Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE:

The current thread can be found here: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE:,End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers

Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by larceny
I have X2,561 miles towards elite upgrades so I figured I would call to see if they would give me 1 or 2 extra stickers. I was told that my last flight carried me over the next 10,000 mile level and since I hadn't flown again after that flight, I was ineligible for more stickers (read: the last flight can not give you your 4 stickers as well as be a basis for 1 or 2 prorated stickers). I thanked her for her time and hung up. I called two more times and received the exact same answer. Am I wasting my time if I keep calling?
I had X3,772 in my 'miles toward elite upgrades account' before the odometer was reset. I was unaware of the zeroing out policy (of course, FT shed some light on it!) I called the PLT desk moments ago to plead for a sticker or 2 and received a polite, but firm "There's nothing we can do for you, sir". Ahh, had I known I would not have used 2 of my valuable stickers this weekend for my short LGA-ORD flight! This seems like a bum deal.....I would have been happy with one sticker!

Last edited by nyflyerboy; Mar 6, 2007 at 8:01 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nyflyerboy
I had X3,772 in my 'miles toward elite upgrades account' before the odometer was reset. I was unaware of the zeroing out policy (of course, FT shed some light on it!) I called the PLT desk moments ago to plead for a sticker or 2 and received a polite, but firm "There's nothing we can do for you, sir". Ahh, had I known I would not have used 2 of my valuable stickers this weekend for my short LGA-ORD flight! This seems like a bum deal.....I would have been happy with one sticker!
Not the Platinum desk. They really can't do anything for you, so your begging and groveling was for naught. Try AAdvantage Customer Service, as has been stated repeatedly in this thread. 1-800-421-0600.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by nyflyerboy
I had X4,019 miles towards elite upgrades and was able to get one sticker. At first I was told that there was nothing she could do as 5,000 miles was the minimum for two stickers. I asked if she could just give me one sticker and was put on hold briefly, when she came back she told me I would see the sticker in my account within 48 hours. I did call CS as opposed to the Platinum desk though.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by AABM
I had X4,019 miles towards elite upgrades and was able to get one sticker. At first I was told that there was nothing she could do as 5,000 miles was the minimum for two stickers. I asked if she could just give me one sticker and was put on hold briefly, when she came back she told me I would see the sticker in my account within 48 hours. I did call CS as opposed to the Platinum desk though.
i had 7,9xx miles an dwas given 2 stickers when i called the platinum desk. said they would be in the account immediately, but not yet. was hoping for 3 , but not sure if its worth calling into complain, seeing how I have not been on a flight where I've been able to use the stickers at all (most of my flight is between DFW and PHX), which a lot of EXP fly :P
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
55xx, got 2 comped.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Was 602 miles short of 4 stickers at the end of Feb. Just called Customer Service and was told that since I was so close, how about three stickers in my account. Thought I might get four, but three is better than none!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Partial credit for upgrade stickers as of 2/29/2008

As we all know, miles towards stickers resets to zero on 2/29. I really have never figured out why AA (and others) do this if you retain your current status for the year (in this case 2008) or higher. But at any rate, have others gotten partial stickers (less than the four awarded at 10K miles) for the miles accrued through the end of February by calling AA. I will have about 8,000 miles at the end of the month but no time to do a quick MR by 2/29 to get to the 10K mark.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I emailed customer services last year and got a credit of three stickers for having around 8500 miles credit at the 2/28 cut off, and my parter a credit of two for having just over 5000... so well worth dropping them a line.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:39 pm

I have 9,500 miles towards the upgrades but will be flying to London on 2/28. Those miles won't post till a few days into March. Anyone know if they will count them before or after the cutoff?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Update

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
I will be frequently traveling over the next two months between LGA and ORD. Due to previous flights throughout the year, I will approach the 20,000 mile mark which would enable me to get 4 more upgrade passes (I already received the first 4 when I surpassed 10,000 miles).

Unfortunately, I will come up to about 19,700 miles, just short of the magic 20,000 mile number.

In order to put me over, I had planned on standing by and doing a connection flight (via Columbus, Washington or Cleveland), getting 500 miles for each flight, thusly going over the 20,000 mile plateau.

The AA agent with whom I spoke on the phone said that the fares I have between LGA and ORD mandate that I take ONLY non-stops (if I go standby). Of course, what they say on the phone and what they do @ LGA are two very different things.

I know that if I call AA in March, they might give me 3 or even 4 stickers. Nice, but I would rather not make the request, if possible. I would rather grovel for more important requests.

What I DON’T want to do is yet another MR. Dining miles or anything else (I believe) will not qualify for the in-your-butt mileage the stickers require.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I completely forgot that I had posted this and ran across an 11-page discussion (which apparently was merged with someone else's similar posting).

I don't have the stamina to read through 11 pages worth of discussion but I know that sometimes people post and you never hear from them again. It may have taken me a year but I want to inform those who are interested as to what actually took place:

Even though the AA rules said that my flights between LGA and ORD had to be nonstop, a helpful GA @ ORD permitted me to fly ORD-STL-LGA and I was able to get my upgrade stickers legitimately (she, of course, thought the request was a tad bit unusual). ^

Moral of the story: The Gate Agents have LOTS of flexibility.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, thanks for that - it's good to know you earned, and received, your stickers, and you had a sympathetic GA.

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
<snip> Even though the AA rules said that my flights between LGA and ORD had to be nonstop, a helpful GA @ ORD permitted me to fly ORD-STL-LGA and I was able to get my upgrade stickers legitimately (she, of course, thought the request was a tad bit unusual). ^

Moral of the story: The Gate Agents have LOTS of flexibility.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by onemoreokie
I have 9,500 miles towards the upgrades but will be flying to London on 2/28. Those miles won't post till a few days into March. Anyone know if they will count them before or after the cutoff?
Before.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat (1MM)/HH Dia/DL Sil/SPG Gld/HERTZ 5*/MR Sil
The number for AAdvantage Customer Service has changed to 1-800-882-8880, be sure to ask for AAdvantage Services......

I am just 113 miles short of the next 10k level. The agent gave me 2 500 mile upgrades. Beggers can't be choosers.....

Last edited by Dudesdad; Feb 21, 2008 at 11:11 am
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold
what email

address did you use for customer service?

Thanks...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:53 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by Dudesdad
I am just 113 miles short of the next 10k level. The agent gave me 2 500 mile upgrades. Baggers can't be choosers.....
That's messed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.