AA DFW-ICN business class seat question

Old Feb 21, 14, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I've never flown AA in business class, and I'm considering buying a business class ticket for DFW-ICN round trip.
I was hoping I could get some help for my questions.
I noticed the aircraft type is a 772, which I think has the old business class seats.
How would you rate these seats?
Do they go fully flat horizontally (I fear not), and how comfortable are they for sleeping? (I hope to manage 4-5 hours of sleep at least)
Is it difficult to cross over your neighbor if you're in a window seat?
Also, what lounge can I access at ICN with an AA business class ticket?

Thanks a lot in advance-

Last edited by agjil; Feb 21, 14 at 1:11 am
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:57 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil View Post
Hello,

I've never flown AA in business class, and I'm considering buying a business class ticket for DFW-ICN round trip.
I noticed the aircraft type is a 772, which I think has the old business class seats.
Do they go fully flat horizontally (I fear not), and how comfortable are they for sleeping? (I hope to manage 4-5 hours of sleep at least)

Thanks a lot in advance-

772 is definitely the old generation angle lie-flat seats. I find them okay but took a lot of time to readjust after switching from sUA's lie-flat seat. I have found they are best for sleeping if you don't go into full "bed" mode as I tend to slide down the seat.

As for crossing over your neighbor while in bed mode, yes it can be a challenge!
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:57 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oddly enough, you get an invitation to the Asiana lounge in ICN. There is a CX lounge but it's not open at a time that's convenient for the DFW flight on AA.

Yes, old generation seat. I'm 6'2 so have never had an issue climbing over a neighbor, but YMMV.
Old Feb 21, 14, 4:03 am

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by scnzzz View Post
Oddly enough, you get an invitation to the Asiana lounge in ICN.
Yes, it's the OZ lounge in the remote terminal. It is used as a contract lounge for AA, BA and others and it's much nicer than the KE lounge in the remote terminal. (Heck, even the MU lounge at ICN is nicer that KE.) I've not been in the CX lounge there, so can't compare.
Old Feb 21, 14, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by agjil View Post
Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance-
I took this flight last year when they first started it. I bought a coach seat and got a battlefield upgrade because it was a full flight. If I remember, they had one of their new 773's on this flight but maybe because it was a new route and they may have been trying to put their best foot forward. It was a nice flight, especially since I was expecting to fly in coach. I got the upgrade on the way home too, and at the time I was just a gold, not ExP like I am now.

randidliyo
Old Feb 21, 14, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
Yes, it's the OZ lounge in the remote terminal. It is used as a contract lounge for AA, BA and others and it's much nicer than the KE lounge in the remote terminal. (Heck, even the MU lounge at ICN is nicer that KE.) I've not been in the CX lounge there, so can't compare.
OZ lounge is also a Priority Pass lounge. I've used every lounge on the ICN concourse other than MU and the new SQ (did use the old JL before that closed and was taken over by SQ). I'd prefer the OZ J to the CX J in this particular instance (and I used them back to back on the same day), felt the food was better, it felt larger and I personally prefer the design and colors of the OZ lounge to the CX lounge. But the CX lounge is a good lounge as well at ICN, and I would have been happy with just the CX lounge as well.
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Ok, I'll throw this question in as I have a couple of these trips expected over the next few months.

AA has some pretty good C prices to ICN. Some of them are codeshares on JL. I've never been a huge fan of JL, though that experience is on domestic flights in Japan. Who has the better seat and service for TPACs - AA or JL?

Unfortunately, I highly doubt CX will be an option for me.

I've also heard JL cranks up the heat on their flights due to eastern cultures preference for warmer temps. Has anyone found this to be the case on TPACs?

As far as the OZ lounge - which one do you get into if you're an Emerald - the C or F lounge? I can't say I found a huge difference in food offerings and stuff between the two, but the F lounge is a lot less busy.
Old Feb 21, 14, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
772 is definitely the old generation angle lie-flat seats. I find them okay but took a lot of time to readjust after switching from sUA's lie-flat seat. I have found they are best for sleeping if you don't go into full "bed" mode as I tend to slide down the seat.

As for crossing over your neighbor while in bed mode, yes it can be a challenge!
I would definitely classify them as "okay". The sliding doesn't bother me so much, but my wife was miserable coming back from our honeymoon doing an NRT-ORD flight. She got almost zero sleep, compared to the 8 hours she got on the lie-flat CX 773 a few weeks before (meaning she is capable of sleeping on flights). However, I can get a decent 5 hours of sleep in them no problem. So you can have both extremes - some people can sleep well, and other cannot sleep a wink. Unfortunately, it's hard to know which category you are in until you try to sleep!

I actually find the best sleeping position is to be in the full "bed" mode. Perhaps it's just the way I sleep, but I usually turn to one side and zone out fairly quickly if I am tired. Especially after a few glasses of wine or Glenlivet (RIP to the Glenlivet)
Old Feb 21, 14, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

If you're flying in JL's new Sky Suites in J, you won't be disappointed and the experience beats AA's 777-200 flights in every way. Hmmm, ok, they don't give individual amenity kits.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 21, 14, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer View Post
If you're flying in JL's new Sky Suites in J, you won't be disappointed and the experience beats AA's 777-200 flights in every way. Hmmm, ok, they don't give individual amenity kits.

Safe Travels
Which planes have them?

How long are the angled lie flats? I've only been on one flight with them - an NH 777. The leg/foot piece was really short. I'm only 5'10 and I either had to scrunch or let my feet hang off the edge. Neither was comfortable and I ended up not sleeping.
Old Feb 21, 14, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I not able to link the information right now, but head over to the JAL Milleage Bank forum and you'll find a ton of info on the seats, routes, etc....
Old Feb 21, 14, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by randidliyo View Post
If I remember, they had one of their new 773's on this flight but maybe because it was a new route and they may have been trying to put their best foot forward.
This flight has been 100% 772, not 77W to my knowledge. I watched it for a long time in the initial launch.
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist

For people sliding down, just in case you do not know, there are extendable footrests on the end of the seats that has to be manually set down. For me I find the fully flat mode with the foot rest the most comfortable, since it prevents me from slipping down.
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lovexylitol View Post
For people sliding down, just in case you do not know, there are extendable footrests on the end of the seats that has to be manually set down. For me I find the fully flat mode with the foot rest the most comfortable, since it prevents me from slipping down.
I was aware of the footrest, but I still don't prefer the fully flat mode. For sleeping, I prefer a position between the "2" and the "zzz" position. In that position, the seat resembles a fully reclined barcalounger, which I find quite comfortable.
Old Feb 21, 14, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
I was aware of the footrest, but I still don't prefer the fully flat mode. For sleeping, I prefer a position between the "2" and the "zzz" position. In that position, the seat resembles a fully reclined barcalounger, which I find quite comfortable.
Being a sleeper who likes to turn around, I need the fully flat, even if it's angled lie-flat. I tried other chair positions, but it always ends up feeling funny if not flat when I roll around.

I do play with the foot rest and bottom extender when sleeping, and do inevitably drop down, especially when I bend my knees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: