Advice for first time international travel with infant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home=ATL; AAdvantage Platinum & 1MM; SkyMiles Gold Medallion
Advice for first time international travel with infant

I have the following itinerary for two passengers in business class:

ATL-MIA-LIM-[SCL]-EZE-[MIA]-ATL

with stayovers in MIA, LIM, and EZE. The brackets are for mandatory connections only.

AA said the only segment with a bassinet is EZE-MIA. Bummer... Any advice on travelling internationally with infants is welcome!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are aware that a lap child will cost you 10% of the full J fare, aren't you? That's a lot of money.

My advice - buy the infant a cheap seat, upgrade it and put them in their infant seat and buckle it in - that's how I traveled with my twins when they were infants.

My apologies in advance if one of the two J seats is for your infant.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The two seats are for my wife and I. I was planning on putting our baby in the car seat on the floor since I requested bulkhead seats for all flights.

I am aware of the 10% for lap child. The total for that actually came up to $473, and not 10% of the J class fare. Not sure why...

So you say that purchasing a cheap seat and upgrading it would be better (or less expensive)? How do I do that? I'm not an expert on these things.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:24 pm

<Edited after finding additional information in another thread>

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:30 pm
R-

The other advantage of buying the cheap seat and upgrading it is that your child will start earning elite status and upgrades (stickers, miles and maybe even VIPOWs) for when they turn two and are required to have their own seat.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
I will make my usual point here - putting the infant at risk as well as the other PAX in the cabin is not worth saving a couple of bucks. Lap Infants rather than infants in seats are a disservice to the child and everyone on the plane. Spend the money or leave him/her home is my philosophy.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I did not know a lap child was risky. The airline did not mention anything about it. I will consider this seriously.

I ask again: how can I upgrade the child's cheap seat for an international flight?

Thanks! ;o)
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
Thanks. I did not know a lap child was risky. The airline did not mention anything about it. I will consider this seriously.

I ask again: how can I upgrade the child's cheap seat for an international flight?

Thanks! ;o)
</font>
Actually, your lap child fare is pretty reasonable compared to the cheap coach seat plus upgrade.

You can upgrade a cheap seat for 25k miles each way (subject to availability) for AA metal only. Don't know if you can upgrade non-AA metal.

AA metal can also be upgraded via a VIPOW (given to EXPs).

I never once carried either of my kids on laps - they always had their own seat, from their first flight (at about 3 months of age, including FC from ORD-SFO in sleeper seat 767-300). Plane tickets pale in comparison to all the other expenses in caring for children, so I say, spend the money and buy them a seat.

Have a nice trip.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
I will make my usual point here - putting the infant at risk as well as the other PAX in the cabin is not worth saving a couple of bucks. Lap Infants rather than infants in seats are a disservice to the child and everyone on the plane. Spend the money or leave him/her home is my philosophy.</font>

Wow! What a surprise comment from the ever arrogant B Watson. Perhaps he/she has to take the infant along, and can't afford, or does not have enough miles to buy and extra seat in C Class. I guess it would not matter to you, as you ONLY fly in F class so it should not bother you.

[This message has been edited by G- five (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. Pardon the ignorance, but what is AA metal? Is it slang for Plat and EX Plat? Sorry for not being fluent with the jargon.

I will call tonight to figure out about buying a "cheap" seat! Thanks!

Another question: do I get automatic access to all Admiral Clubs by showing business class boarding passes?

Is there a dictionary for all these terms (both AA and non-AA specific)???
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Yes, you are allowed Admirals Club access with your Business Class reservation. But make sure your infant does not make a racket, as B Watson may be in the Club and he may be annoyed
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:07 pm

AA metal is an actual AA plane, as opposed to an AA flight number on a One World partner.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
Thanks again. &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt; Pardon the ignorance, but what is AA metal? Is it slang for Plat and EX Plat? Sorry for not being fluent with the jargon.

I will call tonight to figure out about buying a "cheap" seat! Thanks! &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;

Another question: do I get automatic access to all Admiral Clubs by showing business class boarding passes?

Is there a dictionary for all these terms (both AA and non-AA specific)???
</font>
You are entitled to AC access if you are in J, but that doesn't mean they'll let you in - that's been a problem for many over the years.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

What am I saying? I only have the 180,000 AA miles for the two tickets. Without extra miles, is there another low cost solution for this? I guess I can always hope for an empty seat I can use for my child. No, that is such a stupid comment!

I'll just buy a business seat for my child, no other options available. Unless I build the whole trip in coach...

This is starting to suck!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What am I saying? I only have the 180,000 AA miles for the two tickets. Without extra miles, is there another low cost solution for this? I guess I can always hope for an empty seat I can use for my child. No, that is such a stupid comment!

I'll just buy a business seat for my child, no other options available. Unless I build the whole trip in coach...

This is starting to suck!
</font>
Things aren't that bad!!

Just buy three cheap coach seats and upgrade all three for 150k miles total. Availability may be tight, but if you ask real nice, maybe they'll find them for you. Still lots cheaper than a J seat.

This is one area where status comes in real handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.