Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Almost ready to quit AA [denied change on restricted fare]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, but the airline industry is a unique one IMO, probably for reasons too numerous to go into. But even putting that aside, it really just comes down to competition. The more competition there is, the more "things" a company will do to keep your business. We all know what's happened to competition in the domestic airline business over the last decade, and now we pay. Prices are higher, loyalty benefits are diminished and waivers are more difficult to come by. Personally, I blame the last two administrations.
Indeed. The industry is moving towards significantly less competition (each merger has produced the world's largest airline -- currently US/AA will repeat this). Without competition or regulation, the environment becomes quite customer hostile: higher prices, inferior product, and ultimately fewer scheduled flights/seats.

I personally don't long for a return of the days of the CAB, but there isn't a single non-regional airline started post-deregulation and by 2000 still in business, unless one counts US Airways (which is essentially America West), and the husk of whatever's left from Midwest Express inside the Republic Airways system. 2 airlines out of 52 started after deregulation before 2000.

Since then, we've got what... jetBlue and Virgin America?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshua
Indeed. The industry is moving towards significantly less competition (each merger has produced the world's largest airline -- currently US/AA will repeat this). Without competition or regulation, the environment becomes quite customer hostile: higher prices, inferior product, and ultimately fewer scheduled flights/seats.

I personally don't long for a return of the days of the CAB, but there isn't a single non-regional airline started post-deregulation and by 2000 still in business, unless one counts US Airways (which is essentially America West), and the husk of whatever's left from Midwest Express inside the Republic Airways system. 2 airlines out of 52 started after deregulation before 2000.

Since then, we've got what... jetBlue and Virgin America?
In the "old" days (1960-1978), there were few (if any) bankruptcies, ticket prices were pretty much the same for a given route--airlines competed with amenities. But, fuel was much cheaper then, gas for my car was less than $0.30/gal (today $3.65)...so under CAB, the "old" model which worked then probably wouldn't today.
Southwest seems to be the only one making money(?) [Why does their model work?]
Maybe a new "model" for the airline industry is needed.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
How horribly disappointing by AA, and the community. My father-in-law recently passed away. This was in SLC, so Delta (where I have Dirt status) was the way to go. First, they have a bereavement fare where the fare is actually the same as the restricted coach, but they waive return restrictions. Then, I simply booked the wrong date on the outbound. Simple screw-up.

With no muss, no fuss, they cheerfully waived the change fee...as if it were a matter of course. I paid the fare difference, of course, but no change fee.

Such an obvious and simple act. Not really surprised by the "oh well, you knew the rules. Sorry that someone died, but AA shouldn't care about that" attitude, unfortunately.

Cheers.
I totally agree. A community without virtues like kindness and mercy and understanding might as well be troll villages.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Saying "I'm disappointed they did not bend their usual rules for my special situation, but will still fly AA" is OK.

Saying "I have quit flying AA because they did not bend their usual rules for my special situation" is OK.

Saying "I am threatening to quit unless AA bends their usual rules for my special situation" is not OK.
Could you show me that in the T&Cs?

I'm pretty sure it is OK for anyone to say any of those things.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by IcHot
Could you show me that in the T&Cs?

I'm pretty sure it is OK for anyone to say any of those things.
It is my personal dislike of threats.

If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.