Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Wiki + Updated: MCE free for Golds thru Mar 17, 2014 (w/ purchase details thereafter)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Updated details from AA.com:

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum members and their oneworld equivalents, as well as Dividend Miles Preferred members* and customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats. This benefit is also extended to our AAdvantage Gold members through March 17, 2014.

We know extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so starting March 18, 2014, we are pleased to offer AAdvantage Gold and oneworld Ruby members, as well as Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:

Purchase Main Cabin Extra for 50% off
Enjoy complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of departure (if seats are available)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
3/18/2014 Confirmed: MCE charge for Golds

3/25/2014 MCE seems to again be free for Golds. This will probably change again, soon.

3/29/2014
This benefit was offered to Gold status members to celebrate the launch of our new seating product and was set to expire on December 31, 2013. We have good news — we've extended it through February 28, 2014!
AA.com web page changed to original 2/28/2014 expiry, however MCE still priced at $0 for Golds.
Print Wikipost

Wiki + Updated: MCE free for Golds thru Mar 17, 2014 (w/ purchase details thereafter)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

I checked some existing reservations, made last month, to see how much they would charge for my MCE seats. $0.

I tried a couple of dummy bookings for new reservations, and saw the same thing. $0 for MCE. I am LT Gold.

I thought all this was supposed to change in March, 2014. Apparently not.

Any insight?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The fact that the reservations made earlier still have MCE at no charge is consistent w/the stated policy:

Q: If I've already reserved a Main Cabin Extra seat for a flight on or after March 1, 2014, will it still be complimentary?
A: Yes, the policy change takes effect for Main Cabin Extra seats reserved on or after March 1, 2014, regardless of the travel date
As for the ability to book today and still not be charged. I suspect it might be a lag in system updating and if you try again in a couple of days, you will not be able to reserve MCE free of charge.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:58 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by bdemaria
if you try again in a couple of days, you will not be able to reserve MCE free of charge.
I think we can bet on this.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The fact that the reservations made earlier still have MCE at no charge is consistent w/the stated policy:

As for the ability to book today and still not be charged. I suspect it might be a lag in system updating and if you try again in a couple of days, you will not be able to reserve MCE free of charge.
Me thinks this will get changed tomorrow morning...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctrees02
Me thinks this will get changed tomorrow morning...
Nope.

I tried a couple of dummy reservations today, March 3, and it still quoted $0 for MCE.

I already knew my existing reservations were OK. When I saw "$0" for MCE in the existing reservation, out of curiosity I made some dummy reservations just to see.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nice! Thanks for doing that and sharing. Some parts of a klugey. faulty IT system are beneficial to flyers... (Title adjusted a bit for that.)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Nice! Thanks for doing that and sharing. Some parts of a klugey. faulty IT system are beneficial to flyers... (Title adjusted a bit for that.)
Thanks for the title adjustment.

I'm going to keep an eye on this. I've had a feeling that this benefit would not be eliminated. It's hard to offer a benefit, then take it back.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:45 pm

Also, I tried to change the seat for some family member who's GLD and was able to seat them in MCE. So for now, AA.com is still unawares!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Also, I tried to change the seat for some family member who's GLD and was able to seat them in MCE. So for now, AA.com is still unawares!
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I assume AA hasn't announced any discounted pricing on MCE for Golds, or the ability to choose these seats for free at OLCI?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So I assume AA hasn't announced any discounted pricing on MCE for Golds, or the ability to choose these seats for free at OLCI?
I quote from the email I received 11/1/2013:

We hope you've had the opportunity to enjoy your complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra this year. This benefit was offered to AAdvantage® Gold status members to celebrate the launch of our new seating product and was set to expire on December 31, 2013. We have good news — we've extended it through February 28, 2014!

We know the extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so starting March 1, we are pleased to offer Gold status members two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:
• Receive a 50% discount when reserving a Main Cabin Extra seat in advance
• Enjoy complimentary Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of departure (if seats are available)
We hope you will continue to enjoy these comfortable seats, offering you up to six inches of extra legroom to stretch out and relax. And as always, you will continue to have complimentary access to standard legroom Preferred seats which are favorably located throughout the cabin.

Have questions regarding the Main Cabin Extra access policy?
As of today, March 4, 2014, I can still see "$0" for MCE when I do a dummy reservation. If other Golds are waiting to pull the trigger for a reservation, I suggest they consider doing it sooner rather than later and take advantage of this situation that allows advance reservation MCE at no charge.

I have no idea if this is a bug or just another planned, but unannounced, extension of the benefit to Golds, which originally was to expire 12/31/2013.

Now, if I could only get my new Aadvantage card with a 2/2015 expiration and see my 500-mile upgrade "stickers" in aa.com... Maybe when they fix those issues they will get around to fixing this MCE bug.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, thanks. Either (1) I missed that, (2) old age is creeping up and I just don't remember it, or (3) I never saw it because I was Plat through a couple days ago and now dropped down to Gold.

But gee, if I pay $1200 to renew my Platinum status I can avoid those MCE fees, even if they are discounted!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:35 am

Here's the definitive answer from AA.com:

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum members and their oneworld equivalents, as well as Dividend Miles Preferred members* and customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats. This benefit is also extended to our AAdvantage Gold members through March 17, 2014.

We know extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so starting March 18, 2014, we are pleased to offer AAdvantage Gold and oneworld Ruby members, as well as Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members^ two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:

Enjoy complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra within 24 hours of departure (if seats are available)
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Here's the definitive answer from AA.com:

We know extra legroom is important to you when traveling in the Main Cabin, so starting March 18, 2014, we are pleased to offer AAdvantage Gold and oneworld Ruby members, as well as Dividend Miles Silver Preferred members^ two ways to access Main Cabin Extra seats:

I did not see that, thanks. So, it's official.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Mar 6, 2014 at 11:08 am Reason: added url
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I did not see that, thanks. So, it's official.
It wasn't there earlier in the week.

I'm guessing that perhaps it's an IT issue that they need about two weeks to resolve? March 18 seems like an arbitrary date...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.