Upgrading domestic ticket with miles for general member

Old Mar 6, 14, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Upgrading domestic ticket with miles for general member

Hi All,
I've got 242k miles burning in my AA Account and i'd like to use them. I've got a ticket booked by my travel office upcoming booked into L class. It's a return from deployment ticket so i'd like to upgrade it with the 15k miles + $75 copay...the only issue is the ticket is on hold until 5 days prior to travel then they confirm the eticket....is there any way to do this upgrade with those constraints? The flight is on the 28th of this month, so I'd like to call in and attempt to upgrade it prior to the $75 for within 21 days window...
Old Mar 6, 14, 6:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As American Airlines and AAdvantage are still operating as distinct entities, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 6, 14, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by apolloms View Post
Hi All,
I've got 242k miles burning in my AA Account and i'd like to use them. I've got a ticket booked by my travel office upcoming booked into L class. It's a return from deployment ticket so i'd like to upgrade it with the 15k miles + $75 copay...the only issue is the ticket is on hold until 5 days prior to travel then they confirm the eticket....is there any way to do this upgrade with those constraints? The flight is on the 28th of this month, so I'd like to call in and attempt to upgrade it prior to the $75 for within 21 days window...
Call and find out. I've been able to do mileage + copay upgrades for tickets that were "purchased" but not fully ticketed before, in cases where I purchased the ticket partly with a mail in voucher and the voucher was still enroute to the processing center. This sounds a little different, but worst case scenario you'll be no worse off than you are now.
Old Mar 6, 14, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

no dice, they cant apply it until it has actually been ticketed which won't be until 5 days out so it would be 15,000 miles + $150.
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
no dice, they cant apply it until it has actually been ticketed which won't be until 5 days out so it would be 15,000 miles + $150.
You can determine (or ask) if the required fare class inventory is available for that (or another possibility for you) flight and tell the agent to purchase it and upgrade you. lobo411 said it must be purchased but does not have to be ticketed - those are terms explained more clearly in the thread entitled Is "Ticket Pending" new term by AA after on-line purchase? (previously "Purchased"). Be sure to read the wikipost at the beginning.

And if you are returning from one of "those places", welcome back to "the world". Always good to be FIGMO.
Old Mar 6, 14, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no dice, they cant apply it until it has actually been ticketed
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I've had a rez on hold, then had a friend apply an SWU, and then, I called and had the ticket issued.
Old Mar 7, 14, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've had no problems processing an upgrade while it is on hold, but I have had AAgents say they can't do it once it has been purchased but not yet ticketed.
Old Mar 7, 14, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I've had a rez on hold, then had a friend apply an SWU, and then, I called and had the ticket issued.
I have gotten an SWU upgrade confirmed before I purchased a ticket.
I put it on hold, called to apply the SWU. The upgrade was wait listed.
Later that day, it cleared. After I saw it cleared, I purchased the ticket.
Old Mar 7, 14, 7:14 am
Original Poster

i think the way they 'purchase' the ticket is put it on hold..then 5 days out apply the payment for the purchase/ticketed...the status on AA.com says 'unknown'
Old Mar 7, 14, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I've had no problems processing an upgrade while it is on hold, but I have had AAgents say they can't do it once it has been purchased but not yet ticketed.
That makes sense - when it's in the ticketing queue they probably don't want to mess with it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: