Taking XL dog crates on CR7 flight

Old Feb 19, 14, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Taking XL dog crates on CR7 flight

I'm taking a trip in March where I need to take a couple of empty extra large dog crates with me so that I can bring back a couple dogs. I called customer service to ask if the crates will fit in the cargo hold of the CR7, which is the first segment of the flight and they said probably not but they didn't sound very sure of themselves. Before we pay to have them sent postal, I want to get a more definitive answer, so here I am! Here are the details:

AA 3225, DCA - JFK (this is the CR7 flight in question, operated by American Eagle)
JFK - MAD
MAD - JFK

The crates will be the hard-plastic kind that break in half, top can fit upside down into the bottom half for storage and transport. Even so, I know they're pretty big. Anybody with knowledge of AA's CR7 cargo capacity who can answer?
Old Feb 19, 14, 3:04 pm

Programs: Various
This link might help, if you know the Kennel Number (?) Scroll to CRJ 700
https://www.aacargo.com/ship/aircraf...atibility.html

The Cargo Department has a phone line to discuss animal transport, maybe they can be of better assistance:
Animals

800-227-4622 English
Old Feb 19, 14, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM, HHonors DIA
Looks like the CR7 will hold an IATA #400, 300, 200, or 100 crate. The sizes of the larger crates are:
Size..........IATA..Crate Wt..Crate Size....................Pet Size
Large.........400....29 lbs...36"L by 25"W by 27"H.......32" long by 22" wide by 26" tall
Extra Large...500....39 lbs...40"L by 28"W by 30"H.......36" long by 24" wide by 26" tall
Giant.........700....43 lbs...48"L by 32"W by 35"H.......43" long by 31" wide by 34" tall
Perhaps you could purchase the crates to be shipped to the destination instead of dragging them over empty??

Last edited by adamki; Feb 19, 14 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 19, 14, 4:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Galgos? I am guessing the CRJ won't accommodate them. Can you arrange for a larger aircraft flight ex-IAD or BWI? (I am saying this without knowing the AA flight schedule...)
Old Feb 19, 14, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
"XL / extra large" is a 'Series 500' kennel. Those, when assembled, are not accepted for transport on any type of RJ. CRJs and ERJs accept 400-size kennels at most. When disassembled and the halves stacked together, they fit through the cargo door but I don't know if AA will accept them, or, for that matter, decides to treat them as regular baggage and charge you the $150 oversize fee - I think the resulting package (especially when you have a few of them stacked together) will exceed the 62 linear inches baggage limit....
AA lists the cargo specs on aa.com: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/crj700.jsp.

Measure out the whole package and write to AA.

And adamki has a valid point: When I brought my dog from Spain, I purchased a kennel online (link) and had it delivered to the shelter I picked her up from.
Old Feb 20, 14, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's helpful. We'll probably either buy (yet another...) crate in Spain for the return with the dogs, or ship our collection over via bulk cargo ahead of our trip.

I didn't give all the details, but we're not even planning to bring the dogs on the CRJ flight back to DC. The return is MAD-JFK only and then we'll drive them back to DC from there.
Old Feb 20, 14, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah! That makes a difference. Bulk sea cargo over may save money, but maybe buying the kennels online with Spain delivery and then selling the kennels in the US as used might bring in some partial offset to the expenses; at least you won't have to pay to have them carried both ways.

You guys are going to look like US cargo ports - more containers stacked every month from the imbalance of trade.

We're going to BCN this April - but we'll be on an open jaw returning from FCO three weeks later.

Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. We'll probably either buy (yet another...) crate in Spain for the return with the dogs, or ship our collection over via bulk cargo ahead of our trip.

I didn't give all the details, but we're not even planning to bring the dogs on the CRJ flight back to DC. The return is MAD-JFK only and then we'll drive them back to DC from there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: