Minimum Connect Times at JFK

Old Oct 6, 02, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Minimum Connect Times at JFK

I've looked at aa.com and cannot find any information about MCT at any US airport. If it is there but I am missing it I would appreciate a link.

I am due to arrive on QF107 at 4:50 p.m. I want to connect to AA1411 to MIA at 5:50 p.m. QF say this is not a valid connection and the system will not accept that as a valid connection. I will clear Immigration and Customs at LAX so that is not problem.

Before any says it, I know I could do LAX-DFW instead, by I am trying to maximise miles on a AOWE4!
Old Oct 6, 02, 1:42 pm

I had a connect time of 50 minutes from AA to Finnair to Moscow, that met the MCT. I would check what terminal Qantas is in though, if it's not 8 or 9 could be bad?
Old Oct 6, 02, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it's a domestic-to-domestic, then 60 minutes is sufficient. I suspect the problem is that QF107 is being treated as an international flight even though you cleared immigration/customs at LAX.

Int'l to domestic at JFK is either 75 minutes or 90 minutes.
Old Oct 6, 02, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, plato90 is correct; there are no exceptions for QFAA connections from the standard 1.00 domestic to domestic MCT, so it is valid (BTW, the standard international to domestic MCT is 1.45). A reservation made on Sabre on QF107 SYDJFK connecting to AA1411 JFKMIA will pass its built-in minimum connection time edit, as it must figure out that the flight does customs in LAX.

Insist with QF.

[This message has been edited by hillrider (edited 10-06-2002).]
Old Oct 6, 02, 9:07 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
As long as you have carry on luggage AND there are seats available on the MIA leg you MAY make it by going to the gate and trying your luck.
The JFK baggage handling is a disgrace in that there are numerous flights coming in at the same time as 107 and it really is a dogs breakfast in getting your bags.
At the end of 24 plus hours the last thing you need is to wait 4 person deep to sight your bag.

Since you can't force the system to accept the flight you want the best thing to do is hope that 107 is on time (usually is a little early) and make a bolt for the gate.
Old Oct 7, 02, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Thanks for the info.

AshleyF - Unfortunatley I will have checked bags as I will be diving on the GBR while in Oz and have my kit with me. There are later flights from LGA to MIA so if things do mess up I have a back-up plan. I probably won't know where I am as I doing a bit of a mad journey. I'm taking the overnight PER-SYD flight and after a 5 hour layover in SYD I'm taking QF107. It will be a mixture of Biz and First so it should be slightly more bareable! I'm heading down to LeSport in St.Lucia for a week and their marketing info says "Give us your body for a week and we will give you back your mind." I'll certainly need rebuilding after my journey!

Search this Thread