frustration of web-special and history of fare (just vent)

Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
frustration of web-special and history of fare (just vent)

This is how a $350 ticket turned out to be $450.

1. Put up and itn. with $350 to London, but AA.com's error thus cannot even hold the reservation.

2. Next day. try it one more time and same fare basis becomes $450

3. Talk to the Web Support, a very nice agent actually help me to dig into the fare history and found the fare last night (which is been up for a few days) was NEVER THERE.

4. He even told me that the rate desk can (and did many time) will erease the history of certain fare basis so that no agent can go back to the history to refer to.

5. So give up and booked it, then asked the EXP desk to change it to N-fare (so to apply discout code to save $30), told it is done.

6. Late, when ready to ticket, discovered the fare is still webfare, i.e. cannot use discount code. Tried to convert the booking to non-web, oops... no more inventory.

7. Many of you may ask... if you want such DIRT CHEAP TICKET, why just not do it in one session...yes I am a student, but sometimes even a student cannot just "play" with AA.com and AAgents for so long at once.

8. So, the dream of $350 turned out to be a few hours of tourture with AA.com and AAgents.. and yet the fare become $450 (in competition, it is so expensive that even not listed in travelocity without hitting
"see more fares").

9. Thank You AA, you just gave me a great Chinese New Year Gift by bursting my dream to fly cheap and hours of "entertainment" with you ticketing system

10. I am such bad luck in the New Year Day? AA, please don't tell me I will encounter this all year long!!

VENTED, THANK YOU for your listening and sorry for wasting your time, my deer fellow FTers.

Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

This is how a $350 ticket turned out to be $450.

1. Put up an itn. with $350 to London, but AA.com has error thus cannot even hold the reservation.

2. Next day. I tried it one more time and the same fare basis becomes $450

3. Talk to the Web Support, a very nice agent actually help me to dig into the fare history and found that the fare shown last night (which is been up for a few days) was NEVER THERE.

4. He even told me that the rate desk can (and did many time) erease the history of certain fare basis so that no agent can go back to the history to refer to.

5. So give up and booked it, then asked the EXP desk to change it to N-fare (so to apply discout code to save $30), told it is done.

6. Late, when ready to ticket, discovered the fare is still webfare, i.e. cannot use discount code. Tried to convert the booking to non-web, oops... no more inventory.

7. Many of you may ask... if you want such DIRT CHEAP TICKET (L, N fares are considered insane for many people, ok.. I know), why just not do it in one session...yes I am a student, but sometimes even a student cannot just "play" with AA.com and AAgents for so long at once.

8. So, the dream of $350 turned out to be a few hours of tourture with AA.com and AA AAgents.. and yet the fare become $450 (in the competition of such low season, it is so expensive that even not listed in travelocity without hitting "see more fares").

9. Thank You AA, you just gave me a great Chinese New Year Gift by bursting my dream to fly cheap and hours of "entertainment" with you ticketing system

10. I am such bad luck in the New Year Day? AA, please don't tell me I will encounter this all year long!!

VENTED, THANK YOU for your listening and sorry for wasting your time, my dear fellow FTers, and btw, Wish you all HAPPY TRAVEL IN THE YEAR OF GOAT!!
Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:39 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I'd love to bounce a meaningful response to your post because I use aa.com for tix very successfully, but, you write...

"1. Put up and itn. with $350 to London, but AA.com's error thus cannot even hold the reservation."

What the heck does this mean?
Old Feb 1, 2003, 10:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
I'd love to bounce a meaningful response to your post because I use aa.com for tix very successfully, but, you write...

"1. Put up and itn. with $350 to London, but AA.com's error thus cannot even hold the reservation."

</font>

most web special fares can't be Held-- they're instant purchase only.

Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:26 am
Original Poster

the system get all the flight and priced it, but once I want to go to the screen which allows me to hold for purchase, it turned to an error page.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you held a reservation at $350, but came back tomorrow and the $350 fare was gone - the fare would go up on your held reservation anyway. Fares are not guaranteed until you fork over the $$$.

So, even if AA.com HAD let you hold the itinerary, you STILL would have ended up paying $450 because that's the price it would have been when you actually came back to pay.

- cheapo
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:22 pm

Could it be the taxes? Most flights to Europe end up about $100 higher than the initial price because of taxes. And sometimes the full cost (price + taxes) doesn't show up until you are about to complete the purchase. It can be a little tricky.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:29 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:

most web special fares can't be Held-- they're instant purchase only.

</font>
Thanks for the explanation! I didn't know this.

To the original poster - you think this is bad? How about if you get one of these deals and then it's lower later! This happens to me all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.