AA shuttle service

Old Oct 1, 02, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
AA shuttle service

Took the shuttle: LGA-BOS-LGA. I was in 2A and then 3B.

The checkin at LGA has a special line for shuttle pax. Security line wasn't bad (no elite line). Gate was close.
There were literally 7 security people and a supervisor taking notes in the waiting area for the boarding of this flight. They did extra security checks on a few pax. (did not nab the first person).

They used a jet bridge (which obviously wasn't made for mating to a regional jet--the fit was a little awkward with a homemade ramp addition).

Gate area didn't have the full array of magazines like USairways/Delta shuttle areas but did have copies of nyt, wsj, ft and usatoday hidden on the jetbridge after they take yr boarding pass.

The BOS checkin was pretty much the same routine as at LGA.

Discovered that the best seats on this RJ are:

3B (aisle bulk head with lots of legroom)
3C (also bulkhead, but with encroaching wall of plane) (3A is not bulkhead and just normal seat)

However, even the EXP desk will not assign 3B and 3C seats; they told me that they were reserved for handicapped pax (this was two days before the flight). So I just took 3A so I could scoot over when no handicapped pax showed up, but I asked again at the checkin counter and they did give me 3B 30 min before the flight.

After 3B or 3C, then I would probably take the B seat in either of the exit rows which have a little more leg room, then the A or C seats in the exit rows.

1A is a bulk head seat that seems to be slightly better than the normal seat, but not as nice as 3B or 3C bulkhead seats.

The normal seats are terrible. I'm 6' and my knees were jammed against the seat in front of me; could not get comfortable. And the A and C window seats have foot space stolen by the curving in sides of the plane.

Breakfast from BOS was a drink and a bagel w/ cream cheese. Breakfast from LGA was a coke and a smile. (both had young and probably new FA, but professional and cheerful. (and non union on AA eagle right?))

One FA encouraged people in 1A and 2A to move to other seats, probably b/c otherwise the FAs have no privacy in the galley if people in those seats are looking at them all the time.

Its 183 status miles to LGA-BOS, then a round up to 500 then an elite double gives 1k miles to start, then the triple miles promotion gives another 1k; plus 500 for aa.com booking, all times two, and thats 5000 miles total round trip.

The plane wasn't bad--for a short flight it is bearable. But it still isn't as quick or as comfortable as the established shuttles (I miss all those magazines too), and after the triple miles promotion ends, I'd be very tempted to go back to the other shuttles.

[This message has been edited by mre2b9 (edited 10-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mre2b9 (edited 10-06-2002).]
Old Oct 1, 02, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I always request 1A when I fly on an ERJ as I like the feeling of being by myself and the fact that I am the first to disembark. There is a special cabinet of the -145s for carry-on bags, but I do not think there is one on the -135s (or least it wasn't offered to me).

I hope to try the shuttle operation at some point.
Old Oct 1, 02, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM, UA Gold, AA GLD/1MM, Nat'l Exec, Marriott Gold, Vino Volo Reserve
i saw the shuttle checkin line at BOS yesterday. it's also the elite checkin line--"executive platinum, platinum, gold, laguardia, reagan national passengers only".

i took ERJ-135's to ISP and back yesterday--it's worth noting that on the 135's, row 2 is the bulkhead row you prefer--i sat there both ways without seatmates, and it is a nice ride. on the 140's and 145's, it's row 3. the shuttle is a mix of 135's and 140's, so you don't get consistency across flights.

also, the FA did offer to store bags in the closet for the passenger in 1A on one of the flights, so the 135 does have the closet. this particular FA pointed the passenger at the overheads first, and only when it became clear the bag would not fit did she offer the closet.

we had to wait for ground crew both departing and arriving yesterday. i hope this shuttle isn't dragging down the rest of the eagle operation at logan.
Old Oct 1, 02, 6:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Unless they have decertified their union, the Eagle F/As are unionized. At least they were in 1996.
Old Oct 1, 02, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
Thanks for the great report. I'm taking the Shuttle on DCA-LGA on Saturday and having just taken US on this route, I'm anxious to see what AA has to offer.
Old Oct 1, 02, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Its 183 status miles to LGA-BOS, then a round up to 500 then an elite double gives 1k miles to start, then the triple miles promotion gives another 1k; plus 500 for aa.com booking, all times two, and thats 5000 miles total round trip.
</font>
Wouldn't it be 4500 miles as the 500 miles for booking online would only count once. Or did you make 2 separate one way aa.com reservations?
Old Oct 1, 02, 7:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Its 183 status miles to LGA-BOS, then a round up to 500 then an elite double gives 1k miles to start, then the triple miles promotion gives another 1k; plus 500 for aa.com booking, all times two, and thats 5000 miles total round trip.</font>
What did you pay?

------------------
[email protected]
Old Oct 1, 02, 9:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by becket5:
Wouldn't it be 4500 miles as the 500 miles for booking online would only count once. Or did you make 2 separate one way aa.com reservations?</font>
AA gives 1000 miles for booking a RT online.
Old Oct 1, 02, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
It's 1000 miles total where you get 500 miles per segment.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johnep1:
AA gives 1000 miles for booking a RT online.</font>
Old Oct 2, 02, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
The lowest I saw was $129 RT (for midday weekend flights), I paid $231 (sat and mon morning flights), the highest I saw was in the $400's I think.

Thanks for the info re seating on other RJ's.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doug-jensen:
What did you pay?

</font>
Old Oct 6, 02, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
I flew DCA-LGA earlier today and was completely unimpressed. No drink service. No newspapers. No jetway at LGA. Maybe because I flew on a Saturday but I believe DL & US provide beverages and jetways.
Old Oct 6, 02, 9:34 am

Although I have not flown the AA shuttle yet if choosing between US and Delta I would choose US. The Delta shuttle terminal at LGA is the Marine Terminal which is old and out of the way. Secondly, the Delta shuttle does not have reserved seat assignments hence you choose your seat once on board. US on the other hand has a relatively brand new terminal with great eateries, and advanced reserved seats.
Old Oct 6, 02, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaflyer81:
Although I have not flown the AA shuttle yet if choosing between US and Delta I would choose US. The Delta shuttle terminal at LGA is the Marine Terminal which is old and out of the way. Secondly, the Delta shuttle does not have reserved seat assignments hence you choose your seat once on board. US on the other hand has a relatively brand new terminal with great eateries, and advanced reserved seats.</font>
Delta has a better selection of newspapers and magazines usually and I like being able to sit wherever I want, especially if there is someone I know or someone of interest.

I, however, avoid Delta like the plague on domestic flights otherwise.
Old Oct 6, 02, 10:39 am
J S

I have not flown the AA shuttle (I fly the Delta shuttle often and the USAir shuttle occaisionally).

I must say, however, that I am a bit baffled by it. If you have your choice between a relatively comfortable A320 or equivalent and a regional jet, why would you pick the regional jet? It is not as if the other two shuttles are actually selling out. Sure, there are a couple of reasonably comfortable seats on the RJ's, but all of the seats on the larger planes are at least as comfortable.

Miles are nice, but not nice enough to give up comfort on the 7:30 am shuttle. Oh, and the competition is giving triple STATUS miles.
-JS

P.S. I love the marine air terminal--easy-in, easy-out.
Old Oct 6, 02, 5:43 pm

Agree with J.S. that the incentives are, so far, too weak. But if AA offers more -- lots more, I suppose -- I might make the switch.

Search this Thread