FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   SWISS Awards across Atlantic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/154741-swiss-awards-across-atlantic.html)

mktozd Apr 8, 2002 2:00 am

SWISS Awards across Atlantic?

I just got off the phone and was told that we CANNOT claim awards on Swiss across the Atlantic? According to the website and articles that I have read we still can. Have I missed something major? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Also, can anyone remind me of the awards codes for pairs of tickets on AA, IB or LW that are about to expire?

ExecDeskRep Apr 8, 2002 6:18 am

Swiss Air Group includes Swiss Air, Cross Air, Sabena and Lot Polish Airlines. Sabena (SN) flights are the only ones of the Swiss Group that cannot be used transatlantic.

All of the 2-person awards need to be claimed by 6/30/02.

ExecDeskRep

sjharte Apr 8, 2002 7:59 am

sabena can't be used because it is no more and the new Belgian airline does not currently fly transatlantic.

mktozd Apr 8, 2002 2:56 pm

Thank you ExecDeskRep & sjharte, that sounds like it might work out just right for my plans.

hillrider Apr 8, 2002 3:38 pm

Uh??

The following awards are available on the Atlantic on SWISS:

Between North America and Europe/North Africa * Award Code
Economy Class - Off Peak (valid for travel Oct. 15 - May 15, inclusive) SR40A
Economy Class SR60A
Business Class SR90C
First Class SR125A
* These awards entitle you to travel on SWISS or American Airlines/American Eagle. Award travel is subject to availability and may not be valid on routes operated by other carriers.

Take a look at http://new.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnerType=Air and click on SWISS.

dgordon Oct 17, 2002 10:06 pm

How would you compare flying Swiss vs British Air vs Iberia vs American transatlantic?

------------------
Ms.DtG

cxn Oct 17, 2002 10:42 pm

Coach, I would pick AA for MRTC.

Business, I would go with BA.

Mr. Strong Oct 17, 2002 10:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dgordon:
How would you compare flying Swiss vs British Air vs Iberia vs American transatlantic?</font>
In First, I'd say LX and BA are about equal. I refer to LX First as my Helvetian High. I haven't flown AA First transatlantic, primarily because I feel that there are better alternatives in First.

In Business, I'd fly BA. AA has a much better product than LX...for now. LX has plans to upgrade their Business class product to include sleeper seats and other amenities.

I would rather not fly Iberia across the Atlantic.

sergio Oct 18, 2002 3:14 am

I like Swiss' service more than AA. Try it, you'll like it too!

Unterwegs Oct 18, 2002 4:12 am

I am just in the middle of a 125 K award on Swiss. STR-LAX-LAS and back. Got it about 4 weeks ago.
Swiss F is superior to AA in my opinion.
Seats have more space than the AA suites (4 across on a MD11, parallel to the windows).
Actually i checked AA first for the days i wanted to travel - no seats. Swiss was open.

JonNYC Oct 18, 2002 9:00 am

SWISS F-class seats, in the 1-2-1 config are actually my favorite among all carriers that are available with AA miles (yes, CX included.) Service and food are not up to CX standards-- but very, very good. The seats however, although a little old, are F-class perfection, IMHO, both for sleeping and relaxing.

dgordon Oct 18, 2002 1:23 pm

I'm planning an award ticket to Tunisia. On BA, I can get business class for 75K. On AA, it is actually Swiss Air or Iberia for 90K.
Swiss is Direct through Zurich. So it breaks down to Swiss Air vs. British Air (by the way it takes 150K AA miles to fly BA, and only 80K BA miles to fly BA(current discount 5K if booked on web before Dec 31). Isn't that ridiculous.
Ms.DtG

[This message has been edited by dgordon (edited 10-18-2002).]

ynewman Oct 18, 2002 3:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dgordon:
I'm planning an award ticket to Tunisia. On BA, I can get business class for 75K. On AA, it is actually Swiss Air or Iberia for 90K. I don't know if the Swiss Air schedule is any better as with BA there is a loss of a day in London - the flight arrives AFTER the flight to Tunis departs so I would have to wait until the next day. So Ba flies through London, Swiss Air through Zurich. Somehow I thought Iberia went through Turkey, so maybe I am mixing up that airline. All along I have been thinking BA, but the scheduling is a little more complicated than expected. I'm glad that they have it online to see (BA that is). I wish the airlines had this.

</font>
Iberia probably flies through Madrid or Barcelona. Turkish is more likely to go through Istanbul...

If your miles are on American, any award will include a transatlantic flight on AA. You should be able to find one that arrives before the BA flight to Tunisa departs, thus avoiding a loss of day.