AA gate agent sold my First seat (P) for an upgrade

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:49 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Isn't the proper procedure for the GA to downgrade the person that was upgraded into the OP's seat?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, now that we know that OP's inbound did not even arrive at its gate until T-13 ("arrive" means brakes locked"), it is physically impossible for OP to have been at the departure gate by T-15. Even presuming that it only took OP 5 minutes from the time the brakes locked, the jet bridge was connected, and he deplaned and walked to the next gate, that is still T-8.

The GA quite properly UG'd another pax into the seat for which OP misconnected. And, now that we know that the GA had 7 minutes to do that, it is hardly surprising that this ocurred.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The GA quite properly UG'd another pax into the seat for which OP misconnected. And, now that we know that the GA had 7 minutes to do that, it is hardly surprising that this ocurred.
Sigh, I have to agree... earlier statement retracted. (Though I stand by my assertion that domestic premium passenger handling (especially the treatment of -UP fares) is often poor.)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked at the fare structure on IND-PSP on ExpertFlyer with parameters that I think correspond to the OP's experience.

It looks pretty clear to me that the buy-up to first class (with the /WAUP designator) is $199 each way. And FWIW, it looks to be the same on just ORD-PSP.

But since OP did fly in FC on IND-ORD, we can pro-rate the buy-up by distance traveled:
IND-ORD 177 miles
ORD-PSP 1652 miles
Total 1829 miles

The longer segment is 90% of the total travel distance. Thus, I think it is reasonable for wallyflyer to demand that AA refund 90% of $199, or $179. To original form of payment.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I looked at the fare structure on IND-PSP on ExpertFlyer with parameters that I think correspond to the OP's experience.

It looks pretty clear to me that the buy-up to first class (with the /WAUP designator) is $199 each way. And FWIW, it looks to be the same on just ORD-PSP.

But since OP did fly in FC on IND-ORD, we can pro-rate the buy-up by distance traveled:
IND-ORD 177 miles
ORD-PSP 1652 miles
Total 1829 miles

The longer segment is 90% of the total travel distance. Thus, I think it is reasonable for wallyflyer to demand that AA refund 90% of $199, or $179. To original form of payment.
I don't think it is reasonable to demand any such thing - assuming you actually desire some form of compensation (and I think it's unlikely to be a refund), but YMMV.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
If it turns out that OP was at the gate prior to T-15, OP is entitled to a refund of the fare difference between the fare for the cabin paid and the cabin flown. If OP was on an -UP fare, that is $0. In that case, OP receives no compensation, but will likely receive the standard AA customer service gesture.
If this is the policy that a first-class passenger is not officially entitled to any compensation if he arrives more than 15 minutes before the departure, then AA should be shamed on this board and sued for fraud. Are you really telling us that AA can send a passenger to Y even if he was at the gate 1 hour before the departure, just because it was an UP fare?

Of course, it has little to do with the OP if he or she arrived to the gate less than 15 min before departure.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
From aa.com FAQ:

Q: I purchased an Instant Upgrade ticket and flew in Coach Class. Can I obtain a refund?
A: Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount.

Of course they seem to have stopped calling them "Instant Upgrade".
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
I've had GA make me wait until they are ready to close the door before giving me a paid passenger's no-show seat. This makes the most sense to me. Board the plane and hold back the potential upgrade or upgrade that passenger on the plane if a seat is available when the door is about to close.

To claim that my seat is gone if I'm not at the gate 15 minutes ahead of time is a bit absurd. There are many times I have leisurely walked to the gate from the Admirals club with little interest in pre-boarding. Additionally, I've run through airports to make a quick connection. The GA can see both of these scenarios and use some common sense. It's one thing to give away a paid seat if the passenger hasn't checked in, or the incoming flight is delayed an hour past departure. It's another to give away a seat simply b/c a passenger hasn't boarded 15 minutes before departure.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

There is a reason that flights close (I am not speaking about the physical door, but the flight) at T-10. There is paperwork to be done by the GA, confirmed by the FA's, given to the cockpit crew and dispatch, w&b calculated and so on.

If the GA knows that there will be other delays, e.g., ground, ATC and the like, there is no hurry. But, if the flight can actually push on or before schedule, holding seats is bad practice and disadvantages others.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I don't think it is reasonable to demand any such thing - assuming you actually desire some form of compensation (and I think it's unlikely to be a refund), but YMMV.
I think it's absolutely reasonable to demand exactly that. I paid $X in addition to the coach fare to fly FC and you made me fly coach. So give me the $X back. What is not reasonable about that?

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin.
So per this policy, AA would give a voucher for $165. It would be up to the OP if s/he wanted to expend the effort and potentially have to fight for the $179 in cash I mentioned upthread.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

And OP would presumably lose because the fare rules provide for a refund by voucher based on the $0.10 per mile formula.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:18 pm

If the OP checked in at origin airport and got both BP's then why didn't he/she just board the 2nd flight? Why talk to a GA unless the door was closed which it wasn't.

I have been on many connections that were tight and never lost my seat.

Seems a little fishy.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sdix
If the OP checked in at origin airport and got both BP's then why didn't he/she just board the 2nd flight? Why talk to a GA unless the door was closed which it wasn't.

I have been on many connections that were tight and never lost my seat.

Seems a little fishy.
He said his seat was already occupied by the person that was upgraded. So, I assume when he tried to use his BP the machine beeped and the GA gave him a new BP.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:39 pm

Did you write an email to them? It normally works better then a phone call
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Again I have boarded after 15 and seen other board later, in FC never a problem.

I do not check in, and I would not give up my BP it is a contract, and prof of purchase.

Sorry for your problems, it is the airlines problem they were late.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.