Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on luggage [how strict are AA?]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by camachinist
I boarded behind a not in uniform military guy (saw the ID on the backpack) yesterday who had a full-sized garment bag (double fold) and a large backpack; he asked the FA if he could place the garment bag in the closet by the door (MD80) and was accommodated. Apparently, he made it with those bags all the way to the aircraft at that airport (RDU). The backpack might have fit under the seat but it appeared a lot thicker than 9".

I noted, on all flights in the last week I was on, that 'free' gate-check was announced by the GA's. I also did not note any rejected carry-ons, except one on a USX SkyWest CR9, where the bag wouldn't fit the OH. Overall, very smooth carryon handling and this on full flights on narrowbody AC (738/MD80).
He can have my space if he is active military. People who take bullets for me achieve higher FF status. I did my tour in the 60s, but that privilege doesn't carry forward nor should it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
He can have my space if he is active military. People who take bullets for me achieve higher FF status.
Here, too. I serve with the Army in Korea (as a civilian); with the deployment rotations today, they deserve a little extra consideration.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by relangford
You should plan on gate checking, some American Eagle flights have small aircraft.
Are there any American Eagle flights where full sized carry-ons are allowed??
I thought that NONE of the regional jets had large enough bins to even fit a 20" rollerboard.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Are there any American Eagle flights where full sized carry-ons are allowed??
I thought that NONE of the regional jets had large enough bins to even fit a 20" rollerboard.
Looks like on the E175 they have space in first for rollaboards: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourP...embraer175.jsp
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by norf9
Looks like on the E175 they have space in first for rollaboards: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourP...embraer175.jsp
Based on that it does appear they have the space but the response I received from AA CS says no can do.

"When traveling on American Eagle, all larger carry-on bags (roll aboard bags, duffle bags, large backpacks, etc.) must be valet checked at the gate and placed in the cargo compartment."

Also see this comment from CS' response:

"While this policy has been in place for some time, we have recently renewed our focus on its enforcement."
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:31 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
The E175s can handle normal roll aboards in F and Y on the right side of the plane. There is no valet check on the E175s. At least to/from ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.