Aborted landing AA 1335 tonight [23 Apr 2014]

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum, AA Citi Executive
Aborted landing AA 1335 tonight [23 Apr 2014]

On 1335 tonight and no more than 15 feet off the ground( I can see the runway under us)all of a sudden it's full power go around. Captain let us know there was another aircraft that came on the runway. First time being a part of an aborted landing. Saw one once though at HKIA with a CX 777. Crew handled it very professionally with an announcement by the flight attendent letting us know what took place and that there would be an announcement by the captain shortly.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It can be scary. I was on the last few minutes of a TPAC from NRT to LAX, when we took a right-hand roll and actually flew over the "circular thingy" in the middle of parking at LAX. Very exciting, and the crew said nothing. It was not AA. Glad you are OK.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Go-arounds can be very unsettling. Some posters here have reported that they actually enjoy them, since they are breaks from the monotony of typical landings for the frequent flyer. As someone who flies frequently myself, though, I am not ashamed to admit that they can scare the hell out of me.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by metallo
Go-arounds can be very unsettling. Some posters here have reported that they actually enjoy them, since they are breaks from the monotony of typical landings for the frequent flyer. As someone who flies frequently myself, though, I am not ashamed to admit that they can scare the hell out of me.
They're quite fun if it occurs when flying on a 757.. Feels like a rocket blasting off the runway when those engines crank up! Had my first and only (so far) go-around at MCO a few years back on UA from ORD. Definitely an experience.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
They're quite fun if it occurs when flying on a 757.. Feels like a rocket blasting off the runway when those engines crank up! Had my first and only (so far) go-around at MCO a few years back on UA from ORD. Definitely an experience.
+1 on the 757. Those babies are either greyhounds or cheetahs!

Back in the old days (the 80's), we would just "launch" instead of the (ho hum)
take off of today. I'm a big fan of the "trireme".

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:35 am Reason: substituted for offensive term
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I'm a big fan of the "trireme".
Yes, I like the 777-300 too!

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:36 am Reason: see referenced post
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Several years ago, I had an abort take-off experience. We go full throttle on the runway and suddenly pilot slams the brakes. ATC called it off for reasons unexplained. IIRC, the cooling period for super heated brakes for abt 40mins.

It was my pre-"aviation nut" days so I forget the airline/aircraft but it was a transatlantic flight (so maybe a jumbo?).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I'm not freaked out by them, but Boring == Good in air travel.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
You ain't experienced nuthin until it happens to you at TGU (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) where even a normal landing is anything but and where even a very slightly misaligned approach gives the pilot 2 seconds to decide whether to proceed or try again. This is a place where the cars waiting on the road at the start of the runway (barriers like a train crossing) close their windows in order not to be burnt by the jet exhaust. I have been both on board (many times) and at the crossing (sheer curiosity).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sinanju
I'm not freaked out by them, but Boring == Good in air travel.
I'm a huge fan of 'boring', 'monotonous', 'routine' and 'normal' when it comes to describing how any flight of mine operates
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:14 am

My favourite aborted landing was at LGA - the go-round route took us in a tight loop all round Manhattan. Sitting in a window seat on the left of the plane meant some great views before getting back to LGA again.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
They don't bother me, except for the time wasted. I've had at least 10. The only scary one was due to wind shear.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Had one of those on an attempted DL 757 landing at LGA 4/22 southbound on a very rainy and gusty evening. Shot up like a rocket. The other two were boring - 180 degree wind directional change at IAH before a thunderstorm and in a private jet, avoiding a slow to depart the runway prior landing at White Plains.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mqmb
My favourite aborted landing was at LGA - the go-round route took us in a tight loop all round Manhattan. Sitting in a window seat on the left of the plane meant some great views before getting back to LGA again.
Try one coming into DCA from the south. The go-around pattern is to make a VERY VERY VERY (very) ABRUPT righthand turn to avoid passing over the White House.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Stripy
I'm a huge fan of 'boring', 'monotonous', 'routine' and 'normal' when it comes to describing how any flight of mine operates
As a one-time pilot, I agree! Imagine missed approaches at Kai Tak, Truman, La Aurora, the old Quito, Cusco or others like "Tegoose"...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.