What JFK-LHR (and back) flights tend to clear the most?

Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
What JFK-LHR (and back) flights tend to clear the most?

Now that the 77W has been operating for a little while (though, they are expanding service in May, right?), do we have any ideas as to:

1). How likely SWU's are to clear on these routes?
and
2). Which flights are best in order to clear?

I'm looking at flights all the way out in October/November which are all virtually empty, so I'd be #1 in line presumably. Do at least a few people clear every flight (obviously, I mean usually, not always), or are these really battleground flights similar to JFK-LAX?

EDIT: If it helps, I'm flying Friday night, returning Wednesday daytime.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Looking to book this ASAP - if anyone has any clarity, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum / Marriott Lifetime Titanium / National Executive Elite / Avis President's Circle
I have good luck with 104/105 and 106/105 from JFK to LHR, but usually on weekends, rarely during the week.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by callmedtop

EDIT: If it helps, I'm flying Friday night, returning Wednesday daytime.
Friday night is often the most difficult for clearing. If possible (and AA Is offering it: book the daytime flight)

On the return LHR-JFK, the easiest to clear is the last departing flight, c. 6:00 pm, arriving JFK c. 9 pm. The late arrival remove the competition w/pax whose final destination is further west and don't have options for connecting flights that will get them home that day.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Would leaving Thursday night greatly increase chances? Or is it a wash and not worth taking an extra day off?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:47 am

I also find the later flights work better going Eastbound - 100 and 106 you are generally competing with the entire City of London and corporate contract upgrades. When AA reinstates the later departures (9pm or the 11pm) I would go with those - more leisure travelers.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
I also find the later flights work better going Eastbound - 100 and 106 you are generally competing with the entire City of London and corporate contract upgrades. When AA reinstates the later departures (9pm or the 11pm) I would go with those - more leisure travelers.
Do you mean the 9:35pm 104? Can't find an 11pm flight.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Friday night is often the most difficult for clearing. If possible (and AA Is offering it: book the daytime flight)

On the return LHR-JFK, the easiest to clear is the last departing flight, c. 6:00 pm, arriving JFK c. 9 pm. The late arrival remove the competition w/pax whose final destination is further west and don't have options for connecting flights that will get them home that day.
Unfortunately that's me, as I'm going through to Boston. Latest flight I can take is the 105 leaving at 2:50pm.

Currently plan is to do 104 JFK-LHR leaving at 9:35pm (latest flight), and 105 LHR-JFK leaving at 2:50pm (middle flight, one at ~11am, and another at 5pm).

Ideally I'd have liked to do the earliest flight from JFK (100, leaves at 7:10pm), but if the chances for SWU are that much lower I'll suck it up and do the latest flight. What about the one in the middle, AA 106 leaving at 8:30pm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.