AA Baggage Fees for former-Plat

Old Mar 5, 14, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
AA Baggage Fees for former-Plat

Hello --

You think I'd know the answer by now, but I am just downgraded to "plain" Aadvantage from a few years of being a normal Platinum. Bought 3 pairs of tickets for vacation next week. Looked on my reservation for 'Baggage Fees' and it shows each person can bring 2 checked bags for free (and 2 carry-ons). This is for a Coach ticket purchased when I was still a Plat. Because I am going with 3 people, we are all planning on checking baggage.

Is this an error? I tried reading the terms and the best I can get out of it is there are still baggage fees, but the terms seems confusing and contradictory when I pull up the reservation and it says no Baggage Fees up to two bags. Ive paid bag fees when I was making my way to Plat a few years back on those trips.

As I contemplate buying the Plat (or Gold) AAdvantage unqualifying extension in order to cover bags (for future trips in the year too). But, wanted to ask if anyone thinks there is baggage fees for this one trip to JFK (despite what the website reservation says??) THANKS SO MUCH!
Old Mar 5, 14, 7:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 5, 14, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan View Post
Hello --

You think I'd know the answer by now, but I am just downgraded to "plain" Aadvantage from a few years of being a normal Platinum. Bought 3 pairs of tickets for vacation next week. Looked on my reservation for 'Baggage Fees' and it shows each person can bring 2 checked bags for free (and 2 carry-ons). This is for a Coach ticket purchased when I was still a Plat. Because I am going with 3 people, we are all planning on checking baggage.

Is this an error? I tried reading the terms and the best I can get out of it is there are still baggage fees, but the terms seems confusing and contradictory when I pull up the reservation and it says no Baggage Fees up to two bags. Ive paid bag fees when I was making my way to Plat a few years back on those trips.

As I contemplate buying the Plat (or Gold) AAdvantage unqualifying extension in order to cover bags (for future trips in the year too). But, wanted to ask if anyone thinks there is baggage fees for this one trip to JFK (despite what the website reservation says??) THANKS SO MUCH!
Every year there are reports of lag times where the former status stays attached to a reservation and it appears to have happened to you. If the flight is fairly soon - and you don't have any changes in the reservation - you may well get lucky and not have to pay. However, since you no longer have status, then you should not be surprised if - at the airport - you are asked to pay the fees.

The question is: do you feel lucky?
Old Mar 5, 14, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks bdemaria --

I was not aware of this. This is why I am contemplating buying the 'boost' to retain status. Given travel for the next year, the luggage is one of my favorite perks for Gold/Plat. THANKS!
Old Mar 5, 14, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta, Amtrak
If all you care about is the free luggage, the AA Citi credit card annual fee is a whole lot less than the buyback and gets you one free bag per person.
Old Mar 5, 14, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer View Post
If all you care about is the free luggage, the AA Citi credit card annual fee is a whole lot less than the buyback and gets you one free bag per person.
Note the baggage waiver only applies to domestic itineraries so if the OP is planning any international travel the cc waiver won't help him there.
Old Mar 5, 14, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Note the baggage waiver only applies to domestic itineraries so if the OP is planning any international travel the cc waiver won't help him there.
That is true, but everyone gets one or in some cases two free bags internationally anyway so it is not needed ...
Old Mar 5, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan View Post
Thanks bdemaria --

I was not aware of this. This is why I am contemplating buying the 'boost' to retain status. Given travel for the next year, the luggage is one of my favorite perks for Gold/Plat. THANKS!
I'm contemplating boost to keep my plat status as well this year. I just cant get myself to do it. I wanted to give UA a shot and matched to premier gold last year/this year. It's only March and i'm ready to turn back.

Trying to decide if this LA based flyer needs (wants) the perks of plat for that price, or waits until next year to re qualify
Old Mar 5, 14, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbmatt View Post
I'm contemplating boost to keep my plat status as well this year. I just cant get myself to do it. I wanted to give UA a shot and matched to premier gold last year/this year. It's only March and i'm ready to turn back.

Trying to decide if this LA based flyer needs (wants) the perks of plat for that price, or waits until next year to re qualify
Yeah, the "boost" thing is weighing on me too. It would be helpful for upcoming travel (personal and business), but not sure if it is worth the total price tag.
Old Mar 5, 14, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Titanium
Since you have a confirmation email that says 2 free bags, you could always bring it with you and play dumb and say "it says 2 free right here" and see what happens if they try to charge you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: