Any recourse for 762 swapped for A321T?

 
Old Mar 9, 14, 9:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Posts: 774
Any recourse for 762 swapped for A321T?

I had an F ticket booked on the A321T and they substituted it for an old 762 at the last minute. The agent told me they've been doing this a lot lately because the A321T's are being delivered more slowly than planned.

As I played around with the 3D demo of the A321T at the terminal, I couldn't help but get frustrated that I wouldn't get to experience it. I know AA got me from Point A to Point B, but I booked the ticket specifically to try out the A321T. Do you think there is any recourse or compensation?
mmjaysee is offline  
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:07 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,861
Only if AA takes pity on you. Call and tell them what you want.
Austinrunner is offline  
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:37 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,887
You might get something as a good will gesture, but AA can change equipment and reserves the right to do so. I would think you might have more luck since it's the new plane and you could say how excited you were to fly it.
PainCorp is offline  
Old Mar 9, 14, 10:58 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 12,097
You'll most likely get a few thousand AAdvantage miles in your account, but only if you complain about it as Austinrunner suggests.
hillrider is offline  
Old Mar 9, 14, 11:30 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,018
Originally Posted by mmjaysee View Post
I had an F ticket booked on the A321T and they substituted it for an old 762 at the last minute. The agent told me they've been doing this a lot lately because the A321T's are being delivered more slowly than planned.

As I played around with the 3D demo of the A321T at the terminal, I couldn't help but get frustrated that I wouldn't get to experience it. I know AA got me from Point A to Point B, but I booked the ticket specifically to try out the A321T. Do you think there is any recourse or compensation?
They might toss you a few thousand miles if you had paid for F.
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
mvoight is offline  
Old Mar 9, 14, 11:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 43
The answer is always no until you ask
AATravelGuy is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:01 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,349
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
And that is exactly what the OP should ask for in fair compensation.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:05 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,190
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
They might toss you a few thousand miles if you had paid for F.
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
which is zero given that AA doesn't quote its fares based on type of aeroplane from what I can see
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 1:26 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,133
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
They might toss you a few thousand miles if you had paid for F.
Of course, you are also entitled to the price difference between F on the A321 and F on the 762
which is zero given that AA doesn't quote its fares based on type of aeroplane from what I can see
But it can certainly manage inventory buckets and yield up the fares on a certain type of equipment.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:00 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,190
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
But it can certainly manage inventory buckets and yield up the fares on a certain type of equipment.
Still wouldn't provide for any refund on the fare though . Looking at the fares on offer from LAX-JFK, there are 1st class fares for travel on 3 class services and others for those that are not

Also, checking on EF, from what I can see , all the 1st fares for travel on 3 class aeroplanes are in F , so no inventory variation that I can see

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 10, 14 at 2:13 am
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:43 am
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts: 9,139
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
checking on EF, from what I can see , all the 1st fares for travel on 3 class aeroplanes are in F , so no inventory variation that I can see
You're missing ijgordon's point, but it's not worth what would doubtless become a protracted debate trying to clarify.
Microwave is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:56 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,190
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
You're missing ijgordon's point, but it's not worth what would doubtless become a protracted debate trying to clarify.
If the only 1st class fare bucket on a 3 class aeroplane is F , there is little in inventory control. The F fares I see are all refundable and so can always cancel without penalty if not interested in F on the 762

The number of seats in first on a 762 is 10 and the number on the 321 is also 10
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 2:59 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: BOS
Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 325
Hey, I had JFK/LAX downgraded from a 762 to 757 ... twice ... and once had OGG/LAX downgraded from a 763 to 757 after paying serious $$ to be in decent F for a redeye. No compensation, just how it goes. I had pretty bad karma on AA in 2013 it seems.

But remember "The legend is back", right on the AA home page, talking about the 321T experience on JFK/LAX. Except, I guess, when it isn't. Perhaps that is why it is called a "legend".

Is there any other consumer purchase that can advertise a set of features, but only sometimes give it to you, say in the fine print (of the ticket, not the ad) that the specific features aren't part of the deal in spite of the ad, and it isn't considered deceptive & misleading?

Last edited by andyr; Mar 10, 14 at 3:08 am Reason: Swapped 762 & 763 by mistake
andyr is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 3:08 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,861
Sure. A restaurant that advertises a particular menu item but runs out of it without advance notice.
Austinrunner is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 3:12 am
  #15  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts: 9,139
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If the only 1st class fare bucket on a 3 class aeroplane is F , there is little in inventory control. The F fares I see are all refundable and so can always cancel without penalty if not interested in F on the 762

The number of seats in first on a 762 is 10 and the number on the 321 is also 10
These flights are all loaded with the same inventory buckets as always: A, F and P. Obviously the fare this person booked isn't currently published or you'd see one for less than $500.
Microwave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: