Any recourse for 762 swapped for A321T?

Old Mar 9, 14, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Any recourse for 762 swapped for A321T?

I had an F ticket booked on the A321T and they substituted it for an old 762 at the last minute. The agent told me they've been doing this a lot lately because the A321T's are being delivered more slowly than planned.

As I played around with the 3D demo of the A321T at the terminal, I couldn't help but get frustrated that I wouldn't get to experience it. I know AA got me from Point A to Point B, but I booked the ticket specifically to try out the A321T. Do you think there is any recourse or compensation?
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Only if AA takes pity on you. Call and tell them what you want.
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You might get something as a good will gesture, but AA can change equipment and reserves the right to do so. I would think you might have more luck since it's the new plane and you could say how excited you were to fly it.
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll most likely get a few thousand AAdvantage miles in your account, but only if you complain about it as Austinrunner suggests.
Old Mar 9, 14, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by mmjaysee View Post
I had an F ticket booked on the A321T and they substituted it for an old 762 at the last minute. The agent told me they've been doing this a lot lately because the A321T's are being delivered more slowly than planned.

As I played around with the 3D demo of the A321T at the terminal, I couldn't help but get frustrated that I wouldn't get to experience it. I know AA got me from Point A to Point B, but I booked the ticket specifically to try out the A321T. Do you think there is any recourse or compensation?
They might toss you a few thousand miles if you had paid for F.
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
Old Mar 9, 14, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Hilton Gold
The answer is always no until you ask
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
And that is exactly what the OP should ask for in fair compensation.
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

which is zero given that AA doesn't quote its fares based on type of aeroplane from what I can see
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
which is zero given that AA doesn't quote its fares based on type of aeroplane from what I can see
But it can certainly manage inventory buckets and yield up the fares on a certain type of equipment.
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
But it can certainly manage inventory buckets and yield up the fares on a certain type of equipment.
Still wouldn't provide for any refund on the fare though . Looking at the fares on offer from LAX-JFK, there are 1st class fares for travel on 3 class services and others for those that are not

Also, checking on EF, from what I can see , all the 1st fares for travel on 3 class aeroplanes are in F , so no inventory variation that I can see

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 10, 14 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
checking on EF, from what I can see , all the 1st fares for travel on 3 class aeroplanes are in F , so no inventory variation that I can see
You're missing ijgordon's point, but it's not worth what would doubtless become a protracted debate trying to clarify.
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
You're missing ijgordon's point, but it's not worth what would doubtless become a protracted debate trying to clarify.
If the only 1st class fare bucket on a 3 class aeroplane is F , there is little in inventory control. The F fares I see are all refundable and so can always cancel without penalty if not interested in F on the 762

The number of seats in first on a 762 is 10 and the number on the 321 is also 10
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:59 am

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Hey, I had JFK/LAX downgraded from a 762 to 757 ... twice ... and once had OGG/LAX downgraded from a 763 to 757 after paying serious $$ to be in decent F for a redeye. No compensation, just how it goes. I had pretty bad karma on AA in 2013 it seems.

But remember "The legend is back", right on the AA home page, talking about the 321T experience on JFK/LAX. Except, I guess, when it isn't. Perhaps that is why it is called a "legend".

Is there any other consumer purchase that can advertise a set of features, but only sometimes give it to you, say in the fine print (of the ticket, not the ad) that the specific features aren't part of the deal in spite of the ad, and it isn't considered deceptive & misleading?

Last edited by andyr; Mar 10, 14 at 3:08 am Reason: Swapped 762 & 763 by mistake
Old Mar 10, 14, 3:08 am
Suspended

Sure. A restaurant that advertises a particular menu item but runs out of it without advance notice.
Old Mar 10, 14, 3:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If the only 1st class fare bucket on a 3 class aeroplane is F , there is little in inventory control. The F fares I see are all refundable and so can always cancel without penalty if not interested in F on the 762

The number of seats in first on a 762 is 10 and the number on the 321 is also 10
These flights are all loaded with the same inventory buckets as always: A, F and P. Obviously the fare this person booked isn't currently published or you'd see one for less than $500.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: