Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking suggestions- SFO/LAX/?-> LIS/MAD using FF in mid Sept.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
One of the reasons I suggested LAX-MAD is that you will only have a very short SFO-LAX segment in a domestically configured plane, and then a very long segment in international J. I don't know about you, but I always want my transoceanic segment to be the longest one by far so that I maximize my time in the nicest hard product and minimize my time in domestic configs. IB has a fully flat J class on most planes that it is updating to an even better fully flat product, so as far as hard product goes it will be hard to go wrong there. I stand by my recommendation.
OK, fair enough. I won't rule it out.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Question- If we book 2 RTs SJC->MAD or DFW/MAD on our CC, is it possible to get to business class with the 293k points I have?

Is that a dumb way to go?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Question- If we book 2 RTs SJC->MAD or DFW/MAD on our CC, is it possible to get to business class with the 293k points I have?
You can upgrade paid coach tickets with miles and a copay. Could be a little tricky to find that availability up front depending when you want to fly, so you might have to waitlist and take your chances.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
We are going to Spain in Sept 2014, booked LAX-MAD in IB J cabin 330 days out with AA Saaver award, MAD-PHL-SAN on US in J using UA saver award (prior to US' move to OW).

How about BCN? Sporadic saver availability on US in Y.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
While a bit risky, the best chance of scoring saver awards will be to subscribe to a service like expertflyer, set up a series of alerts for flights from AA gateways. As it will be low season, AA will likely begin to release inventory as the date approaches - likely within 90 days of departure. There are threads dedicated specifically to strategies to improve your chances of success in the pre-merger forum, as well as best uses of expert flyer.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diver858
We are going to Spain in Sept 2014, booked LAX-MAD in IB J cabin 330 days out with AA Saaver award, MAD-PHL-SAN on US in J using UA saver award (prior to US' move to OW).

How about BCN? Sporadic saver availability on US in Y.
I had not given much thought to BCN. We're sorta looking at a trip that takes us down to Lisbon so I thought MAD was about a far that direction as reasonable. Guess we could catch a HS train.

I do see some availability but it's overlapping a trip to Toronto I have to take for business darn it.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
You can upgrade paid coach tickets with miles and a copay. Could be a little tricky to find that availability up front depending when you want to fly, so you might have to waitlist and take your chances.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/o...rade-chart.jsp
That disclaimers/ upgrade link has been very helpful thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make this happen. Certainly a lot of work- even 5 months away. I'm seeing some folks planning 300+days out that that blows my mind.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It all comes down to the time of year you fly, and it would help to have some flexibility in travel dates to be able to grab upgrade seats that might appear, even if they're on different flights and dates. I've cleared 100% of my international systemwide upgrades going into year 13 now, including Seoul and Madrid this year, but I tend to be out there October-March when there's less demand to Europe and Asia.

I don't enjoy dealing with crowds of tourists in Europe in the summer (though I did exactly that last August in Barcelona and Lisbon because of World Swimming Championships with award travel). Probably 90% or more of my upgrades clear at booking.

When it comes to getting on the upgrade list, you'll have a lower place on it without AA elite status, and you will be competing with some that have booked 11 months out for peak travel. Certainly possible you might not clear at all. With EXP status you might have a fighting chance, but with no status at all there's a lot of factors working against you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.