
Yep, actually harm to current elites since we have to fly 4X as many miles for the same status, and the ranks get filled making our benefits harder to get. I sure hope AA really benefits from these new elites while hurting current ones. I'm not sure I'll make much of an effort for my remaining 10,000 miles to get PLAT next year.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dawgsontop
I couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere so I thought this might be the place to post it.

I just received an offer through the mail for complimentary platinum elite status through Sept. 15, 2014 as well as twenty 500-mile upgrades.

If I fly 12,000 EQMs by Sept. 15, 2014 I'll receive platinum elite status through Feb. 2016.
12K EQMS in 4 1/2 months.. Not even requiring a PLT earning rate to keep status. They could at least require 12K EQPs
Old May 2, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by jbdk
No, while GLD status may be worthless, you are not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.