Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion about elite mileage bonus and status qualification

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Confusion about elite mileage bonus and status qualification

I am unclear on how the bonus miles for status add up and are counted for elite qualification, can anyone help clarify?

For example, on this flight:

02/20/14 AMERICAN AIRLINES 2463 F DFW LAX
Mileage: 1,235
Bonus: 1,853
Total: 3,088

It seems like the bonus is 50% for paid F, 100% for platinum. That makes sense, however on the elite status tracker it only seems to apply the base mileage towards the miles total, and the 150% amount for EQPs.

Does this seem right? It seems the bonus should count toward status from the site....

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
EQM only counts base miles, EQP has the bonus in it.

If you fly mainly paid J/F fares then you'll qualify based on EQP, otherwise it will be EQM earned on base miles.

You don't get to qualify on EQM faster by doing the occasional J/F paid flight, it is pretty much all or nothing with regards to EQP and premium fares.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by capitolm94
It seems the bonus should count toward status from the site....
If this is true, then a Platinum member can qualify EXP for just 40,000 BIS in J/F...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Note, though, that the EQP multiplier and the RDM bonus are not necessarily the same (e.g., Y fares earn 1.5 EQP but no bonus miles). The EQP system is confusing and completely parallel to miles, unlike with other airlines that give EQM bonuses for premium tickets.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T

If you fly mainly paid J/F fares then you'll qualify based on EQP, otherwise it will be EQM earned on base miles.

You don't get to qualify on EQM faster by doing the occasional J/F paid flight, it is pretty much all or nothing with regards to EQP and premium fares.
Thanks. The bonus is just the class of service/ fare class one (50%), correct? Then the platinum bonus is redeemable miles only?

I realize that would make qualifying too easy. I am thinking about shooting for EXP here (have a bunch of paid int'l J coming) and trying to figure out if I would make it.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:39 pm

I am unclear on how the bonus miles for status add up and are counted for elite qualification, can anyone help clarify?

For example, on this flight:

02/20/14 AMERICAN AIRLINES 2463 F DFW LAX
Mileage: 1,235
Bonus: 1,853
Total: 3,088

It seems like the bonus is 50% for paid F, 100% for platinum. That makes sense, however on the elite status tracker it only seems to apply the base mileage towards the miles total, and the 150% amount for EQPs.

Does this seem right? It seems the bonus should count toward status from the site....

Thanks!
For every class seats, you get 100% EQM. No matter if you have status or flying different class, you do NOT get extra EQM.

For EQP, it depends on the fare classes.. you'll get 50% only for "QSONG" fares, 100% for other Economy fares, and 150% for Y or B Economy fare or if you go with Business/First.

For RDM, if you have status, you'll get 25% or 100% bonus RDM depending if you're a Gold or Plat/ExPlat. If you fly business or first, you'll get 25% or 50% bonus on top of that respectively.

For status, you either qualify from EQM or EQP, most bonus miles are only RDM's, and that includes the bonus miles you get from having a status...
check AA website, its pretty self-explanatory IMO... https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp
Now if you're flying Oneworld, then its a totally different game..
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by keepssmile
If this is true, then a Platinum member can qualify EXP for just 40,000 BIS in J/F...
Not quite, doesn't matter what elite tier you are. If you fly paid full Y, J or F you earn 150% EQPs, so the least amount of flying you'd need for ExecPlat is 67.5K BIS miles to take advantage of the 50% COS bonus for another 33.7K EQPs, and a total of 101.2K EQPs.

The elite tier bonuses have nothing to do with earning elite, these are just redeemable miles.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not quite, doesn't matter what elite tier you are. If you fly paid full Y, J or F you earn 150% EQPs, so the least amount of flying you'd need for ExecPlat is 67.5K BIS miles to take advantage of the 50% COS bonus for another 33.7K EQPs, and a total of 101.2K EQPs.

The elite tier bonuses have nothing to do with earning elite, these are just redeemable miles.
I think Keepssmile was refering to what the OP was implying. That is if bonus miles were included towards status (as EQM), then a platinum member needs to only fly 40,000BIS miles... 40,000 +100% bonus miles = 80,000 +50% bonus class miles = 100,000total... Which is not true of course...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by AAnerd
I think Keepssmile was refering to what the OP was implying. That is if bonus miles were included towards status (as EQM), then a platinum member needs to only fly 40,000BIS miles... 40,000 +100% bonus miles = 80,000 +50% bonus class miles = 100,000total... Which is not true of course...
Sure, but with both UA and US, class-of-service bonuses (not elite bonuses) are just added to EQMs. Under these systems, you might be able to qualify for top-tier by flying only 66.7K BIS miles if they were all sufficiently expensive. That particular scenario is true for AA as well, and you could qualify on only 66.7K BIS miles flying all B fares. The important distinction is that if you flew a mix of deep discount and premium fares, you'd qualify a lot faster in a UA/US system than you would under AAdvantage.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAnerd
Now if you're flying Oneworld, then its a totally different game..
Got it- makes sense now.

What is the deal on EQPs when flying oneworld (e.g. BA)? Same as on AA?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Got it- makes sense now.

Depends on the specific fare and the particular OneWorld partner. You can find details for each airline here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Got it- makes sense now.

Well for the most part, if you are one of those first class flyer 100% time, you probably will get the same 150% EQP with all airlines (or almost all, I only flew BA, Cathay & JAL so I have not check each individual airline) that is part of Oneworld so you should not worry at all . Things changes when you fly economy, depending on the fare class.. SFOPhd gave a link, go on there for the details for each airline.. As a thumb of rule for me, I would double check on that link if you flying Oneworld, even if I'm flying first class..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.