FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Flying in Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/154506-flying-brazil.html)

Indo-flyer Oct 4, 2002 8:02 pm

Flying in Brazil

Taking AA in January LAX-MIA-GRU, but would like to go to Manaus, Brasilia and Rio. Are there any special discounts available for flights in the country,like an airpass, connected with the AA flight?

LLZ Oct 5, 2002 12:03 am

No. TAM and Varig might offer those types of things...most always they must be purchased outside the country...call them an find out.

Norway_Asia Oct 5, 2002 3:40 am

Hi, I just arrived in GRU yesterday (AA from DFW) and continued to GYN on RG.

I am not sure if you know, but the airlines here in Brasil have special fares that can not be purchased outside the country - at least not through the normal "channels" as they are not published.

If you call the airlines directly in Brasil, you might get better fares for domestic flights.

Good luck!

flipside Oct 5, 2002 9:47 am

TAM offers an airpass on their website www.tam.com.br

Also, there's a new-ish southwest copycat airline down here called "Gol" with super cheap fares to just about everywhere in Brazil. When I say copycat, I mean it. They have an all new 737 fleet, no meals, and a 20 minute turnaround time. I'd point you to their website, but it's in Portuguese and you require a Brazilian CPF and address to book.

The best thing to do would be to book the flights when you get here through a local travel agent.

Flip

Indo-flyer Oct 5, 2002 11:08 am

Thanks so much. I will call AA and check with them and also with my friend in GRU. However, last time (1999)trip to Manaus was $700 US on Varig via in country TA. Will definitely do better this time.

drtravels Oct 5, 2002 5:30 pm

Both Varig and TAM offer airpasses. You might consider buying a cheap OW GRU-GIG after you arrive in the local currency. SHouldn't be any problem as ther are many flights but you may go to the Santos Dumont airport which is closer to the beach than GIG.

THe Brasilia/Manaus might be accomplished by an award ticket on Varig or TAM (from AA) that allows a stop in Brasilia to or from Manaus

MAH4546 Oct 6, 2002 6:11 pm

On a side note, but TAM used to offer daily Miami-Brasilia service via Manaus with an A320. It was introduced in July 2001, and was cut in October as, of course, it did not have proper time to develop. It may return in spring 2003. Varig flies Miami-Manaus non-stop on Saturdays.

pb9997 Oct 7, 2002 8:46 am

Being a foreigner I'd definitely give a try to TAM or VARIG in order for you to experience the superior Brazilian domestic service.

Though GOL might have interesting prices you can always find a match at TAM given an advanced purchase time. At TAM not only will you experience a higher level of service flying economy but you can also accrue AA miles if that's important for you.

Use a travel agent (e-mail me if you need references) and for 350 USD you'll be able to book your Manaus trip with a Brasilia and another city stop-over included.

Enjoy Amazonia! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

hillrider Oct 7, 2002 9:40 am

Contrary to the norm, non-Brazilian published fares for TAM are currently better than those published for within Brazil. They are WTAM1 fares, and you can read the rules on Travelocity -- for example, GRU-MAO is only $184 each way, it includes 2 free stopovers, and the entire thing minus $25 is refundable!

Your entire intinerary on published, mile earning, fares on TAM will cost you no more than $384 if bought in the US, seemingly more (~$520 at today's exchange rate) if bought in Brazil. This is the first time I've seen this.

bonusflyer Oct 7, 2002 2:32 pm

You can purchase TAM's Brazil Pass even if you take AA into Brazil. All TAM flights will earn you AAdvantage miles (whereas I believe you will not earn UA miles on Varig's shuttle between Sao Paulo Congonhas and Rio Santos Dumont). TAM has the best domestic service in Brazil, meals and alcohol are served on flights of any duration. GOL is a pretty good airline too, but no inflight meals and less frequencies compared to TAM and Varig.

Norway_Asia Oct 7, 2002 4:36 pm

I flew GYN-GRU on RG yesterday (and AA GRU-JFK-LHR where I am now), and also bought a S-class one-way ticket for the same segment (GYN-GRU) for my girfriend.

I was not able to double-check it, but the agent said that as of yesterday (OCT06) they have increased the lowest fares about 20%.

Now, the GYN-GRU is around R$330 compared to R$275 last week when i bought mine....

But again with R$/US$ at 3,70-3,80 it is still reasonable...

pb9997 Oct 7, 2002 5:57 pm

RG and others have in fact increased their fares(16%) in local currency as fuel is paid in USD... Probably in USD they've become even cheaper...