Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Devaluation, new award tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Devaluation and revocation without prior announcement April 8, 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.

What are oneworld Explorer awards? Visit this link for full details. Also, here is an explanation courtesy of guv1976:

Originally Posted by guv1976
The oneworld Explorer is a paid ticket. AA's Explorer award permitted one to redeem miles for distance-based, multi-partner travel. It provided exceptional value, especially in Business Class. For example, for 150,000 AA miles, one could redeem for an Explorer award that allowed between 20,001 and 25,000 flown miles in Business.
Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Print Wikipost

Devaluation, new award tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Just curious - was there any rumor at all about discontinuing the OW Explorer award?
I had heard over year ago from a former very, very high AAdv source something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "..and member would pay for the flights they use" but that was during a conversation about "customer must use most direct routing" on partner flex awards and how/if that rule intermingled with carrier published fares requirement so I never for a second thought it was making any reference whatsoever to eliminating Explorer awards.

Looking back at the email exchange, I can see that maybe there were -some- signs there that AA was definitely planning on coming much closer to "the fewer flights per award the better"-- it's kind of all there in a sense.

But, at the end of it, I personally never heard any credible rumors of elimination of Explorer awards whatsoever.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I for one still haven't seen an official announcement of them eliminating explorer awards or stopovers on zone crossing awards, they just became unbookable both online and by phone.
The only announcement is a few words on the web site
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
If AA was sincerely surprised at the backlash yesterday, why not reinstate Explorer awards for a week? Give folks a chance to book their dream trip. The infrastructure is there. The agents are just as trained (or not) as they were 2 days ago.

Oh right. This is about $$$.
Given the limited availability and random release schedule for awards, reinstating for a week isn't likely to help much.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
The only announcement is a few words on the web site
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp
Every time I look at that page the shocking, no-notice suddenness of it really hits an unpleasant chord in my inner brain. It's just such a jarring and unprecedented move.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Every time I look at that page the shocking, no-notice suddenness of it really hits an unpleasant chord in my inner brain. It's just such a jarring and unprecedented move.
Agreed. This, I think, more than anything, is why I have filed written complaints with both AA and the DOT. It shows an absolute and complete disregard for the most loyal AA customers. Aside from being unfair and wrong, it is just a plain slap in the face.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I had heard over year ago from a former very, very high AAdv source something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "..and member would pay for the flights they use" but that was during a conversation about "customer must use most direct routing" on partner flex awards and how/if that rule intermingled with carrier published fares requirement so I never for a second thought it was making any reference whatsoever to eliminating Explorer awards.

Looking back at the email exchange, I can see that maybe there were -some- signs there that AA was definitely planning on coming much closer to "the fewer flights per award the better"-- it's kind of all there in a sense.

But, at the end of it, I personally never heard any credible rumors of elimination of Explorer awards whatsoever.
Thanks for answering. I actually thought AA would just increase miles required for redeeming this awards. Who would have thought that it was completely gutted. I read somewhere that AA eliminated OW Explorer award was because not many actually redeemed this type of award. This could well be true. I used to get agents telling me that they had not seen routing or awards like this.

This type of award were not easy to pull together. Had I not benefited from FT knowledge, I would have gone nowhere.

Is there any other similar award among other OW carriers?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
I had always thought that this award would be discontinued, just didn't think it would come this quick and without any advance notice. AA just took away the last thing that made me stay loyal. Glad we did all the awards while it lasted. We have so many fond memories with this award. We are gonna miss it VERY MUCH.

Oneworld Explorer Awards - RIP

JFK-LHR-CDG, ORY-BCN-MAD-LIS-MAD-LHR-JFK
JFK-LAX-SYD-CNS-SYD-MEL-HOB-MEL-CNS-HKG-LHR-JFK
JFK-BCN-MAD-VIE-LHR-YYZ-LGA
BOS-LHR-BRU-ORD-LGA, JFK-GRU-EZE-LIM-CUZ-LIM-MIA-PHL-ORD-JFK-BDA-JFK-BOS
JFK-MAD-CMN-MAD-LPA-VIE-DUS-ORD-PVG-KUL-DPS-HKG-JNB-LVI-JNB-HKG-JFK
JFK-HEL-VIE-MAD-IST-LHR-BKK-HKG-TPE-NRT-ICN-HKG-JFK
BOS-MAD-VIE-LHR-JFK-HKG-SGN-HKG-SIN-KUL-HKG-BOM-AMM-TEL-MAD-JFK-BOS
BOS-MAD-VIE-MAD-JFK-SCL-GYE-UIO-MIA-PHL-ORD-YYC-ORD-LGA-YUL-LGA-BOS
ORD-HKG-AKL-SYD-ADL-HKG-TPE-HKG-JFK-MAD-JNB-CPT-JNB-MAD-JFK-ORD
PHL-MIA-STI-MIA-JFK-LHR-OSL-HEL-VIE-AMM-DXB-HKG-TPE-HKG-JFK-BOS
JFK-HKG-FRA-TXL-BUD-HEL-ZRH-VIE-FCO-AMM-HKG-FOC-HKG-KHH-NRT-JFK
What an impressive list. I got to do one at least thank god:
CUN-LIM-EZE-AKL-SYD-BKK-HKG-DPS-HKG-PEK-KIX-PVG-NRT-DEL-AMM-MCT

Was hoping for one more in 2015 :-(
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I recommend everyone here email Suzanne Rubin @ [email protected] and also send a complaint in through AA.com, just as I am. No advanced notice of this change has completely screwed over many people and is unforgivable.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
What an impressive list. I got to do one at least thank god:
CUN-LIM-EZE-AKL-SYD-BKK-HKG-DPS-HKG-PEK-KIX-PVG-NRT-DEL-AMM-MCT

Was hoping for one more in 2015 :-(
Agree, that was an impressive list! Was hoping to be able to share something like that of my own some day. We only got one in back in 2010 .

DFW-LAX-HKG-KUL-SIN-DPS-CGK-SYD-CNS-SYD-AKL-LAX-DFW

Seriously, let AA know directly that you are completely furious about the changes with no notice.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gentlemen and gentlewomen,

Personal attacks are not allowed on FlyerTalk, and statements that could be considered inflammatory, slanderous, defamatory or overly opprobrious are disruptive and not at all acceptable on FlyerTalk.

Such posts will be summarily deleted, and continued posting in this vein will result in disciplinary practices provided by the Rules.

Tank you for your understanding.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting Link to this Rule

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed. (in part)
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Thanks for answering. I actually thought AA would just increase miles required for redeeming this awards. Who would have thought that it was completely gutted. I read somewhere that AA eliminated OW Explorer award was because not many actually redeemed this type of award. This could well be true. I used to get agents telling me that they had not seen routing or awards like this.

This type of award were not easy to pull together. Had I not benefited from FT knowledge, I would have gone nowhere.

Is there any other similar award among other OW carriers?
Yes, with JAL. Up to 8 segments, up to 7 stopovers, no silly routing rules like with AA (any route you want, you just pay on the total distance) and costs less miles than AA ever was. Also a more customer friendly cancel and change policy, with low redeposit fees and no change fees (for allowed changes). However, YQ are steep and usually in four figures per ticket.

Still though, I don't get it why all the drama here about then loss of this AA product. One can easily switch ow flight mines miles crediting from AA to JMB, transfer SPG points or what not into it and just use the JL oneworld awards, which are a far better product than AA ow Explorer ever was. Just yes, those YQ fees will sting.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If AA was sincerely surprised at the backlash yesterday, why not reinstate Explorer awards for a week?
Perhaps they aren't at all surprised.

... why not reinstate Explorer awards for a week? Give folks a chance to book their dream trip.
This is exactly the reason they don't do it. They don't want a lot of people jumping on the award as it ends. They've already determined that the eliminated benefits are not in AA's best economic interest.

Oh right. This is about $$$.
The raison d'être of corporations, n'est ce pas? Clearly, this wasn't a consumer friendly move. What surprises me, though, is that so many of us are surprised. AA obviously did the calculations (they aren't dopes, after all) and determined that the economic benefit to the company exceeded the economic cost of any negative publicity/ill will which resulted. Nothing shocking here.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 10, 2014 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, with JAL. Up to 8 segments, up to 7 stopovers, no silly routing rules like with AA (any route you want, you just pay on the total distance) and costs less miles than AA ever was. Also a more customer friendly cancel and change policy, with low redeposit fees and no change fees (for allowed changes). However, YQ are steep and usually in four figures per ticket.

Still though, I don't get it why all the drama here about then loss of this AA product. One can easily switch ow flight mines miles crediting from AA to JMB, transfer SPG points or what not into it and just use the JL oneworld awards, which are a far better product than AA ow Explorer ever was. Just yes, those YQ fees will sting.
Have you tried to get those JAL awards issued in Brazil or with ticketed origination of OW flights in Brazil? Av. Paulista in São Paulo still have a JAL office that can book award tickets? Some AA customers want a replacement alternative and searching for it makes sense. I'm going to be using BA's program a bit more as a result of this AA OW Explorer award elimination -- not a perfect substitute but I can work it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you tried to get those JAL awards issued in Brazil or with ticketed origination of OW flights in Brazil? Av. Paulista in São Paulo still have a JAL office that can book award tickets? Some AA customers want a replacement alternative and searching for it makes sense. I'm going to be using BA's program a bit more as a result of this AA OW Explorer award elimination -- not a perfect substitute but I can work it.
Can you expand on plans to use BA to make up for the loss of AA One World Award? It was my understanding they don't have an equivalent, unless you're talking about just doing a bunch of one-ways and since there are shorter distances it may be within some range of the prices AA offered (compared to a bunch of AA one-ways now).

I imagine most people didn't use the full 16 segments for this award, but instead stopped maybe 4-6 places with maybe 8-10 segments. In order to do that now it will involve at least 2 long-haul one-ways with connections inbetween for your multi-city stops, but possibly 3-4 longhauls. More than 2 long-hauls alone will almost double the cost of the trip.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Can you expand on plans to use BA to make up for the loss of AA One World Award? It was my understanding they don't have an equivalent, unless you're talking about just doing a bunch of one-ways and since there are shorter distances it may be within some range of the prices AA offered (compared to a bunch of AA one-ways now).

I imagine most people didn't use the full 16 segments for this award, but instead stopped maybe 4-6 places with maybe 8-10 segments. In order to do that now it will involve at least 2 long-haul one-ways with connections inbetween for your multi-city stops, but possibly 3-4 longhauls. More than 2 long-hauls alone will almost double the cost of the trip.
Maybe something has changed but BA allows (allowed?) multiple stopovers, and they also offer a distance-based oneworld award.

There's a blogger who said all oneworld airlines offer something like Explorer, except AA. I don't know if that's accurate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...over-rule.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.