Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA iOS app updated: includes mention of 'additional upgrade opportunities'

Old Feb 1, 14, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold

iOS app was upgraded to version 3.2 today. Featured enhancements:

- Additional upgrade opportunities available for purchase if a credit card is stored in your AAdvantage profile. To store a credit card, simply go to aa.com and update your Reservation Preferences in your AAdvantage profile.

- GPS and traffic alerts 4 hours prior to departure for iOS

- Passbook push notifications for flight cancellations.

Here's hoping the 'additional upgrade opportunities available for purchase' follow the same process currently being used at check in kiosks and online...offered only once all elite upgrade requests have been honored.
Old Feb 1, 14, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Cool. AA's app is quite good already IMO, so this just makes it a little nicer. I'm glad they spend the time / money to develop their mobile apps, a lot of other carriers (*cough* US Airways *cough*) seem like they couldn't care less about theirs.
Old Feb 1, 14, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by WNLuvr View Post
- Additional upgrade opportunities available for purchase if a credit card is stored in your AAdvantage profile.
AA.com now also has language that suggests you add a CC to your profile in order to make onboard purchases with your phone. I don't know what sort of purchases, and that's all the detail they provided.
Old Feb 1, 14, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Maybe it's a way to just purchase stickers through the app?

No need to jump to "ZOMG!!11 Their not looking at they're elite flyers!"

Yes, I know the grammar there is going to make some of you twitch in frustration.
Old Feb 1, 14, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Rather than GPS and traffic notifications, how about adding more features like the United app? I'd love to see more info about the planes like booked capacity, standby and upgrade lists (for all flights, not just the ones I'm on, and at least 24 hours in advance), origin of incoming flights, etc. as well as the ability to book award tickets.
Old Feb 2, 14, 12:38 am

The ability to book award flights, or at least view award flight inventory ( saaver level) would be killer, though I do agree it is a pretty good app as it was before the update.
Old Feb 2, 14, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by WNLuvr View Post
iOS app was upgraded to version 3.2 today. Featured enhancements:

- Additional upgrade opportunities available for purchase if a credit card is stored in your AAdvantage profile. To store a credit card, simply go to aa.com and update your Reservation Preferences in your AAdvantage profile.
Wow, an incentive to increase your risk by storing credit card info
Why do they need this to give you more upgrade opportunities?
Old Feb 2, 14, 7:24 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Wow, an incentive to increase your risk by storing credit card info
... so we can get all up in arms about it.
Old Feb 2, 14, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I bet it's so they can sell you stuff you didn't know you even needed and that you cannot afford (that's the American way of slaved-to-debt living, isn't it?)

If they already have your CC info, they can push an alert to you saying "instant upgrade for $xxx* - click here within 20 seconds to accept [*nonrefundable]" with a big countdown clock. They would get a much higher take rate than if people have to dig out their CC to make purchase, which allows them more time to make a rational decision as to whether the expense is justified.

Pure speculation.
Old Feb 2, 14, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
I'd love to see more info about the planes like booked capacity, standby and upgrade lists (for all flights, not just the ones I'm on, and at least 24 hours in advance), origin of incoming flights, etc.
+1

Even US's web app gives its customers all of this information. Must be a SHARES thing.

The incoming flight info is already available from the AA web app (mobile.aa.com), but since that app doesn't allow for boarding pass it's not a seamless process if you start from the downloadable (and privacy-busting) app (i.e. it requires re-entering your flight info)
Old Feb 2, 14, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
AA.com now also has language that suggests you add a CC to your profile in order to make onboard purchases with your phone. I don't know what sort of purchases, and that's all the detail they provided.
I suspect that would be the food and drinks available for sale in economy, and possibly duty free on international flights
Old Feb 2, 14, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
I bet it's so they can sell you stuff you didn't know you even needed and that you cannot afford (that's the American way of slaved-to-debt living, isn't it?)
That explains the growth of Apple
Old Feb 2, 14, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by _kurt View Post
I don't know what sort of purchases, and that's all the detail they provided.
Sandwiches... if they have any left after the first row lol.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: