Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best AA [LAX/JFK or LGA] Flights for Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Best AA [LAX/JFK or LGA] Flights for Upgrade

Which flights to and from LAX/JFK or LGA am I most likely to be upgraded on? I'm Platinum, soon to be ExecP?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Better upgrade odds on connecting itineraries via ORD or SFO. But worse product via ORD (and mixed bag via SFO).

Given that you asked about LGA, I assume you're looking for connecting itineraries. The nonstops have lower upgrade odds, although in the meantime the 762 nonstops may have better upgrade odds as full-fare premium passengers flock to the new A321T.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Day of the week also makes a big difference. If you're flexible, Saturdays are always best.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Better upgrade odds on connecting itineraries via ORD or SFO. But worse product via ORD (and mixed bag via SFO).

Given that you asked about LGA, I assume you're looking for connecting itineraries. The nonstops have lower upgrade odds, although in the meantime the 762 nonstops may have better upgrade odds as full-fare premium passengers flock to the new A321T.
I've never missed an upgrade on a 762 on the Thursday night redeye LAX - JFK (which should be one of the most full flights given the day of the week and the timetime).

It usually ends up being completely full but the last couple of times I actually cleared at the 100 hour window for it (1/9 being the most recent time I took the flight)

Haven't flown on an A321 yet so I have no insight into upgrades clearing on that one
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
IMO the easiest upgrade on the NYC-LAX route would be LGA-BNA-LAX. Possibly also JFK-LAS-LAX.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-MSP while it lasts
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I've never missed an upgrade on a 762 on the Thursday night redeye LAX - JFK (which should be one of the most full flights given the day of the week and the timetime).

It usually ends up being completely full but the last couple of times I actually cleared at the 100 hour window for it (1/9 being the most recent time I took the flight)

Haven't flown on an A321 yet so I have no insight into upgrades clearing on that one
As PLT, I am 1 for 1 this year due to upgrading a Thursday night redeye on Jan 2 going LAX-JFK.... which turned into LAX-IAD-Bus to JFK. Continuing the trip on Jan 17, I was lucky enough to be on a fairly empty AA 100 to LHR, where middle sections we unoccupied. Unfortunately, I was too late to jump into one. So, I settled for an aisle in 16 (77W) with no middle seat person between me and the guy at the window. Luckily, even my LHR-TLV flight had an empty middle seat next to me. Why can't there always be an empty seat next to me when I fly in Y?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by DWFI
IMO the easiest upgrade on the NYC-LAX route would be LGA-BNA-LAX. Possibly also JFK-LAS-LAX.
Hmmm. as Concierge Key/Executive Platinum, I've missed the last four months out of BNA (including last night) although I was not connecting and that would give a higher priority. But I would not advise BNA as a route to try and get the easier upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Hmmm. as Concierge Key/Executive Platinum, I've missed the last four months out of BNA (including last night) although I was not connecting and that would give a higher priority. But I would not advise BNA as a route to try and get the easier upgrade.
Really? That contrasts dramatically from my experience. What day of the week was it and was it the morning or evening flight?

Every time I have flown LAX BNA, I have not just cleared, I have easily cleared.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by flyerdude88

My upgrades for JFK-LAX (and back) clear pretty early most of the time. I've missed one or two in the last 2.5 years of being EXP (out of maybe 50 one-ways?). The only close calls I've had have involved AA10.

JFK-LAS-LAX leaves a lot to be desired in terms of frequencies. Connecting at a spoke is also never fun.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
My upgrades for JFK-LAX (and back) clear pretty early most of the time. I've missed one or two in the last 2.5 years of being EXP (out of maybe 50 one-ways?). The only close calls I've had have involved AA10.
I've never actually done AA10. I find it leaves too early for me to fall asleep and since the flight often comes in well under 5 hours.

That's another consideration for the OP, if you're looking for a redeye, AA 30 (1125pm departure) tends to be a bit less full than AA 10 (9:15 departure), at least in my experience.

Also remember if you get upgraded on LAX - JFK (and v.v.) ahead of time you get access to the AC on the grounds of being a J passenger on an LAX - JFK (and v.v.) flight. However if you end up on LAX - XXX - JFK/ LGA you will not be entitled to free access to the AC. Irrelevant if you're an AC member but if not something to consider
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Wow, maybe my luck just isn't as good? I'm EXP, and fly JFK>LAX (AA33) and LAX>JFK (AA10) home on Thursday night. Pretty much every other week. I'd say that my upgrades clear maybe 50% of the time. True, I've had better luck on the later AA30 redeye flight. Perhaps I'm just picking the busiest flights
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CANYSMW
Which flights to and from LAX/JFK or LGA am I most likely to be upgraded on? I'm Platinum, soon to be ExecP?
Well, it will make a big difference whether you are Platinum or EXP at the time of your flight (or, technically, 100 hours before your flight).

JFK-LAS is either very easy or very difficult, depends on what's going on in LAS at any given time. I've seen flights that were F0/1 for weeks in advance. Maybe one person cleared at the gate.

Separately, a mileage upgrade on, say LGA-DFW-LAX isn't the worst thing (for a Platinum who doesn't have the stickers), if you have the Amex Platinum card and can get the $75 co-pay re-credited.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
BXP-1

Originally Posted by SJC AA

My recent booking may be of interest: SJU-JFK-LAX-HNL, all BC or FC, used cert for FC on A321T, total cost less than $700! If booked separately, looked to be in excess of $7500. 'Course, got to get down to SJU(ORD BC @ $353)and back from HNL, AS FC 37.5K redemption. Loads of RDM, EQP, etc.

"No Borders Just Horizons"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.