Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted landing AA 1335 tonight [23 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That's funny, I had an aborted landing at LGA on the 22nd. My first one as well.

You could tell something was up when on approach somewhere over Brooklyn the pilot started executing about 3 or 4 S-turns to gain a little more time.

My guess is that ATC knew that it was going to be tight, but in the interest of slotting planes in, tried to buffer it a bit to make it work.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've had two. One landing in PSP when a plane pulled out. No biggie, full power and come back around.

The other was on New Year's Eve a couple years ago landing in SAN. The fog was really thick. The pilot tried a normal (from the east) landing but aborted because he couldn't see the approach lights. Then he lined up to try from the west. We were sitting in F and could hear the altimeter calling out the elevations 200....100.... Finally full power and we make the trek to LAX. Captain said he got down to 50 feet and still couldn't see the runway. Rang in the New Year on a bus on the 405.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by trizzil
On 1335 tonight and no more than 15 feet off the ground( I can see the runway under us)all of a sudden it's full power go around. Captain let us know there was another aircraft that came on the runway. First time being a part of an aborted landing. Saw one once though at HKIA with a CX 777. Crew handled it very professionally with an announcement by the flight attendent letting us know what took place and that there would be an announcement by the captain shortly.
Routine stuff
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had 4 or 5 over the years. None of them particularly interesting...usually explained by the captain as another aircraft in the runway. All have been good weather and pretty standard airports like MCI, DEN, etc.

I've only had 1 aborted takeoff. That was mildly alarming...captain explained it was a warning light in the cockpit that came on in the middle of the takeoff roll. They were able to resolve it in a few minutes (no deplaning necessary). After the slow two-mile-long taxi back to our starting point, we were on our way...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Never had an aborted takeoff.

I've had two aborted landings. The first was into SJC. I was a pretty inexperienced flyer and I didn't fully understand the announcement but it was something along the lines of an ATC thinking we were going to SFO (which I think implied another aircraft cleared onto our runway at SJC).

The second was a few months ago on QX into YVR. We were on a normal EB approach, and then we just gradually started ascending and made a whole series of vectors. I thought maybe they reversed the landing direction but we eventually landed again to the East. No announcement at all on that one. The abort decision was made a lot earlier than the one at SJC so we weren't that close to the runway yet.'

Flight Aware AS 2242 Nov 13 2013

Last edited by makfan; Apr 25, 2014 at 12:58 am Reason: Add URL
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
A few years ago I was flying dfw-las, the pilot misjudged his landing "parameters" and close to td aborted--the plane had to fly to lax, make a U-turn over the Pacific Ocean, fly back to las, this landing was OK.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
A few years ago I was flying dfw-las, the pilot misjudged his landing "parameters" and close to td aborted--the plane had to fly to lax, make a U-turn over the Pacific Ocean, fly back to las, this landing was OK.
BS Flag up.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Nothing like a 757 aborted landing. Those birds can rip it up when needed. Twice in the last three months into LAX. Loved it...but still adds an element of uncomfort.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by viking737
BS Flag up.
Yea, makes no sense...
Old May 9, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA PLT
In January, I was on AA SAT-DFW leg and the pilot aborted the takeoff due to a cargo door sensor coming on. We returned to the gate and maintenance took a look at it for about 30 minutes and then we were on our way again. About three days later I got an email from AA saying the captain's decision to abort the takeoff was done with our safety in mind, and for my understanding and patience they deposited 10,000 bonus miles into my AAdvantage account.

Very different from my experience on an AA flight about 10 years ago from DFW to CLE. A ways into the flight the pilot came on and stated one of the engines was vibrating to such a degree that he was going to turn around and make an emergency landing in Little Rock. It was strange because me and my travel partner had not felt anything. The plane banked and did a 180 and as soon as we leveled off the aircraft just started vibrating like nobody's business. We made it to Little Rock and the runway had been cleared and the firetrucks were waiting. Everything went fine but as soon as we deplaned it was like "step to the right and f--- off." They removed everyone's luggage and we were told they were going to repair the plane which they could not estimate the time it would take and there were no other flights into DFW. So we rented a car and drove back. No compensation afterwards, and I didn't bother to complain. Just was happy we made it back safe.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by trizzil
On 1335 tonight and no more than 15 feet off the ground( I can see the runway under us)all of a sudden it's full power go around. Captain let us know there was another aircraft that came on the runway. First time being a part of an aborted landing. Saw one once though at HKIA with a CX 777. Crew handled it very professionally with an announcement by the flight attendent letting us know what took place and that there would be an announcement by the captain shortly.
Only once (in all these years of flying), same scenario and on AA. Years ago - 90's summertime landing at MCO. A 727. Scared the - out of us at the time. Nothing like hearing and feeling the G's of that sudden full power engine surge, when you are expecting touch down bump.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
oh...are we telling go-around stories? I've got two:

1) On a AA DFW-DCA flying a runway 19 approach (down the Potomac from the north/west) at night in a driving rainstorm. Cross the threshold...engines spool up...and left turn...off we go up the Anacostia and circle around back to the pattern through Maryland. I was loving it...the little old lady in the seat next to me, not so much. Explained as sudden crosswind gust.

2) On a US PHL-MSY flight...on short final final approaching MSY from the west over the bayous. Engines spool up and we make a very tight 360 degree turn, and proceed on in for approach and landing. Not a go-around in the strictest sense...but we did "go-around" in a circle. Aircraft in front failed to exit the runway in a timely manner.

Also have been on-board an aircraft that was the cause of a go-around. On a UA DCA-ORD flight which ATC cleared onto the runway for takeoff too soon. Listening to channel 9 heard ATC order us to exit the runway...looked out the window, saw a NW Airbus executing a go-around directly overhead. That one was a little unnerving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.