FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

Million Miles / Million Miler Program ARCHIVE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by GregL
I've actually wondered if I could find a way to get to exactly 1,999,999 before my flights credit early next week!
Donate $49.50 to the National Parks Foundation or $247.50 to UNICEF. Even if they don't post in time, you will know you have the miles!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by blaquercia
Here is my question: If reaching 1mm gets you Gold for life, does that mean you are that much closer to getting to the next tier each year? In other words, does it give you a "head start" for getting to the next level each year too?
No but it does mean you get the 25% bonus miles forever, no matter how much you fly.

(Or 100% if you make platinum any year).
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by JGR01
1. You should get a congratulatory e-mail in about 2-3 weeks.

2. You should get your 1MM packet (new EXP card and luggage tags with 1MM circle) sometime (6+weeks?).

3. Your stickers tend to hit the account before the e-mail arrives but about 2 weeks [aa runs a batch program for MM crossings less frequently than the tier-crossing program]. It should be pretty easy for an EXP to see stickers being added since you do not accumulate them by the 10k method...

Suggest looking at the wiki also in case I haved missed a benefit...
I rolled over the 1MM mark on Jan 15 of this year, but as of today (Feb 12) I have seen nothing from AA reference this milestone. No email, no new stickers in my account, nothing. My online account does show lifetime miles at 1,005,279 but that is the only indication I have. Should I be worried that I have been overlooked?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by bobd46
Should I be worried that I have been overlooked?
No, you really shouldn't be worried... yet.
But seriously, it really hasn't been an overlong period of time and I expect your packet will arrive any day now.

However, why not make a quick phone call to AA? That would be the best way to alleviate your concerns. It matters more what AA tells you than what we here have to say about it.

Edited to add:
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
No, you really shouldn't be worried... yet.
But seriously, it really hasn't been an overlong period of time and I expect your packet will arrive any day now.

However, why not make a quick phone call to AA? That would be the best way to alleviate your concerns. It matters more what AA tells you than what we here have to say about it.

Edited to add:
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk!
Thanks for the welcome from another Okie - long time lurker, first time poster . I called the AA PLT desk and found out that they are currently doing annual maintenance, but she confirmed my status and said I should receive my notification in early March (after I have been demoted to GLD ) and the luggage tags will be gold ones.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:07 pm

Million Miles / Million Miler Program ARCHIVE

the luggage tags will be gold ones.
Somehow that seems unfair because everybody knows that the PLT million mile tags will make you appear much more important than the GLD ones ever could. Well, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll send out the package earlier than the agent stated. Hopefully, some time this month while you're still PLT.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:59 pm

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
I rolled over the 1MM mark on Jan 15 of this year, but as of today (Feb 12) I have seen nothing from AA reference this milestone. No email, no new stickers in my account, nothing.
No one told you? Ed McMahon will be delivering the packet to your house. Sometimes he brings a check!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:52 am

I happily crossed the 1mm threshhold today! I imagine most people won't care, but this stuff fascinates me, and where else can one share meaningless minutae like this...here are some stats on my million miles earned with AA.

It took me 7 years + 1 month to earn the million. I signed up in Jan 00. In those 7 years I was:
Gld 4 years
PLT 2 years
No status in 1 year (unemployed!)

1m miles breakdown:
337k = flight miles
192k = bonus miles for Gld/Plt status
323k = Citibank Mastercard miles
8k = hotel bonuses
14k = dining miles
126k = Miscellaneous, including AA shopping, car rentals, AA.com reservations bonuses, and various other AA special offers.

Thanks for indulging me.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mdf63
Thanks for indulging me.
You're welcome. Congrats.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by mdf63
I happily crossed the 1mm threshhold today! I imagine most people won't care, but this stuff fascinates me, and where else can one share meaningless minutae like this...here are some stats on my million miles earned with AA.

It took me 7 years + 1 month to earn the million. I signed up in Jan 00. In those 7 years I was:
Gld 4 years
PLT 2 years
No status in 1 year (unemployed!)

1m miles breakdown:
337k = flight miles
192k = bonus miles for Gld/Plt status
323k = Citibank Mastercard miles
8k = hotel bonuses
14k = dining miles
126k = Miscellaneous, including AA shopping, car rentals, AA.com reservations bonuses, and various other AA special offers.

Thanks for indulging me.
Congrats! Wow, you keep amazing records ^ I also just made the 1MM in about 7 years, but have no clue as to my breakdown.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Indo-flyer
Congrats! Wow, you keep amazing records ^ I also just made the 1MM in about 7 years, but have no clue as to my breakdown.
I know all about my breakdown...but I'm much better now...

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by nako
Then I guess that little thing about my message showing as being last edited at 11:04 pm really doesn't mean anything.

I really don't think that the bulk of people here care that lifetime PLT exists, to the extent that the mere existence of them somehow dilutes the pool for those people who actually do fly. (The math really doesn't bear out that there is a real impact, in my opinion, given the number of seats and flights in a given day.)

I'll stand by what I've said -- expecting that someone with lifetime GLD or PLT status should be treated as more valuable than an EXP is unrealistic and unreasonable, and frankly, it makes little business sense for AA. And I can guarantee that the odds of AA making changes to allow for lifetime EXPs is next to nil. If anything, AA is eventually going to make the lifetime programs more restrictive, in that they'll get to a point where only flight miles are counted. (And that, in my opinion, isn't an if. It's a when.)

Mike
I agree with you.

In general, I would think that the airline's higher priority is rewarding passengers who flew recently. In that view, the person who flew 100,000 miles last year (exp) is more valuable to the airline than someone who flew 1,000,000 miles in the 80s and flies very little now.

Furthermore, most EXPs are probably either million milers or close to it and a high percentage are probably 2 million milers, so the premise that lifetime PTs are more valuable is erroneous. Keep in mind that in order to get EXP, you're going to fly 100,000 miles, but that should be worth at least 200,000 (and probably more like 300,000) Aadvantage miles and lifetime miles after you add in all the bonuses. The biggest priority for the airline is someone who is both lifetime PT and current EXP.

I agree that they'll change the program some day (probably counting only actual miles flown in the million miler program), but hope they hold of another 18 months or so until I hit 2 million miles and lifetime PT.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
Smile

Originally Posted by jragosta
... most EXPs are probably either million milers or close to it and a high percentage are probably 2 million milers...
OK! Now you've done it! I have been thinking about asking this question for years. I often fight with Customer Service for support and have to indicate the quantity of revenue that I have generated for AA vs. the miles flown. Why? Because I am a "short hopper" more than a long hauler. I have lived aboard "the flying shoe box," iced over in ATRs, rubbed the shoulders of tired JetStream FOs, sat back with my champagne in the luxury and speed of the SAABs, reveled in the joy of the Fokker 100, and now live life in cramped and sore arsed style in RJs....

So, without further ado -- can anyone answer "What percentage of AAdvantage members are:"

1) Gold
2) Plat
3) ExPlat
4) 1 Million Milers
5) 2 Million Milers
6) Greater than 3 Million Milers

Finally - being a founding member of AAdvantage, I receive nothing in the way of special service or even an ability to converse with an empowered Customer Service rep at American Airlines. So, yes, if you fly with us regularly in the last 18 months, you get what you need. If you fly with us regularly over 25 years... you get nada!

It will be interesting statistics -- to me anyway. I look forward to the answers.

Thanks.
2+ Million on everyone else...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by oldAGE

So, without further ado -- can anyone answer "What percentage of AAdvantage members are:"

1) Gold
2) Plat
3) ExPlat
4) 1 Million Milers
5) 2 Million Milers
6) Greater than 3 Million Milers
Most of this has been asked before and there have been some fairly knowledgeable guesses; although you'll see a lot of variation in them.
Do a search and see what you find. However, this is proprietary information that the airlines are understandably reticent to give out.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
Oh well... I guess I will get the usual WAGs as has been posted previously -- Answers like 250,000 Gold vs. 2+ million Gold have been reported in the previous threads I had found. That is the reason I asked again. It is now many years later and thought that someone might have more accurate accounting.

And so it goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.