Jump seat?

Old Oct 5, 2002, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Jump seat?

Howdy,

Got a question for ya'll. Yesterday I'm in Atlanta (ATL), heading home (CMI). As some of you may have noticed, ORD was having serious delays yesterday. Not a problem for me, I can (and often do) get home via STL.

So anyway - I think because of all the delays and cancelations in ORD my flight to STL ended up being totally overbooked, with a notice that the standby list was full.

They did the normal thing about asking for folks to volunteer to give up seats, etc...

Then I heard an announcement that I've never heard before. I'm not dead sure I got it right, but what I think I heard was:

"If anyone is ERJ or jump seat qualified, please see the gate agent".

I wonder: what is ERJ and/or what is jump seat qualified?

Also - if my speculation that this means they were going to let a passenger ride in the cockpit because they were oversold?

Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard a similar annoucement?

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Oct 5, 2002, 10:28 am

No, they weren't going to let a passenger ride in the cockpit! They may have had a long list of nonrevs and were looking for a pilot to ride in the cockpit to free up a seat in the cabin, or a FA to ride on the jumpseat - you didn't mention the equipment?
Old Oct 5, 2002, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Sorry, had no idea equipment mattered it was an MD-80, identified I think by the metal plate on the door as 82/83? or something like that.

Would that pilot or FA have to be an AA pilot or FA?

Is holding this jump-seat qualification part of being a pilot/FA? Or is something that a small variety of people have?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Pakse
Old Oct 5, 2002, 12:37 pm

To answer your question regarding jumpseat qualifications. The FAA states that no one can occupy a cockpit jumpseat unless they hold a pilots license/FAA inspector license. Passenger and flight attendants are NEVER allowed to ride in the cockpit jumpseat.

On the topic of cabin jumpseats, only American Airlines flight attendants can ride a cabin jumpseat. At no time during flight may any other person sit in this jumpseat. One of the reasons that this is a qualification is because we have very specific emergency procedures. People that are not familiar with emergency evac procedures will get in our way and could cause us delay in getting doors open.

I hope this helps. Trust me when I say this, you don't want to sit on one of these seats. There not known for their comfort. Your butt hurts at the end of a flight

Wayne

Wayne
Old Oct 5, 2002, 2:25 pm

This may vary from airline to airline, but generally FA's can sit in an unstaffed (1 or 2 positions on a MD-80) cabin jumpseat of their own airline; pilots can occupy jumpseats in the cockpit of their own airline.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 2:32 pm

Many international carriers also authorize both cabin and cockpit jumpseat use with prior permission from the PIC for any non-revenue passengers who meet certain criteria.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.