FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Great Experience Today with Award Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/154467-great-experience-today-award-miles.html)

LLZ Oct 1, 2002 9:50 pm

Great Experience Today with Award Miles

Found out yesterday a family member has cancer. Radiation everyday and chemo twice a week. Not sure as to the prognosis..."we'll see," says the Doctor.

Important for me and my mother to be there as much as we can during this. Got on aa.com today and was able to book both tickets with many flight options.

Tried this on CO with whom I still have many miles and all they offered were the "EasyPass" analogous to AA's AAnytime. 50k each way they wanted and no StandardPass available through the end of the year which was ridiculous in this instance, but I looked just to see out of curiosity....nothing!

I was able to get two tickets on AA.com for $100 + plus my earned miles in a difficult time. I won't forget this. AA has already had all of my business for sometime but this reinforces it despite some of my complaints on South American routes.

The worry and hassle out of this was totally devoid (ticket-wise) and I appreciate it. Thanks AA!

mileageman Oct 1, 2002 10:02 pm

I agree, I have over 100,000 sitting in my continental account for years, and they always want 50k for an award.

LLZ Oct 1, 2002 10:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mileageman:
I agree, I have over 100,000 sitting in my continental account for years, and they always want 50k for an award.</font>
You'd think they would want to burn some of those miles while times are lean, but CO simply doesn't want you on their aircraft period unless you are paying, and preferably a full Y or J. Glad I left them. They were bloated with Freddies and big heads when times were good and their service was "ok." Now's the payback. This year AA is getting 100k from me....CO 0!

freakflyer Oct 1, 2002 10:20 pm

I cashed in 200,000 CO miles this summer for a last minute (4 week advance) trip to Europe. It was nice that I could go for free, but still difficult to spend all those miles for one trip.

And the flights both ways were oversold, so I don't think that I had too much of a complaint about using the double mileage (though when I made the reservation the BF section was less than half full).

LLZ Oct 1, 2002 10:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freakflyer:
And the flights both ways were oversold, so I don't think that I had too much of a complaint about using the double mileage (though when I made the reservation the BF section was less than half full).</font>
The BF cabin will then probably leave 1/2 full....maybe 2/3! So you had to use all those miles while some folks are gonna get bumped up paying the cheapest fares....I'd be very interested in knowing if this happens or not. Please post back!

krejcij Oct 3, 2002 9:11 pm

good luck and prayers for you and your family...

freakflyer Oct 3, 2002 9:29 pm

{quote]The BF cabin will then probably leave 1/2 full....maybe 2/3! So you had to use all those miles while some folks are gonna get bumped up paying the cheapest fares....I'd be very interested in knowing if this happens or not. Please post back! [/quote]

Yes, they were bumping people from coach to business. I actually asked to be reseated on the return as the upgraded person next to me smelled like she hadn't washed in weeks. She was so greatful to the airport staff for the upgrade, but my life would have been unbearable for that flight.

------------------
ff

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Fly first class now or your children will</font>

fredmartens Oct 4, 2002 2:22 am

AA was extremely good to me some years back as a lowly non-elite when a family member passed away and I needed to book an AAnytime award. The last minute $$ were waived and I was put on a plane immediately to ORD to attend the funeral. It meant everything to me and my family to be able to do this. It's one of the many reasons that I am loyal to AA today and have been for over 20 years.

Regardless of the financial situation many of our favorite carriers are in, moments like these remind us that these corporations employ folks that have families just like we do...and respond with generosity when we need them.

LLZ, family is everything. All good wishes and prayers, hoping that everything turns out for the best.

oldpenny16 Oct 4, 2002 2:01 pm

Over the years I've had to make a lot of family illness flights. Back in the days when AA would issue you a flight certificate for miles, I used to keep one in my purse for such emergencies.

It often helps to use the telephone as well as AA.com as the airlines' employees often have advice for you in the situation.

Very good luck!

MarkinDallas Oct 4, 2002 9:07 pm

I also have 100,000+ miles sitting in CO which I really don't want to spend at 50,000 miles per ticket.
In the summer CO wanted 37,500 miles (they split the ticket into 12,500 + 25,000 miles) for a ticket that I purchased on AA for about $200.
Mark, Dallas

LLZ Oct 4, 2002 11:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
AA was extremely good to me some years back as a lowly non-elite when a family member passed away and I needed to book an AAnytime award. The last minute $$ were waived and I was put on a plane immediately to ORD to attend the funeral. It meant everything to me and my family to be able to do this. It's one of the many reasons that I am loyal to AA today and have been for over 20 years.

Regardless of the financial situation many of our favorite carriers are in, moments like these remind us that these corporations employ folks that have families just like we do...and respond with generosity when we need them.

LLZ, family is everything. All good wishes and prayers, hoping that everything turns out for the best.
</font>
Thank you both krejcij and fredmartens. This does mean a lot to both of us and I'm glad AA is honoring and facilitating their part of the deal for my continued business...makes it much easier to try and bring some happiness to a loved-one that is in a bad situation (not that we're giving up hope!)

afrugal1 Oct 5, 2002 2:08 pm

Best wishes, LLZ.